B.Albiceps not transferred to new genus Tliltocatl

Elvin

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!

Is there anyone here know the reason why the B.Albiceps stayed in Brachypelma and not transferred to Tliltocatl?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

boina

Lady of the mites
Brachypelmas have been separated in two different genera - one group stayed Brachypelma, the other group became Tliltocatl. There are pretty clear and significant differences - genetic and morphologic - between the two groups. B. albiceps definitely belongs in the Brachypelma group.

Elvin

Arachnopeon
The shapes of their spermathecae (females) and palpal bulbs (males) puts them in Brachypelma
I see! So it doesn't mean that B.Albiceps is a red rump, it would belong to Tliltocatl same as other red rumps former brachypelmas

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I see! So it doesn't mean that B.Albiceps is a red rump, it would belong to Tliltocatl same as other red rumps former brachypelmas
Correct. I think the confusion lies in the tremendously overly simplistic presentation of the new designation as being merely coloration.

Elvin

Arachnopeon
Correct. I think the confusion lies in the tremendously overly simplistic presentation of the new designation as being merely coloration.
then how about the sp tortuguero? is it still brachypelma or tlitocatl?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Technically neither because it's not a described species, the correct label for now would be Theraphosinae sp. "Tortuguero"
If one has specimens of this "Tortuguero" species, then an identification to the genus Brachypelma, Tlitocatl, or neither could be made since good characters for both genera have been published.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Hi everyone!

Is there anyone here know the reason why the B.Albiceps stayed in Brachypelma and not transferred to Tliltocatl?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Brachypelma albiceps possesses strongly scelortized spermathecal baseplates (absent or weakly developed in Tliltocatl) in females and males do not posses a prolateral inferior keel on the palpal bulb (present in Tliltocatl) as well as having a short embolus (longer in Tliltocatl). These characters are primarily why B. albiceps belongs in Brachypelma as opposed to Tliltocatl.

For more details on the differences between the two genera, refer to the following paper.

Mendoza, J. & Francke, O. (2020). Systematic revision of Mexican threatened tarantulas Brachypelma (Araneae: Theraphosidae: Theraphosinae), with a description of a new genus, and implications on the conservation. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 188(1): 82-147. doi:10.1093/zoolinnean/zlz046

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I heard on good authority they flipped a coin and let chance decide.