Awww how Key--yoot!

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
nice pics :D its illegal to feed live mammals in the UK to other animals, unless the animal wont eat anything else and its life is at stake, you can be banned,fined, put in prison if you feed your T a live mouse here.........but i dont think i could ever feed my T.s a live mouse would break my heart lol

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
When I've had to feed larger-than-fuzzy mice to my pedes (hey, I can't control when the pregnant mice at the pet store pop), I just grab the mouse by the neck with my 12" tweezers and give a quick snap of the wrist, much like making a kill shot in foosball. It uses the mouse's own weight against it, and is very effective.

The idea that Parliment in the UK ever thought it could enforce the "no live food" law is ridiculous to me... I mean, we have our own fair share of stupid laws, but man. So if I drop a live pinkie into the cage, I'm breaking the law, but if I drop it from high enough that its neck breaks and it's dead before the invert attacks it, I'm ok? Makes no sense to me.

My centipedes won't really eat thawed pinkies... well, they eat them eventually, but they take live pinkies MUCH more readily... it seems to provoke a stronger eating response. I ALWAYS drop my pinkies in live...

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
When I've had to feed larger-than-fuzzy mice to my pedes (hey, I can't control when the pregnant mice at the pet store pop), I just grab the mouse by the neck with my 12" tweezers and give a quick snap of the wrist, much like making a kill shot in foosball. It uses the mouse's own weight against it, and is very effective.
*makes note not to play foosball with Tom*

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
HEHE... well, my college days are long gone, but I thoght the analogy was fitting :)

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bill,

now that is a sweet pic there...did the mouse make a screeching sound right when the T struck like they do when snakes strike at them???

Tom- thats a pretty funny analogy...i'll have to actually try that sometime.

Risto

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Static_69
Bill,

now that is a sweet pic there...did the mouse make a screeching sound right when the T struck like they do when snakes strike at them???

Tom- thats a pretty funny analogy...i'll have to actually try that sometime.

Risto
That mouse was walking, then on it's back with fangs in it's neck quicker than I could see. It kicked twice, then stopped moving. It had to have been dead in under a second.

Bill

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer

The idea that Parliment in the UK ever thought it could enforce the "no live food" law is ridiculous to me... I mean, we have our own fair share of stupid laws, but man. So if I drop a live pinkie into the cage, I'm breaking the law, but if I drop it from high enough that its neck breaks and it's dead before the invert attacks it, I'm ok? Makes no sense to me.

ummm no you'll get done for killing the pinkie seeing as its counted as anima cruelity ;P

i have no problem with feeding my friends 5 foot boa dead rats,(plus he will only eat if i feed him which is kinda worrying knowing hes gonna grow big enough to most probs eat me lol)

i am still curious to see a mouse be taken down buy a T but very very concerned just incase the mouse hurts the T

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Grael
i am still curious to see a mouse be taken down buy a T but very very concerned just incase the mouse hurts the T
Yeah, me too... I'm not quite as brave with my pedes as Bill was with his gigas. :) Like I said, the oldest I'll feed live is the "fuzzy" stage... eyes barely open. any bigger than that, I kill them and then wave them in the pede's face for the feeding response.

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
grael - its not illegal to feed live mice, just frowned upon, although a lot of people would have you believe otherwise. Look on the www.cviewmedia.com forums if you dont believeme. Prolly is illegal to bash them against the wall, but freezing, etc isnt.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Yeah, me too... I'm not quite as brave with my pedes as Bill was with his gigas. :) Like I said, the oldest I'll feed live is the "fuzzy" stage... eyes barely open. any bigger than that, I kill them and then wave them in the pede's face for the feeding response.
Well, I must admit, I wasn't sure what the result would be. I wanted it fattened up, and I'd heard quite a few people feeding adult mice to some T's now and then, as well as the warnings about kicking and biting. Still, I wouldn't reccomend doing this for anyone, as I can definately see the dangers involved. Will I do it again? Probably. But I think only with very aggressive and very large species, like this one. I don't think I'd put my rosie or my curly up against one, by any means.

Tom - You don't have a pede that you're sure is bad enough to take one down?

Bill

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by conipto
Tom - You don't have a pede that you're sure is bad enough to take one down?
Well, I have no doubts as to the ability of my 9" heros castaneiceps to TAKE DOWN a full-grown mouse... it's the damage it would suffer in the meantime that I would worry about. Pede legs seem to be on the fragile side, and a mouse would be able to chomp one or two pretty easily, I would think. And piercing the exoskeleton proper I don't want to even think about. :)

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you have any pics of what that mouse looked like after the tarantula was done with it??

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, when I dig up the remains this afternoon, I'll take some pictures.

grr

Bill

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Grael
nice pics :D its illegal to feed live mammals in the UK to other animals, unless the animal wont eat anything else and its life is at stake, you can be banned,fined, put in prison if you feed your T a live mouse here.........but i dont think i could ever feed my T.s a live mouse would break my heart lol

Um... what do they think the animals do in the wild?

kellygirl

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, someone wanted this.. I hope you enjoy it alot more than I did :p

Bill

Last edited:

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't say its enjoyable to look at but it is interesting to see what a tarantula can do to a small mammal. Cleaning a mess like that up is the only thing that would deter me from feeding mice/rats to a big spider. Thanks for the pic...sorry you had to clean it up

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Now if you actually USED that coffee filter, you could call it "Carnivore Coffee" ....

ok, I guess I need some coffee myself....

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
It's a cupcake liner.. I was gonna pour muffin mix on it and make 'Mouseberry surprise'

Bill

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Great pics! I'm SO glad I have time to visit this site on my LUNCH HOUR!:D