B albopilosum and forms

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
B albos seem to be a rising commodity in the hobby recently with the addition from the Nicaraguan imports, I myself have picked up quite a few including an adult pair by accident. (Albeit a convenient accident)
With this rising interest, my own interest was spiked. What are the differences between the Nicaraguan albos and the true ones. Does anyone have both? Comparison photos? As well although Google is hardly an accurate source if you Google them for images you will see a slew of variations (whether they are all albos or not is a different story) so that raises the question; are there more variations/morphs? Is there a sexual dimorphism?
These questions got soured additionally at the most recent convention I went two where 4 seperate venders were selling either "b albopilosum" or "Honduran curly hairs" and all of them had adults which looked ever so slightly different. So it's been a curiosity that has been gnawing at me for a bit.

Discuss

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
B albos seem to be a rising commodity in the hobby recently with the addition from the Nicaraguan imports, I myself have picked up quite a few including an adult pair by accident. (Albeit a convenient accident)
With this rising interest, my own interest was spiked. What are the differences between the Nicaraguan albos and the true ones. Does anyone have both? Comparison photos? As well although Google is hardly an accurate source if you Google them for images you will see a slew of variations (whether they are all albos or not is a different story) so that raises the question; are there more variations/morphs? Is there a sexual dimorphism?
These questions got soured additionally at the most recent convention I went two where 4 seperate venders were selling either "b albopilosum" or "Honduran curly hairs" and all of them had adults which looked ever so slightly different. So it's been a curiosity that has been gnawing at me for a bit.

Discuss
Im no scientist here but every creature probly has some disticinctioon, Not every gold fish looks the same. and they have big hairs so perhaps the variations are easier to spot. just like people No one ( mostly ) looks exactly the same, blue heelers for example, such a wide range of how they can look but there all purebred and u can tell there hellers because of there look I dont know

advan

oOOo
Staff member
What are the differences between the Nicaraguan albos and the true ones.
The latest imports are considered the true ones. They have not yet been tainted with hobby material, ignorant breeders etc. The hobby spiders have been muddied up for years and there is no way to get a true B. albopilosum back into the hobby without fresh imports and responsible breeders. It won't be long before they are paired with hobby stock and the cycle continues..........

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
The latest imports are considered the true ones. They have not yet been tainted with hobby material, ignorant breeders etc. The hobby spiders have been muddied up for years and there is no way to get a true B. albopilosum back into the hobby without fresh imports and responsible breeders. It won't be long before they are paired with hobby stock and the cycle continues..........
Gotcha, so it's just like the vagans. What could they possibly be hybridized with? There aren't many brachypelma species that I know if that could be mistaken for an albo

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If the long term hobby form are being sold as the true Honduran curly hairs is as false as me having a million dollars. Like Advan said its been muddied up for years.

Babies from the Brachypelma albopilosum Nicaraguan wild caught parents should be sold as Brachypelma albopilosum "Nicaraguan".

Last edited:

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
If the long term hobby form are being sold as the true Honduran curly hairs is as false as me having a million dollars. Like Advan said its been muddied up for years.

Babies from the Brachypelma albopilosum Nicaraguan wild caught parents should be sold as Brachypelma albopilosum "Nicaraguan".

Yeah ive seen quite a few with this title. I'm just wondering what they could be muddied with since albos are pretty distinctive from other brachys IMO

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Could not agree more, Advan do you know the scientific name for the Red rumped brachypelma in question?
Yeah there's four or five sp Red rumped. Gotten so used to formal so don't know. Also my B. albopilosum doesn't have any hint of red on her. Looked on Google but that me more confusedo_O

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Yeah I don't get it either. Unless they're stupid or trying to make another FrankenT. I would think maybe Xbreeding might happen in the wild?
And nobody's answering us:banghead: :arghh:

Bread

Arachnopeon
Ive got a true curly sling from WC parents but shes only 1cm right now.