AZ camel spider

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just found a (baby i think) camel spider in phoenix az. ive got lots of questions.

1) how do i keep it? should i try pinhead crickets or fruitflies?

2) what species of camel spider might it be?

3) anybody know any good sites with lots of info? especially one that can help me ID it?

4) how big do these guys usually get? the one ive got is pretty small, less than half an inch.

thanks in advace.

p.s. i started a thread just like this in the insects section, i didnt know the right place to start one. now i see this is the right place, i would rather keep this one open.

HepCatMoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok so i just read the whole sticky at the top of the forum :p

still im curious if anyone can direct me to any sites that would list solfugids native to Az.

desert solifuge

Arachnopeon
To my knowledge there is no North American list of solifugae species, although Muma published many articles on the subject they are scattered in several scientific publications, but there is a Catalogue of solifuges of the world it is actually part of :

Catalogue of the Smaller Arachnid Orders of the World - Amblypygi,
Uropygi, Schizomida, Palpigradi, Ricinulei and Solifugae, by Harvey, Mark S
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...ts=-2nIK8LTwI&sig=kO_pIsCH6N3T3xoG9s536wPpPZY

in there you will find the reference to all published papers species of solifuges and there known locations.
But if you red the thread you already know how I feel about collecting wild animals, but at least your collecting them from their natural habitat which in my point of view is not as bad as collecting them abroad and them bringing them to the States.