B. Albo juvenile curled in on self

RosesTarantula

Arachnopeon
Hello!! I'm new to this hobby and board but have been lurking for a long time. Yesterday, my curly hair juvenile (about 3 inches) ate a delicious meal of 2 small meal worms and 1 small cricket after a week of no food and then went into her hide like normal. No problems.

However, I noticed about an hour after that she had come out and curled herself up against the 10 gallon enclosure with her legs drawn in. I didn't think much of it as she's always a bit wacky and likes to curl in on herself but I then left and didn't come back home until more than 24 hours past. Walk in today and see her in the exact same position, in the exact same spot.

This isn't usual for her! She is pretty active and I notice her out and about a lot. She's got 2 hides in her enclosure and a water dish. I mist her enclosure down a little bit every 2 days. What should I do??

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Can you share pictures of the entire enclosure?

This position is typically called a stress pose.

RosesTarantula

Arachnopeon
Here is her enclosure. It's 10 gallons. I recently moved her about 3 days ago and she was happy and walking around until yesterday. I keep a water dish at all times and keep it topped up.

She looks very stressed.
Stop misting.
Is there a water dish?
Yes, I keep her water dish full and change it once every 2 days.

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
You need to add a lot more substrate to that tank. The tarantula could climb to be top and fall to its death.
The stones/rocks should be removed, they're hard and could cause harm to the tarantula if it falls on them.

I would provide a better hide than what your have provided already.

Essentially, your tarantula feels as if it is stuck out in the open with no place to feel secure, so it's making itself as small as possible.

RosesTarantula

Arachnopeon
You need to add a lot more substrate to that tank. The tarantula could climb to be top and fall to its death.
The stones/rocks should be removed, they're hard and could cause harm to the tarantula if it falls on them.

I would provide a better hide than what your have provided already.

Essentially, your tarantula feels as if it is stuck out in the open with no place to feel secure, so it's making itself as small as possible.
Okay! I will definitely add more substrate, remove the rocks, and provide a better hide out for her.

What would you consider a good hide for her? Would one from Amazon that is meant for a reptile be good? I did research her a LOT before I bought her but it is difficult to find what people would consider a "good" hide.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
That tank is a little lager than I would be comfortable using.
More sub depth is a good idea as stated above.
Definitely add more cover. Some fake broadleaf plant leaves and any hide going into the ground will be great additions to make her feel at ease. You can hot glue corkbark together to make something you and your spider will like.

Try to leave her alone as much as possible.

RosesTarantula

Arachnopeon
That tank is a little lager than I would be comfortable using.
More sub depth is a good idea as stated above.
Definitely add more cover. Some fake broadleaf plant leaves and any hide going into the ground will be great additions to make her feel at ease. You can hot glue corkbark together to make something you and your spider will like.

Try to leave her alone as much as possible.
Will do. I went ahead and ordered another hide for her and will get some fake plants as well. I covered her tank up with a blanket to try to make her feel okay again and she's uncurled herself a bit which I'm super happy to see. I was scared I had killed her, haha :hot: I'll also look into getting her a 5 gallon tank instead... Thank you for the help!!

cold blood

Staff member
You just fed it a months worth of food in one sitting and you are worried about reduced activity?

I agree with the above enclosure assessments and will add, this species does appreciate a little moisture in the sub, I would recommend keeping an area a little more dampened....this gives the t options.

Otherwise, i don't really think you have anything to be really concerned about.

RosesTarantula

Arachnopeon
You just fed it a months worth of food in one sitting and you are worried about reduced activity?

I agree with the above enclosure assessments and will add, this species does appreciate a little moisture in the sub, I would recommend keeping an area a little more dampened....this gives the t options.

Otherwise, i don't really think you have anything to be really concerned about.
When I mean small meal worms and small cricket, I mean very small. I will definitely keep one side of it a little bit damp. Thank you!

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Misting is so 20 years ago...yet people still do it today because of old care sheets and info still in existence. When moistening a part of the substrate, pour the water directly onto the substrate, don't "mist" it.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
This made me "awwwww" out loud. I'm on the receiving end of some wierd looks lol.