B. baumgarteni

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I'm also going with saying that your specimens are B. Boehmei.. but it's just my opinion, wait till Jose chimes in :p

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey,

I have paid 100$ for the couple , they are cheaper in EU than in US .. but anyway it's still not cheap.

one more ..

Last edited:

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've made some better shots , still everyone thinks it's boehmei ? The female is looking kinda suspicious (maybe a hybrid ). I guess we'll get better answers when she molts.

The Weed Man

Arachnopeon
Yeah a molt definatly will help out but I think at that size if it was a hybrid it would still have the black on the carapace. If my female in indeed a hybrid you can reference her. Shes a few pages back. I think page 12. Im still not sure what to believe about the boehmei and baumgarteni still leaves me scratching my head. Hopefully we will get more evidence and info when the baumgarteni slings that a few of us have end up being the real thing like jose's female that passed away.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Got this today as a couple of B.baumgarteni.. what do you think guys?! I think both are b.boehmei.. at least male looks so!

Definitely not Brachypelma baumgarteni. Leaning towards Brachypelma boehmei, hybrid? Possibly!

If it is hybrid to early to tell I've had one hybrid with the black carapace, once my spider molted the black carapace disappeared. Molted again and all of the sudden the black carapace appeared. From that point on the black carapace never went away on each molt. It was strange, I felt that the spider was confused of what identity wanted to be.

In regards of the boehmei/baumgarteni hybrid, is a possibility at any size. Unless you know the breeder and you have witness or seen the mature male and the mature female that your specimen came from. I definitely would not disregard the fact that it might be a hybrid, but like I said I'm leaning that your specimen as boehmei for now.

On post #224 you provided other photos of your specimens. The first three photos of one of your specimen looks more boehmei than the last three photos of the other specimen. You can clearly see a difference of the coloration on the legs that it is lighter than the other. Now the bad part of this is, if both specimens are sac mates you will have issues of both specimen being hybrid. Since you have both spiders do you see a difference coloration on both of your spiders? Or is it just me seeing differently?
Like I said this days hybrid is a possibility between the boehmei/baumgarteni. Let your two spiders grow and show their progress.
I could be wrong, this is just my best input I got to offer you at this point in time.

Last edited:

The Weed Man

Arachnopeon
Two weeks after post molt. Same specimen from post #216

Decided to post another photo of the same specimen from the previous post. The colors seem to have settled in a bit better so I wanted to show an update pic.

Attachments

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Definitely not Brachypelma baumgarteni. Leaning towards Brachypelma boehmei, hybrid? Possibly!

If it is hybrid to early to tell I've had one hybrid with the black carapace, once my spider molted the black carapace disappeared. Molted again and all of the sudden the black carapace appeared. From that point on the black carapace never went away on each molt. It was strange, I felt that the spider was confused of what identity wanted to be.

In regards of the boehmei/baumgarteni hybrid, is a possibility at any size. Unless you know the breeder and you have witness or seen the mature male and the mature female that your specimen came from. I definitely would not disregard the fact that it might be a hybrid, but like I said I'm leaning that your specimen as boehmei for now.

On post #224 you provided other photos of your specimens. The first three photos of one of your specimen looks more boehmei than the last three photos of the other specimen. You can clearly see a difference of the coloration on the legs that it is lighter than the other. Now the bad part of this is, if both specimens are sac mates you will have issues of both specimen being hybrid. Since you have both spiders do you see a difference coloration on both of your spiders? Or is it just me seeing differently?
Like I said this days hybrid is a possibility between the boehmei/baumgarteni. Let your two spiders grow and show their progress.
I could be wrong, this is just my best input I got to offer you at this point in time.
Thanks Jose!

My female just molted ! Can you confirm this as a boehmei or a possible hybrid ? It's DEF not baumgarteni!

Last edited:

Mako16

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Going by spermathecae to me it's not boehmei. Take a look at this link photo #9 and 10 http://atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11319

Do I believe your specimen to be hybrid? Yes I do. I've had hybrids without the dark carapace as well.

This is my personal opinion and my best guess on your spider from personal experiences on this species/hybrids.
Yeah, form of the spermathecae makes me also insecure!

Some fresh pic's ..

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, form of the spermathecae makes me also insecure!

Some fresh pic's ..

Yeah, I'm not happy with what has happened with both baumgarteni and boehmei. Your spider are pretty but for your female it is safe at this point to say she's a mutt.

Sorry to ruin your day, you had your reasons to post and you followed your instinct.

