Axolotl help

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Hey all, hope you’re well. I’ve been thinking about venturing into the world of axolotl keeping. Typically I’d look online but I’m afraid of a tarantula hobby-esque situation where most of the caresheets and intro videos contain misinformation.

So could anybody give any care advice or pointers to where I could find some accurate info?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hey all, hope you’re well. I’ve been thinking about venturing into the world of axolotl keeping. Typically I’d look online but I’m afraid of a tarantula hobby-esque situation where most of the caresheets and intro videos contain misinformation.

So could anybody give any care advice or pointers to where I could find some accurate info?
Don't keep the cute buggers but apart from the normal great water quality they need an aquarium with very little/no current. So an external filter with a spray bar hitting the glass first for example.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Can’t guarantee, but head over to dendroboard forum.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not sure if you still need info, posting this just in case.

They're not as easy to keep as a lot of people think, and here's why.

Axolotl need a LOT of space and a very good filtration system. For 2 axolotl, you need a tank that is at the very minimum 100x50x50cm, and a filter that is able to cycle the water up to 5 times the tank's volume per hour.

Temperature. They need to stay under 20°C in order to thrive. When temps rise above this frequently, they become susceptible to fungus infections.

Food. Axolotl can't chew, but they will try to eat anything that moves in front of them. They're not the smartest animals.
They can eat earthworms, pellets, or small fish. (small being the key word here. Bigger fish can cause them to suffocate because of the bones getting stuck).

Tankmates.
Aside from some snails (big ones, or the axolotl try to eat them, which can kill them because of the hard shells),there are no suitable tankmates. Some people keep guppy's or danio's with them but they just get eaten.

50 percent water changes should be done weekly, axolotl really put out a lot of waste, even in a cycled tank this can easily become a problem.

Handling.
Yes. Some people handle them in the water. Not a good idea. Handling damages the mucous layer and will expose them to fungus or bacterial infections.

Decorations.
Plants will be uprooted. Only put smooth decorations in the tank, axolotl are prone to bolting when disturbed, and their skin gets damaged easily.

Always make sure the a axolotl you keep together are of the same size, or they'll try to eat each other. Not because they like eating their own species,but because everything that moves is food to them.

I think this is about it, if you have any questions feel free to pm me ;)

Nongkym

Arachnopeon
I have had an axolotl for a couple of years now, and my axi does require more attention compared to my other herps (tree frogs, leopard geckos and PDF). Keeping the water temperature below 20 degrees C is the biggest challenge. I have a water chiller and I still need to use frozen water bottles to keep the temperature cool enough during the warmer months. Not only will warm water temperatures encourage infections as mentioned by others, but also will trigger the axolotl to morph into a salamander. However, with that being said, you can remedy infections and other ailments by slowly cooling down the axolotl and storing it in the refrigerator to help it regenerate and heal. This can be done for a couple of months as long as water changes (using the same temperature water to avoid thermal shock) are completed every other day or so and the temp of the fridge does not drop below 40 degrees F. Substrate for the tank can be an issue, and avoid any gravel/rocks that are small enough to fit into the axolotl's mouth or it will be eaten. Some keepers have success with sand and some do not, and really depends on the axolotl- because sand impaction and abrasions can be an issue. Axolotls love to eat, and frozen blood worms are also an option.

Here is the axolotl song if you haven't heard it before, and be fore warned that it will be stuck in your head after you listen to it!