Awww, baby's growing up

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was working in my tanks today and as I moved the water bowl in my N. coloratovillosus' tank, it greeted me with a threat posture, this marked the occasion of both it's first threat posture, as well as the first time any of my Ts have reared up at me (always been wimp with the species I kept until this latest dive into the hobby). Heh, so cute I had to get a picture - fortunately it was so mad it wasn't a problem getting it to stay that way :)

Attachments

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Usumbura is the meanest spider I have ever had. Her threat posture is even more evil that that.She hisses and she will ben back almost folding herself in half and when she goes to bite she bites hard.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
you call that a threat posture?!
Just kidding Nadkicker LOL
it's really cute though!
I guess that is a big step for you though, having a T that might even have a threat posture, right? Is this a step toward some of the more defensive species for you?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
I guess that is a big step for you though, having a T that might even have a threat posture, right? Is this a step toward some of the more defensive species for you?
Ironically, the very first T I ever had was a Haitian brown (P. cancerides), but between the fact that I stayed respectfully clear of his very quick self and that he moulted into a mature male shortly after I got him, limited my opportunity to develop a taste for evil spiders. He was fast and nervous, but never as mean as the species apparently can be.

After that I always stuck to my the big three of NW genera: Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, and Avicularia. That there wasn't anything else available at the time was a contributing factor. I don't think it was until 1994 or 95 before I ever saw a shop that had something other than these three basic genera of Ts, and I wasn't buying any new ones at the time.

At any rate, having gotten back into the hobby in such a big way, I opted for some of the semi aggressive ones just to see what I thought. I'm sitting on the fence about getting an H. maculata and the curiosity to get an orange bitey thing has been a burning itch for many months. I am highly amused at picturing a spider both aggressive and stupid enough to fall over trying to scare off something thousands of times its mass :)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
orange bitey things

they ARE amusing LOL...
I am certain that I would not be nearly as amused, however, if I was to get bitten :)
But even separating my female yesterday from the slings, she was only defensive in her webbing. Once her safe retreat was gone, she ran like hell...hence the bathtub idea. She was totally freaked out, and never used any kind of threat posture. Once in the deli cup, she scrunched herself as small as possible, and stayed totally still.
In her webbing was another story. She continually struck at the tongs, her fangs pumping wildly!
Gave me just a bit of an adrenaline rush!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have both an Usumbura and an H Macaulata and both of them are up there amongst my fave spiders.