B boehmei #1 'bout to shuck.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey y'all, I just found B boehmei #1 flipped and ready. I've had it since 1.75" and this is it's 6th molt. The last molt was 8-11-10. Anyone wanna take a stab at guessing gender? :D

001 by trdavis22, on Flickr

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The molt was fast. I was only gone for approx 25 minutes before returning to find this. :clap:

005 by trdavis22, on Flickr

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yep, it's a boy! An awesome thing I've noted about my captives is that the larger they grow, the faster they get away from the old skin after they've molted. Same scenario with female B.b.2 and A geniculata. Just took this shot- not yet mature unless he's hiding those hooks really well.

006 by trdavis22, on Flickr

of course I'm talking about the living one in reference to "hiding the hooks"- not the exuvia

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats Terry! Cant wait to see some of him already flipped over.. No.. Not yet mature.. You can see he does not have bulbs on the palps.. Congrats either way! :)

Geospider

Arachnopeon
Nice looking tarantula, no its not mature if it is indeed a male because it is missing the boxing gloves on the pedipalps.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Tommy, I'll bet the next one will be his ultimate. Then he'll be ready for B b #2. I'm a little less leery about breeding sacmates after reading through many keeper threads in this matter- but would still prefer to put him on loan or sale and get another for his sister. Cheers, Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tommy, He was upright when I retrieved the molt. I moved the enclosure a little more to get a better pic and he began doing the rapid "pedipalp flicking" behavior that both he and his sister do frequently. This always seems to happen before kicking so not wanting to disturb any further, I slowly put the lid back on and left him in peace. He's a stunner, though! :)

Geospider, Yeah, I noticed that. I was kinda joking about the situation earlier. It takes awhile to catch on to my feeble attempts at dry humor. ;)

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Goodness Terry, look at all them boys, hope you get at least one successful loan
but my advise trade them for few slings ;)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Ana, That's probably what I'll end up doing. I figure the klugi, once mature, will be worth a juvy female B albiceps- or something along those lines. :)
Terry