**AZ Bark had babies!**

atheris2004

Arachnopeon
this is the second time i have dealt with new born scorpions so does anyone have any advise on how to succesfuly grow these babies where they can make it on there own?? from what i can see, the momma has about 12-16 rice sized babies on her back! the female is housed in a 2 gallon aquarium. do i need to mist the inside for humidity or will the babies be fine just like normal? the first experince i had with babies was a flat-rock scorpion whi i distrubed and she ate all the babies so i am affraid to mess with the arizona back female. and advise would be greatly appreciated!
also, i have a gravid deathstalker and a few gravid emp's as well. any advise on how to raise these guys up?
let me know. rowdy kent. atheris2004@yahoo.com http://www.newworldreptiles.cjb.net

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I couldn't find any old threads, or perhaps i'm fearful of the search button...

In short- Raise the humidity in the cage by overflowing water dish or misting [NOT on the scorpion(s)]

Offer food (de-legged or crushed) to the mother and do not disturb her for another week or so. In the mean time maintain raised humidity and continue to offer food for the mother.

Once you see that they've molted and are wandering, corral them as best as you can and either A) Put them in a communal tank with a few hides and paper towel bedding. Mist moderately to insure molt-friendly humidity and temp. or B) Place them in seperate deli cups with small or crushed crickets with previously mentioned temp, substrate, humidity. Make sure to change out the bedding and remove cricket corpses. From there you can figure out what to do. The greater risks are going to be cannibalism and dehydrated scorps. They should molt a few more times in the next month or so. As they grow gradually reduce the humidity back to normal.

Goodluck,
-Matt

atheris2004

Arachnopeon
Thanks!!!

i really appreciate the advise! i am going to do just that! thanks alot. rowdy kent. new world reptiles.

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kent,

My friend's AZ bark scorp had babies about 15 weeks ago. When his wife found out, she was going to throw him and the scorps out, so I ended up with them (I've since given Mom back). After two weeks, they came off Mom's back (ten in all). I found it easiest to remove her and everything else in her tank, then carefully scoop the little guys up with a spoon, then replace Mom. I put them in a 5" diameter x 2" high deli cup with some pinholes in the lid, 50/50 peat/potting soil, a couple of small pieces of thin tree bark, and a chunk of sponge which I soaked once or twice a week. After about eight weeks in the cup they'd grown a bit, and it was mayhem when I would drop in 12-18 small crickets (moved from pinheads to week-olds by now) with them bumping into the scorps all the time. I moved them into a small Kritter Keeper with basically the same setup but with more bark pieces laid stabily on top of each other. At 15 weeks, all ten are thriving and getting fat. Some shots of their current digs:

Last edited:

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a few shots of the little darlings...

mooning me (how rude)...

Last edited:

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they're probably about 1/2"-2/3" now...the poop on his head is a nice touch...

Last edited:

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it's poop, but I'll have to look closer. They are quite the little eating and pooping machines. Time for a new piece of bark.

-John

Last edited:

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awww man why cant I ever run into any luck like that ? Ive been looking for AZ barks 4 ever .. :(

atheris2004

Arachnopeon
**Buy Arizona Barks**

you can buy arizona barks from swiftinverts.com . kelly has treated me great the 4 or 5 times i have dealt with him. is a matter of fact, the female that just gave birth for me, came from him about 1 week ago. i think he sells them at <check his price list - MrD>. really nice ones too!

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BigBadConrad, great advice, those little scorps are so adorable. :D atheris good luck dude!

BigBadConrad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
...or you can move to Arizona and find them on your front porch, along with the black widows :)

I've dealt with Kelly, too, and he IS great. But bark scorps are easily collected here.

ssslither

Arachnopeon
New Guy here...

My apologies for resurrecting this thread but I am constantly finding AZ barks and/or AZ stripes(devils) in my backyard & with a 16 mo. daughter running around I'm not taking any chances. The scorpions need to go.

So... if someone could explain how to properly package & ship these little critters SAFELY for both critter & postal carrier, I have about 3 doz. available as of the time/date stamp of this reply. The local shops are getting $3-5 a piece & I have seen them go for $10-12 on the web but these can be yours for the cost of shipping plus a small donation to keep CR123 batteries in my UV light.

Pics available.

Thanks.