B. Albopilosum Sling Questions

Drevj12

Arachnopeon
I've decided for my first T, I'm going to attempt to find a female B. Albopilosum. I've already got a 10 gallon tank in the garage from when my ball python was smaller, but I was told that slings should be kept in deli cups until they grow some. I was just wondering about how big the spider should get before I rehouse it into the 10 gallon tank? Also I've read a few different answers in my research, so just for verification, around how often should a B. Albopilosum sling be fed? Thanks in advance for any information.

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
Slings can be fed every few days once they're a bit bigger once a month. Welcome to the addiction.

Drevj12

Arachnopeon
Slings can be fed every few days once they're a bit bigger once a month. Welcome to the addiction.
Alright. Thanks. And yeah, I've pretty much already laid out a list of T's I want to get some day. But after this first one I'll be focusing on my second snake. I figure I'll go back and forth while building my "evil army of creepy crawly things." As my mom calls it.

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
Alright. Thanks. And yeah, I've pretty much already laid out a list of T's I want to get some day. But after this first one I'll be focusing on my second snake. I figure I'll go back and forth while building my "evil army of creepy crawly things." As my mom calls it.
Believe me that list means nothing, you have one...then 10 then 50 and so on

Drevj12

Arachnopeon
Believe me that list means nothing, you have one...then 10 then 50 and so on
That'll have to be a future goal. I currently have just the space I can make in my room in the basement to work with and plans for more animals than just spiders and snakes. Although I could probably find a way to fit 10 tarantula setups in with 2 or 3 snakes. It'll just take some clever planning. And all of my paychecks. But it's probably worth it.

boina

Lady of the mites
If you are looking to get a sexed female then that isn't going to be a sling. A sexed female will at least be a juvenile, or maybe an adult.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I've decided for my first T, I'm going to attempt to find a female B. Albopilosum. I've already got a 10 gallon tank in the garage from when my ball python was smaller, but I was told that slings should be kept in deli cups until they grow some. I was just wondering about how big the spider should get before I rehouse it into the 10 gallon tank? Also I've read a few different answers in my research, so just for verification, around how often should a B. Albopilosum sling be fed? Thanks in advance for any information.
As adults, most species of tarantula don't need something as large as a 10-gallon tank. It just means more money spent on filling it up with substrate to minimize falling risk, more space taken up, and a heavier tank to move when you're doing maintenance. Since your T will max out at 5-6 inches, a 5.5 gallon tank or something in that size range would be more appropriate when it is fully grown. Make sure to avoid using a screen lid, as this is something tarantulas can catch their tarsal claws in, resulting in a lost leg and/or a fall. A piece of acrylic with air holes cut in it is safer.

Most people feed their slings twice a week until they become juveniles (around 2 inches diagonal leg span.) From there, you can slow it down to once a week. For slings under 1 inch, it's safest to leave pre-killed prey and allow them to scavenge.

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
As adults, most species of tarantula don't need something as large as a 10-gallon tank. It just means more money spent on filling it up with substrate to minimize falling risk, more space taken up, and a heavier tank to move when you're doing maintenance. Since your T will max out at 5-6 inches, a 5.5 gallon tank or something in that size range would be more appropriate when it is fully grown. Make sure to avoid using a screen lid, as this is something tarantulas can catch their tarsal claws in, resulting in a lost leg and/or a fall. A piece of acrylic with air holes cut in it is safer.

Most people feed their slings twice a week until they become juveniles (around 2 inches diagonal leg span.) From there, you can slow it down to once a week. For slings under 1 inch, it's safest to leave pre-killed prey and allow them to scavenge.
Even a 5.5 galloon is on the large size in my opinion, I've go a few large display enclosures but the majority of my ts are in shoe box size to 16"x24" sized containers depending on size and their tendency to burrow . Definitely agree with the feeding prekilled food to slings.