Last edited:

AnthrpicDecadnc

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IMG_20150804_202119.jpg
female
IMG_20150626_094528.jpg
metatarsus detail
IMG_20150626_094528~2.jpg
spermatheca close up

Typical scenario, bought at that place where the pets go as a boehmei for a cool $70. This is clearly not a pure fire leg. Opinions?

Regardless of her ID, I find her to be a pretty little charmer, and I'm happy with that price even if she is a hybrid.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
View attachment 138147
female
View attachment 138148
metatarsus detail
View attachment 138149
spermatheca close up

Typical scenario, bought at that place where the pets go as a boehmei for a cool $70. This is clearly not a pure fire leg. Opinions?

Regardless of her ID, I find her to be a pretty little charmer, and I'm happy with that price even if she is a hybrid.
It might be same scenario with your specimen that you purchased her as boehmei, but from what I can see from your photo it seems that yours is the real deal of the Brachypelma baumgarteni. Just to be sure can you post a focus clear photo of the metatarsus of your spider? Front legs, sides and back legs please. Not the molt.
The spermathecae of your specimen has the formation of a Brachypelma baumgarteni and I'm also seeing the lightning bolt pattern more vivid than the hybrids I have owned or seen photos of. Please provide a clear photo of the metatarsus thanks.

Last edited:

AnthrpicDecadnc

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
IMG_20150805_065853.jpg
Back
IMG_20150805_065824.jpg
Side
IMG_20150805_070017.jpg
Front

The front was tricky to focus as she was pretty close to the wall of her enclosure (limitations of cell phone cameras). She's such a cutie. She didn't budge throughout the whole shoot :)

Hybrids are always tricky. What I've seen with cichlids is that a hybrid can express certain degrees of each species involved, with some specimens looking closer to one parent than the other to infinite degrees. And it appears to me that fertility is dependant on the actual crossing, with some organisms producing fertile offspring (ex: some flower horns, killer bees) and some being sterile (ex: mules, ligers).

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
View attachment 138151
Back
View attachment 138152
Side
View attachment 138153
Front

The front was tricky to focus as she was pretty close to the wall of her enclosure (limitations of cell phone cameras). She's such a cutie. She didn't budge throughout the whole shoot :)

Hybrids are always tricky. What I've seen with cichlids is that a hybrid can express certain degrees of each species involved, with some specimens looking closer to one parent than the other to infinite degrees. And it appears to me that fertility is dependant on the actual crossing, with some organisms producing fertile offspring (ex: some flower horns, killer bees) and some being sterile (ex: mules, ligers).
Just what I suspected. If your specimen came from a hybrid sack your female picked up a lot of the baumgarteni trait. Therefore in my opinion to me the photo you provided of your specimen has not giving me any indication of yours being hybrid or boehmei. I will says is Brachypelma baumgarteni.

Noticed that your specimen has a lot of the black hairs that surrounds the lightning bolt pattern, which is more vivid than any of the hybrids I have owned or seen. I would not hesitate to purchase an immature male or a sling baumgarteni for your female for future breeding.

At $70.00 I would have purchased her too.
If I'm guessing correctly your specimen is probably between 4" inches to 5" inches, would I be correct? Identity of a spider can be mistaken from where it was purchased.

If someone else wants to take a crack at it, post your opinion.

Last edited:

AnthrpicDecadnc

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you for your input! Yes, she's right about the size you guessed. I'll have to take a ruler to her when I can

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It has been a difficult year

As some of you are aware a few months ago my adult female passed away, now my only one sling that was purchased out of Europe passed away also. My little sling Brachypelma baumgarteni passed away a few weeks ago.

Now it will be up to my friend Travis to post photo of his sling that came from the same batch as the one that I recently own. So unfortunately I won't be posting photo of the sling since she or he is no longer with me.

---------- Post added 08-05-2015 at 07:42 PM ----------

Thank you for your input! Yes, she's right about the size you guessed. I'll have to take a ruler to her when I can
Who did you purchased yours from? You should try to find out more information on your specimen on where she originated from.

If yours came from a hybrid egg sac, it would have not come from the same batch that I purchased my 30+ specimens from LLLREPTILE. My hybrid female is only 3" inches and the hybrid immature male is at 5" inches.

AnthrpicDecadnc

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My condolences on your baumgarteni. It's never fun to lose animals.

I got her (in rough shape) from Petco. I don't think it will be possible to obtain much information other than that unfortunately...

Status
Not open for further replies.