B. albopilosum sitting in water dish

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
My little curly sling is sitting completely in its water dish. I think a little coco fiber got into it, so it's just damp. Yesterday, I assumed it was thirsty, so I added more water to the dish. (After gently coaxing the spider out of course) I also moistened the sub a bit. But it's in there again this morning. I think it has adopted the dish as a hide. Don't you know I can see you there, Little Cutie?
Has this ever happened to any of you before? Do you think it's just very thirsty or using the dish as a hide? It fits perfectly inside the dish.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
there goes that tarantula... tarantula'ing.. haha.

honestly I dont' think anyone knows why they do some of the things they do although this is a new one on me. haha! too cute.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
there goes that tarantula... tarantula'ing.. haha.

honestly I dont' think anyone knows why they do some of the things they do although this is a new one on me. haha! too cute.
That's kinda what I thought. Lemme see if I can get a picture.....

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Before you moisten the sub again, let it dry out a little bit. Leave a small part dry and see which your sling prefers. Mine preferred the dry most of the time but giving it an option is always good.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Before you moisten the sub again, let it dry out a little bit. Leave a small part dry and see which your sling prefers. Mine preferred the dry most of the time but giving it an option is always good.
I agree. I didn't mean for it to get that damp. Fortunately, the little enclosure is well ventilated. It isn't as wet as it looks though.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
But the water dish itself has moisture still in it and is damp....So it being to damp doesn't seem logical I would think it'd be on the sides of the enclosure not the water dish if to damp was the issue for it. Usually when we have Avic's and you see them hovering over the water dish everyone jumps up and says it's not moist enough in there and add more moisture. I don't see why this can't be the same for a terrestrial species at the sling stage. But I dunno. I'm still new to them so I can't say what the right course of action actually is. Giving it a dry/moist option would probably be the best bet like Phormic28 suggested.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
That is adorable! Albo babies are the best. :) give it a few days it will start bulldozeing everything. Hands down my favorite slings. :)

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Was just looking more closely. There is a dry spot under the leaf. So he does have an option. Named him DaVinci!

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
My little curly sling is sitting completely in its water dish. I think a little coco fiber got into it, so it's just damp. Yesterday, I assumed it was thirsty, so I added more water to the dish. (After gently coaxing the spider out of course) I also moistened the sub a bit. But it's in there again this morning. I think it has adopted the dish as a hide. Don't you know I can see you there, Little Cutie?
Has this ever happened to any of you before? Do you think it's just very thirsty or using the dish as a hide? It fits perfectly inside the dish.
Yes a lot. My F B. albopilosum used to wallow in her water dish all the time. I loved to watch her. Let her enjoy herself, she won't drown. Watch her and laugh!

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
My MF A chalcodes does this too. At first I thought she was dehydrated. Then I realized she had adopted the water bowl as a "hide". When disturbed, she runs over and sits in it.. She gets upset when I try to get her to move so I can clean it or add water.
image.jpeg

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Maybe I'll let him keep the one he's in and give him another one for water. Such a cutie. :embarrassed:
Ended up with five in my albo's enclosure when I moved her, I just keep giving them to her. My porteri gal empties hers immediately and buries them. :) got to love these guys. Such a source of enjoyment.
Mine-approx7 months of growth
Then image.jpeg Now image.jpeg

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
My MF A chalcodes does this too. At first I thought she was dehydrated. Then I realized she had adopted the water bowl as a "hide". When disturbed, she runs over and sits in it.. She gets upset when I try to get her to move so I can clean it or add water.
View attachment 219905
Yeah I have an A. seemani youngster who's pretty attached to her dish. In a fanatical, funny way. She also loves to fill it with substrate and lurk at the entrance of her cave hide. I reach for the dish and WHAM! She fills it up again after I've cleaned it and put fresh water again. What a hoot!