B. albopilosum Slings Question

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
This weekend I purchased some B. albopilosum slings. I was expecting to get 10 slings but there are more than 20 in the deli cup that they came in. Right now they are all still together in the deli cup and they range in size. Some are small-less than 1/4 in. and some are up to 1/4 in. I want to separate them out of the deli cup into smaller deli cups. What is the easiest way to do this? Thank you all! (any other info. is much appreciated as well! :))

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
At that size its really easy let them crawl out of the cup into the next enclosure. Gently guide them with a tiny soft paint brush, If they walk onto your hand they are to small to bite you. have the new enclosures set up ahead of time. Small condiment cups with holes in them, some substrate and a few strands of sphagnum moss to hold moisture and your done.

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
Okay I have rehomed some of them, still a lot to go. What do you guys think about the homes I made. I will admit they are hard to find inside since they are small and blend in. You can see a couple of the slings in the pics. They are in 5.5 oz condiment cups with eco earth, moss (I sprayed the moss with water), and little cork bark hides that I dug holes under. The lids are covered in holes and the top part of the cup. @viper69 @sdsnybny

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@alissamelody I like deep condiment cups, can't always find them locally.

This is a personal preference, but I tend to not provide moss for small slings (nothing wrong w/it). I like to keep my eyes on them and make sure they are doing well. Also, while efficient ambush predators, with that much moss I'd be concerned the crickets would hide and never come across the T before they died. Then next thing you know, you have a dead cricket growing the cure for cancer in there.

For slings like this, I give them cocofiber and some bark to use for a hide/burrow under. I feed them as often as they will eat and keep them plump.

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
@viper69 Thank you for the advice! I think I did put way too much moss in each one cause I can barely find the slings... I'm gonna remove most of the moss from each one so I can see them better, and I definitely don't want to lose crickets in there either! Do you have any other advice for these slings? I haven't gotten them to eat yet, but that was before I rehoused them and they were all together in a deli cup. Thank you again for your help!
I got the deep condiment cups at walmart surprisingly! They were really cheap and are great!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@viper69 Thank you for the advice! I think I did put way too much moss in each one cause I can barely find the slings... I'm gonna remove most of the moss from each one so I can see them better, and I definitely don't want to lose crickets in there either! Do you have any other advice for these slings? I haven't gotten them to eat yet, but that was before I rehoused them and they were all together in a deli cup. Thank you again for your help!
I got the deep condiment cups at walmart surprisingly! They were really cheap and are great!!
You should put a water bowl in there w/each T. @14pokies knows about these mini plastic ink cups used by tattoo artists. They would be perfect for these guys.

Every sling, but 2, always ate the day I received them in the mail. I believe (no scientific data mind you) shipping stirs up their metabolism.

I'd remove the moss, and drop in a cricket. If they don't eat, remove prey give them a few days to walk around, they will lay down trip wires (you won't be able to see them) etc, then try again. You can't force them to eat per se.

You could also dice up small mealworms, and put a slice in there for each. They will scavenge feed as well.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm wondering if most are only 1st or second instar.. That could explain why the seller felt comfortable shipping them all together and why some are not eating.. I think its a bad idea either way but in this case it seems they all made it safe..

Ink wells viper was refering to 20161003_220534.jpg they can be bought very inexpensively from amazon.com

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
It all looks good except the copious amounts of moss, LOL Just a couple of strands to hold moisture without soaking the sub will do. These are similar just a bit bigger 9oz parfait cups. My slings are 3/4-1"

2016-10-19 16.58.06.jpg 2016-10-19 16.57.56.jpg

Last edited:

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
@viper69 I will do that. I tried group feeding when I purchased them, but that didn't work out. I actually didn't purchase these online; I bought them from someone local who had a sac. I will try some mealworm, was trying pre killed crickets before. I actually might have some ink wells as well in my tattoo equipment; didn't even think about that. Thank you!

@14pokies These slings were listed as 1st instar, but some might be at second. They were not shipped; picked them up in person. I might have some ink wells, thank you!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
1st instar probably wont eat its very rare, they have enough energy from the egg yolk to make it from eggs with legs then 1st instar and finally 2nd instar where they normally are separated and start to eat

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
@sdsnybny Lol I didn't realize it was way too much moss :rolleyes: gonna remove it tonight and just leave one or two strands like you said. I like your setups! Is your sub wet? I can't spot the slings in the pic. How big are yours?

alissamelody

Arachnopeon
1st instar probably wont eat its very rare, they have enough energy from the egg yolk to make it from eggs with legs then 1st instar and finally 2nd instar where they normally are separated and start to eat
I do see molts throughout the substrate that they came in. I think most are in second instar, with some in first. Some are very small and kind of clear ish. While others are bigger and seem to have molted and have a black bump on the abdomen

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
They are @ 1" and are under the small piece of cork bark leaned up against the side.
The sub is barley damp I use a 50/50 mix of coco fiber and top soil.

Sounds like you have a mix of 1st/2nd instar the black bump on the 2nd instar is the urticating hair patch

Lokee85

Arachnoknight