Awesome wild San Diego County Tarantulas (Aphonopelma steindachneri?)

intothemystery

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone I just wanted to share an awesome species of tarantulas I have been finding in east San Diego County near Ramona (33.078786, -116.800457) over the last year or so. After doing as much research as I can I think this is Aphonopelma steindachneri also known as A. reversum and A. phanum. If you have any more info what species this is I'm all ears, otherwise I just wanted to share. Every spider I have found (about 5 now) is super mellow.

The first four pictures are of a juvenile I recently found that looked a little skinny and was roaming at night. I'm keeping her for now, and I've been fattening (hopefully) her up. She has eaten a ton of crickets and mealworms, and has closed up her burrow. Hopefully I'll get a molt soon. The last picture is a mature male I found last November, and the two before that the female he was probably trying to find. They look like Pulchras huh? Super cool spiders.

Ps why does the little ones abdomen look wet on the dark spot?

Attachments

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Ps why does the little ones abdomen look wet on the dark spot?
The urticating hair patch is often referred to as a 'mirror patch' for the way it reflects light differently. It just looks wet because of the angle of the photo and because of how dark that patch is right now.

intothemystery

Arachnopeon
The urticating hair patch is often referred to as a 'mirror patch' for the way it reflects light differently. It just looks wet because of the angle of the photo and because of how dark that patch is right now.
Thank you!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
isn't the only way to differentiate from a Eutylenum is the carapace on Steindacneri has a color fade??

Thank you!
I live in San Diego, work in Poway, a co worker says he has them on his property in Ramona. I need to go out and look.

Mine. About 85% sure she's A Steindachneri

Attachments

intothemystery

Arachnopeon
She is a fat one too! I gave mine a bigger enclosure a few months ago, and she has been down there with the borrow blocked off since. She dug next to the glass, so I check on her every few weeks. It seems like this species is very secretive, slow growing, and mellow.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Mine, I would say is mellow but she isn't too friendly. She will throw posture when she is irritated. Oh, and Dr Hamilton confirmed she is Steindachneri.