B. Albo (Hobby Form) Been in Hide for 1 Year & 1 Month!

Swiped

Arachnopeon
In January I posted a thread about my 2 B. Albo's (HF) which had been in their hides for 11 months, and whilst I am pleased to say one now comes in and out, the other and also the oldest, has still not left. This makes the total time in hiding just over 1 year and 1 month. I leave food for her once a week, near the entrance to her hide, on the off chance she has been coming out at night. However, after a couple of days I always end up removing it, uneaten.

I'm starting to think I should now remove the hide, to she what she does? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If you are really that concerned I would just dig her up. I dont see the problem doing so

Swiped

Arachnopeon
If you are really that concerned I would just dig her up. I dont see the problem doing so
I have been worried about doing so as some people have previously said that it would stress her out. Do you think It would be ok?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
If you can upload a picture of the whole thing (set up, burrow, enclosure etc) would be great.

Without that, my first advice is to say don't worry too much, man... if access to water is always 24/7 present you are fine.

Btw there's additional heathing of some sort on the enclosure?

Swiped

Arachnopeon
IMG_7124.JPG IMG_7128.JPG IMG_7124.JPG IMG_7128.JPG
If you can upload a picture of the whole thing (set up, burrow, enclosure etc) would be great.

Without that, my first advice is to say don't worry too much, man... if access to water is always 24/7 present you are fine.

Btw there's additional heathing of some sort on the enclosure?
Just took a couple of pics real quick. The first is if the entire enclosure and the second is if the hide. The entrance to the hide in the pic is webbed over, whilst the entrance on the opposite side has had substrate piled up against it since she disappeared in there. I do normally have heat Matt under the half of the enclosure with a thermostat, and have the temperature at 24 degrees Celsius.

Swiped

Arachnopeon
View attachment 234778 View attachment 234779 View attachment 234778 View attachment 234779

Just took a couple of pics real quick. The first is if the entire enclosure and the second is if the hide. The entrance to the hide in the pic is webbed over, whilst the entrance on the opposite side has had substrate piled up against it since she disappeared in there. I do normally have heat Matt under the half of the enclosure with a thermostat, and have the temperature at 24 degrees Celsius.
This is the lady in question too lol

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I do normally have heat Matt under the half of the enclosure with a thermostat, and have the temperature at 24 degrees Celsius.
That's why I asked ;-)

In all honesty, man, those T's are fine at room temperatures. 20° C (night time) are even enough. If you really need to use additional heathing because the room is too cold, never under the enclosure.

Swiped

Arachnopeon
That's why I asked ;-)

In all honesty, man, those T's are fine at room temperatures. 20° C (night time) are even enough. If you really need to use additional heathing because the room is too cold, never under the enclosure.
In all this time I've never thought of that.. I'll try removing the heat matt, and see if that makes any difference. Most rooms in the house are normally around the 22 degree mark anyway. I'll keep your posted.

Thanks for he advice.. This is why I love this site lol!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
In all this time I've never thought of that.. I'll try removing the heat matt, and see if that makes any difference. Most rooms in the house are normally around the 22 degree mark anyway. I'll keep your posted.

Thanks for he advice.. This is why I love this site lol!
Nothing man :-s

Now I don't want to say that's the issue because in life you know, you never know, at the end: but yes, remove the heat device, trust me. 22° C are enough for a juve/adult specimen of those.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would have dug it up. Yes it will could disturb a T. Yes it will disturb its environment. But there is a possibility that there is an issue.

In all seriousness it wouldnt do any serious damage just to lift the hide to check then put it back down upon seeing if it is ok. The species is excellent excavator burrower. It wont take long for it to rearrange its burrow if disturbed.

I would be more than curious to see what is under there, especially if I had been using a heat mat and havent seen the T in over a year.

How often have you been filling the water dish? Have you noticed any substrate in it when you are putting fresh water in? If there has been substrate in there then it is a sign of your T being live and well.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Well you win the patience award!

If it was me I'd start by checking the enclosure with a red light if you wake up to pee in the middle of the night or something :).

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I would have dug it up. Yes it will could disturb a T. Yes it will disturb its environment. But there is a possibility that there is an issue.

In all seriousness it wouldnt do any serious damage just to lift the hide to check then put it back down upon seeing if it is ok. The species is excellent excavator burrower. It wont take long for it to rearrange its burrow if disturbed.

I would be more than curious to see what is under there, especially if I had been using a heat mat and havent seen the T in over a year.

How often have you been filling the water dish? Have you noticed any substrate in it when you are putting fresh water in? If there has been substrate in there then it is a sign of your T being live and well.
^^^^^ THIS

I would lift the hide up at this point as well. Mine stayed in the burrow for a few months. When I applied moisture to one section of the substrate on the end of of the hide it woke her up. She dug up some substrate on the moist end. She is now sitting with her front legs out of the burrow every day. As soon as she detects me she does goes back into the burrow. Once I knew she was not in premolt and getting active, I also started using live crickets to get her back into hunting mode.

EDIT* Hunting mode will make her need to stay outside the hide more often.

Last edited: