Awful Experience Not Sure What To Do

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
So the only proper thing to do is to leave a review on this board instead of blasting them out by name right here. If you really want to know the name of the place before that, I can dm you.
Exactly this! This is the best and ONLY way to get the information out to everyone, in one designated location, on this website. It will be easy to find and streamlined for optimal future searches on the dealer/seller.

Please refer to this tutorial on how to leave a review for someone: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/review-a-dealer-seller-and-or-buyer-updated-7-4-2021.326767/

If you can not locate a review item for the dealer/seller, at the bottom of that tutorial you will see "additional items", and there will be a link on how to request that one be created.

With regards to you saying that it technically arrived alive, yes it did, technically. However, any dealer/seller worth their weight (or who cares about their reputation) would immediately try to rectify this for you, seeing as this is clearly not a husbandry issue. Only 3 days is not really the same as, let's say, 3 months (for example).

Either way, if you need any help with review process, please reach out to us privately and we will help you get that done.

Hope everything works out with the rest of your T's.

Debby

Last edited:

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
“live arrival” also implies “healthy arrival” - they did not include “may contain a body full of parasites” in the sales description nor did they say “diseased pokie for sale” - this is fraud and i would expose them while also getting a full refund and if they give you lip tell em animal cruelty and neglect laws exist

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
“live arrival” also implies “healthy arrival” - they did not include “may contain a body full of parasites” in the sales description nor did they say “diseased pokie for sale” - this is fraud and i would expose them while also getting a full refund and if they give you lip tell em animal cruelty and neglect laws exist
So we not only need to take any inverts to the vets prior to posting, we also need them X rayed as well to see if there are any dormant parasites lurking.
Grow up you tree hugging do gooders
These things happen, and as far as I understand the seller is trying to make good.
And of course if said seller had a rare T that you wanted you wouldn't have purchased from them.
No, of course not.
Try joining the real world where unfortuate things happen, as long as the problem is made good for the parties concerned,and it seems like the seller is doing just that,one of life's little hiccups, and move on.

Last edited:

Xomb13

Arachnopeon
Exactly this! This is the best and ONLY way to get the information out to everyone, in one designated location on this website. It will be easy to find and streamlined for optimal future searches on the dealer/seller.

Please refer to this tutorial on how to leave a review for someone: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/review-a-dealer-seller-and-or-buyer-updated-7-4-2021.326767/

If you can not locate a review item for the dealer/seller, at the bottom of that tutorial you will see "additional items", and there will be a link on how to request that one be created.

With regards to you saying that it technically arrived alive, yes it did, technically. However, any dealer/seller worth their weight (or who cares about their reputation) would immediately try to rectify this for you, seeing as this is clearly not a husbandry issue. Only 3 days is not really the same as, let's say, 3 months (for example).

Either way, if you need any help with review process, please reach out to us privately and we will help you get that done.

Hope everything works out with the rest of your T's.

Debby
Thank you so much Debby. I have sent an email to the vendor, and I will be sure to do just this once the transactions have all been completed.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I hope i didn't miss something but here i go.

I am sorry your spiders died but i dont understand how this kind of seller bashing can start without asking for some adfitional information from you.

I mean there is a difference if you ship something across the US or get it locally (how long were they in transit), also most sellers in the Eu i know of stop any shipping past October because the temperatures drop too low and heat-packs only last so long. There is a difference if you take that risk but ofc the seller still has to full-fill the life arrival guarantee by packaging them accordingly. Still to ship at all is a risk the seller and you have to take in consideration.

On the maggots (i cant tell what it is) etc. under the right conditions they could have been present in your home and colonised the dead animal fast. Mites can literally explode on dead animals and hollow it out in no time at all. Also that moss seemed awfully wet and we dont have pictures of the whole enclosures to judge properly if any mistakes happened. To much moisture is the fastest killer i know of apart from squishing it.

I am not trying to say its your fault but based on all i have read and seen i can't possibly judge if the seller was at fault for the second deaths. Also no info on how they were packaged the first time, how long the shipping took, the temperatures outside etc. how am i supposed to know if the seller made a mistake or if you did. So i can't just jump on this bandwagon...

I assume you do have the experience and did everything right. And also
good luck to you, i hope you do get a refund or some healthy animals.

