B albopilosum sling stuck in molt

TarantuLover81

Arachnosquire
Hi guys. I have a -.25" B. albopilosum who is mostly complete with a molt but has one front leg stuck...it's Ben like that all day and is upright, walking around dragging the molt, with the front leg pointing up...

What should I do? Thoughts?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Tarantulas do fine without one leg, it will regenerate next molt. if its a 1/4", i'd let it be for a couple days and let it take care of it itself.
if it was bigger, a wet Q-tip could be used to try to slide the molt off.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Exactly as @Venom1080 mentioned.

Ts will remove limbs when needed. Spiderlings can fully regenerate a leg after next moult.

Larger specimens may be helped using Qtip but I prefer to let them handle it naturally too.

Feeding mealworms and fattier feeders has helped Ts regenerate legs to normal quicker IME

TarantuLover81

Arachnosquire
Thanks for your replies. I was able to help it remove the molt by hanging onto it gently while it kinda pulled back in little pulses (we worked together?) but now one leg and one pedipalp is pointing up at a right angle. Should I remove the leg and pedipalp myself or leave it to the T? It will for sure cause problems with future molts.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Thanks for your replies. I was able to help it remove the molt by hanging onto it gently while it kinda pulled back in little pulses (we worked together?) but now one leg and one pedipalp is pointing up at a right angle. Should I remove the leg and pedipalp myself or leave it to the T? It will for sure cause problems with future molts.
Leave it to the T :) They operate leg surgeries on themselves if necessary :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Never pull a leg off yourself, you would likely cause more damage instead of helping.
T's have 'valves' between joints in the legs, and from the legs to the body. If a leg needs to go, it will close the 'valves' between the joints or between the body and the joints.
By doing this, they can discard a leg without leakage of haemolymph (their 'blood').
If you were to do it, the leg gets ripped of before these valves close, and you could cause haemolymph leakage, which is dangerous.

TarantuLover81

Arachnosquire
Thanks...I was leaning toward NOT trying to help for that very reason. I didn't want to cause more damage. I really hope it does cast that leg and pedipalp now so it won't interfere with future molts and it can regenerate a viable, working leg and pedipalp. Thanks again!

cold blood

Staff member
I just had to remove an urticans sling that was stuck in it's molt. It was stuck for a while by the time I got to it so its legs are all messed up but appears to be fine otherwise.

I use reading glasses a wet Q-tip and a fine tipped tweezers and a lot of patience. Had to pull the legs off like socks, it made me so nervous now time will tell.

cold blood

Staff member
The molt off the legs, i didnt pull the legs off, all are intact.

TarantuLover81

Arachnosquire
Thanks cold blood! Please let me know how your urticans does over the next few days. The molt is off my albopilosum but it has a front leg and pedipalp at a 90 degree angle to the ground. I'm just going to let it be for now. Please keep me updated on your sling and I'll do the same.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks cold blood! Please let me know how your urticans does over the next few days. The molt is off my albopilosum but it has a front leg and pedipalp at a 90 degree angle to the ground. I'm just going to let it be for now. Please keep me updated on your sling and I'll do the same.
All you can do is wait and hope for the best, sometimes they make it, sometimes they don't.