B.albopilosum fangs are not working :( *video*

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like its fangs are broken.. Their fngs dont retract like say a cats claws do..

From the video.. They are broken..

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i know they dont retract per say just didnt know what to call what they do. Her fangs are indeed intact when you look at them. I put her in a deli cup and with a flashlight you can see them base to pointed tip.. I dont know what to make of it.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't know what to make of it but consider feeding something prekilled and soft. Try crickets with crushed heads, or superworms. Or maybe even consider a piece of raw hamburger???

Cricket soup anyone?

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that dubia in the video was freshly molted and rather soft already... sigh

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
looking at the vid link they look broken to me? can you post some abdominal pics?

EDIT: Upon further review I can see that the right fang is definitely long and sharp enough to to puncture that roach. Kinda strange? When was the last molt?

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well.. First.. I am going to have to say.. I told you they were not broken! ;P {D

Seriously though.. They did infact look broken in the video.. Its strange that the T is not using them.. I have never read or seen anything like this before..

Has me wondering what is wrong myself... :?

Lorum

Arachnosquire
How much time has she been under your care?
What do you feed her on?
When did she molted (the last time)?

Parasites such as nematodes can cause things like that (immobility of chelicerae), in advanced infestation status.

Also, how long ago did she lost her right palp? It could be a bacterial infection as well (I think).

And, leg movements doesn't seem totally OK for me. It looks like she is slightly dehydrated (I'm not saying she is, but is something similar, like if she had low haemolymph pressure).

apopli

Arachnopeon
There's a post here about making gel food cubes that might be worth trying if she can't eat the insects?

I have no insight on what might be wrong, though, sorry :(

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought her from a user on here about 3 weeks ago, she has not fed in my care and she molted about 2 weeks ago. She lost her palp when she got shipped to me, looks like it fell off during shipping since it was in the box

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Has she had her tetanus shot? :p

Only kidding. I have no idea why she isn't using them. My only guess would be nematodes but from your pictures it doesn't look like she's got em. I'm clueless.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has she had her tetanus shot? :p

Only kidding. I have no idea why she isn't using them. My only guess would be nematodes but from your pictures it doesn't look like she's got em. I'm clueless.
I doubt it nematodes, 'she' is to clean and active, also signs for nematodes chelicera get frozen/paralyzed
this spider use those pretty flawlessly
so.....

must be tetanus thingie :}

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is not funny in the least...It stress me wacthing her like that.

I personally would pinch grab her and investigate whats going on.
They look like they are "included" , like malformed somehow during the molt being attached to the tissue.

It doesnt look like she has any parasites to me, as the "Rusky" said, it looks way to clean and have full movement (quelicera).

I would grabb her and very carefully attempt to get her to open her fangs.

Lorum

Arachnosquire
she molted about 2 weeks ago.
They look like they are "included" , like malformed somehow during the molt being attached to the tissue.
If she was doing just fine before, that could be the cause.

Anyway, feeding her prekilled should be just fine for her, as long as she is able to hold and move her prey properly.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is not funny in the least...It stress me wacthing her like that.

I personally would pinch grab her and investigate whats going on.

It doesnt look like she has any parasites to me, as the "Rusky" said, it looks way to clean and have full movement (quelicera).

I would grabb her and very carefully attempt to get her to open her fangs.
Oh gawd, good thing you have no kids, that stress will kill ya :}
I really dont think anything wrong with her, call me crazy but I think its behavioral, spider looks perfectly healthy
different genera and species have different behavior even when comes to catch a prey
if you you all know what Am talking about
so in this case I would spoil this one a little maybe toss her a drumstick-less cricket

PS, looking back, I remember that just hated deal with roaches and did something like what on that video
crix- totally different story, but not roaches

psssss..s.s I would pinch grab Fran and investigate whats going on {D
in coming....... run and hide

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Either she is too small to pinch grab or just too stressed out, when I grab hold she goes nuts and wiggles free. She is about 2.5 inches.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Either she is too small to pinch grab or just too stressed out, when I grab hold she goes nuts and wiggles free. She is about 2.5 inches.[/QU

I don't think she's too small to pinch grab, the prey looks like a good size for her.. She may still be a little stressed from shipping. I've always waited 2-4 weeks after getting a shipped spider to feed.. to ensure it was comfortable in the new enclosure.