Awesome looking wolf spider found. ID needed!

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The owner of a petstore here in Joplin, Missouri caught this awesome wolfy for me. I was beyond delighted when I came in for crickets and he surprised me with it. I assume some kind of Hogna variety. Has anyone else seen this particular species before? Thanks for all the input!

Thanks!

-ben

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
hey ben, yes it is a Hogna sp. might be a little hard to ID species though. maybe check out georgicola or even aspersa?

great shots though, beautiful spider.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can't help you with the species. I just had to say what a beautiful one! Good find, and very cool the pet store guy caught it for you. The guy where I buy crickets is a little creeped out by spiders. He's sort of a fish guy.
And we don't get wolfies up here in those colours. Lovely. Neat eye pattern too.
Knight in Gale

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey ben, yes it is a Hogna sp. might be a little hard to ID species though. maybe check out georgicola or even aspersa?

great shots though, beautiful spider.
What widowman said. georgicola or aspersa. I have found tons of aspersa, none as vividly marked as that spider.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
H. georgicola :razz:

The H. aspersa's I've seen don't usually have the distinct band of yellow down the center of the cephalothorax and like someone else mentioned, the markings are usually not that vivid in the H. aspersa.

Also, we're not 100% but we also own a H. georgicola and the two in comparison, look quite similar. I would check out the link below with information on this species and do a little comparing as well just to make sure the ID is correct.

Information: http://bugguide.net/node/view/50661

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
H. georgicola :razz:

The H. aspersa's I've seen don't usually have the distinct band of yellow down the center of the cephalothorax and like someone else mentioned, the markings are usually not that vivid in the H. aspersa.

Also, we're not 100% but we also own a H. georgicola and the two in comparison, look quite similar. I would check out the link below with information on this species and do a little comparing as well just to make sure the ID is correct.

Information: http://bugguide.net/node/view/50661

After checking out this link, thanks by the way, it looks most similar to aspersa. The markings all match. The only difference with mine is the color is almost carbon graphite grey and the stripes and spots are orange, not yellow. I suppose this could be a particularly stunning example of the species. Either way I'm really enjoying having him in the collection. Thanks guys for all the help!

Last edited:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i have found that there is some pretty good variation in colors within the Hogna species. think that's one of the reasons it's so hard to narrow down a species by pic alone.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
After checking out this link, thanks by the way, it looks most similar to aspersa. The markings all match. The only difference with mine is the color is almost carbon graphite grey and the stripes and spots are orange, not yellow. I suppose this could be a particularly stunning example of the species. Either way I'm really enjoying having him in the collection. Thanks guys for all the help!
Now that I look at the picture on my laptop, I agree on the H. aspersa. My desktop has poor color resolution, sorry! LOL! Your right tho, no matter what species, it's a BEAUtiful spider! Congrats :)

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
I agree with H. aspersa also, and goodness, what an awesome Wolf! I would LOVE to aquire one. You are lucky!
Congrats on your new Wolfie! :clap:
S.