Last edited:

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
So we not only need to take any inverts to the vets prior to posting, we also need them X rayed as well to see if there are any dormant parasites lurking.
the specimen was visually comprised - are you seriously suggesting that all of that took place within the 24 hrs that it was in the post? really?

Grow up you tree hugging do gooders
🤣

These things happen,
if you’re a 💩 keeper, and fraudulent seller I’m sure it’s common place

and as far as I understand the seller is trying to make good.
sending a parasite riddled specimen right after sending a dead specimen is decidedly not “making good”

And of course if said seller had a rare T that you wanted you wouldn't have purchased from them.
I’m not a compulsive animal hoarder like some people 👀 try again

Try joining the real world where unfortuate things happen, as long as the problem is made good for the parties concerned,and it seems like the seller is doing just that,one of life's little hiccups, and move on.
your rationalizations for subpar keeping and fraudulent business practices is sus

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
the specimen was visually comprised - are you seriously suggesting that all of that took place within the 24 hrs that it was in the post? really?
Ram 1

🤣

if you’re a 💩 keeper, and fraudulent seller I’m sure it’s common place

sending a parasite riddled specimen right after sending a dead specimen is decidedly not “making good”

I’m not a compulsive animal hoarder like some people 👀 try again

your rationalizations for subpar keeping and fraudulent business practices is sus
I am a keeper,and a very good one, not a seller.
Read the above post from Wolfram 1 - before you make yourself sound even more idiotic.

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
I am a keeper,and a very good one, not a seller.
neat

Read the above post from Wolfram 1 - before you make yourself sound even more idiotic.
i have and i fail to see how it negates anything I’ve said up to this point - every seller i deal with does overnight shipping which means the specimen will arrive either at your doorstep or local FedEx hub within 24 hrs and it seems, highly unlikely, that what was described in the OP would’ve occurred within that time frame

what’s more likely is the seller knew their specimens were comprised/unwell and shipped them anyway but of course, criticisms against sellers are taboo because “muh smol bidness”

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Wow. That is absolutely awful. Those parasites you were talking about were probably spider fly maggots. See if you can get your money back and document everything with pictures. Insist on it. Then leave a negative review about them online warning others to never buy from these people.
That would be quite an occurrence (and a horrible one at that) considering the pretty rare nature of spider flies. I'm leaning more towards phorid flies and the sling died prior to the eggs being laid. Guess we won't know until we can get them ID'd. OP, if it is a species of parasitic spider fly and not a scavenger/opportunistic species like a phorid fly, please for the love of god write a review so one vendor doesn't inadvertently start destroying collections. If they're not a fly by night operation, they'll be able to address it and alleviate everyone's concerns

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Any reputable seller is going to calculate losses into to their financials. The retail value of the animal should account for a percentage of projected loss. No doa and the profit margin is maximized, whereas losses reduce the profit margin.

Maybe I‘m talking out the bum, but at least that’s how it should work in my head. As consumers we should get what we paid for and not easily accept losses.

Hopefully a quick and favorable resolution on this.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Substrate looks very moist for P. metallica. Not sure if you added water before or after it died.
It is possible for them to die in a too moist container.

As far as the worms you witnessed there is a way to ID if it is truly a internal parasite or if those are phorid fly larva. If it has rib like patterns on the maggot it could be that a phorid fly layed eggs in or around the tarantula after it died. If it is a internal parasite that would be a very rare occurrence.

If this is the case it’s unlikely it crapped itself and died of a internal parasite, but rather you found it a few days after it died and the flies in your house had their way with it.
Generally phorid flies seek out dead prey or tarantulas EWL to lay eggs on.

Fly eggs can become hungry larvae seemingly overnight. I’ve witnessed it with a few total losses before I made a 100% sealed incubator. I would find new ones within half a day trying to save the eggs I incubated.

As far as the seller goes I would not order again simply for the improper packaging methods used that caused them to be cooked.

I don’t believe it would hurt for you to attempt to contact them with concerns and see if you guys can come to an agreement on the variable causes and possibly receive a ..partial or.. full refund.

You both have an opportunity to learn from this experience if you choose.

Last edited:

lllWolvielll

Arachnopeon
First of all, shut them down. If they are sending tarantulas out like that you need to definetly ring the person who keeps them and tell them they are 100% doing something wrong and they need to realise tarantulas are fragile creatures who have their needs. Because this has continued, they don't deserve to have them. Horrible that they were sent out like that and my condolences go to you and them