B. annitha sling feeding

Geoff Armentrout

Arachnopeon
I am just curious if anyone that has experience with Brachypelma annitha slings 1/2-3/4" had issues with feeding them? Mine only seem to take pre-killed. They are eating but was curious if this is just an annitha thing or what? Do they prefer smaller prey than 1/8-1/4" crickets? Do they prefer scavenging as small slings?

Thanks,
Geoff

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
In my experience of feeding thousands of slings, of a variety of species, all eat live baby crickets, provided the crickets aren't too large for them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am just curious if anyone that has experience with Brachypelma annitha slings 1/2-3/4" had issues with feeding them? Mine only seem to take pre-killed. They are eating but was curious if this is just an annitha thing or what? Do they prefer smaller prey than 1/8-1/4" crickets? Do they prefer scavenging as small slings?

Thanks,
Geoff
It's not a species thing. It's likely the size of your prey.

I've raised E. sp Red and E sp Yellow which are both some of the most non-aggressive eaters ever, they took live prey. The Ts were 1/4". I've raised Ts smaller than that, they took live as well.

Geoff Armentrout

Arachnopeon
In my experience of feeding thousands of slings, of a variety of species, all eat live baby crickets, provided the crickets aren't too large for them.
Okay guess I need to dig through all the crickets. I actually purchased 1/4" crickets since there are generally pinhead maybe a little bigger and up to 1/2" crickets in the mix but they are growing like weeds. Just glad they eat the prekilled.

It's not a species thing. It's likely the size of your prey.

I've raised E. sp Red and E sp Yellow which are both some of the most non-aggressive eaters ever, they took live prey. The Ts were 1/4". I've raised Ts smaller than that, they took live as well.
It figures these darn crickets are just growing fast. I have other "micro" feeder items but they are fresh cultures and I don't want to remove any before I have established breeding colonies.

Thanks,
Geoff