Avicularia versicolor

Mitzi

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody! I'm new in the "spider world" and i'm new in the United states so my english is not very good but i'll try to write, i hope you understand jejeje... :eek:

My husband bought me an unsexed Avicularia versicolor last july, and with all the hope that it could be a female we called it Epifanita, now i think it is a male :(, and i'm looking for a girlfriend ;), i live in San Antonio,Tx. so if you have a girl for my "Epi" (that's my new tarantula's name jeje) please contact me.

As i said i am new in all this, and i really don't know what to do, so if you could give me advises i really will apreciate them.

thanks!
Mitzi

i took this pictures with my web cam so they're not so good :(

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does your tarantula have small hooks on the second section of each front leg? And do the two shorter "legs" right by either side of its mouth look like it is wearing boxing gloves? If so, yes, it is a male. If not it is either female, or not yet a mature male.
Go to the inversonals section further down the page, and look through for someone who is looking for an A. versicolor male.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does your tarantula have small hooks on the second section of each front leg? And do the two shorter "legs" right by either side of its mouth look like it is wearing boxing gloves? If so, yes, it is a male. If not it is either female, or not yet a mature male.
Go to the inversonals section further down the page, and look through for someone who is looking for an A. versicolor male.
hi that would be a good idea to do and welcome to the boards and good luck to you and finding a boyfriend / girlfriend for your ( t ) **** phil

Mitzi

Arachnopeon
i can't see the hooks but i already post one of the picture in the sexing section, i think it's a male because "he" has been walking day and night all around the cage for weeks, and "he" start to drum, however i see him small, i thought he was young and not a mature tarantula but "he" is acting weird and i've read that is the normal behaive of males tarantulas.

thankyou both Mina and Phil for took the time to read me and answer my cuestion.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just ordered a A.Versicolor sling and got it in the mail today....i got it from botarby8 (you can see his reviews on here) and you can order sexed females if you want, they just cost a little bit more.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
He's an matured adult male alright. See the modified "Boxing Gloves"?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He's an matured adult male alright. See the modified "Boxing Gloves"?
I have a question when male tarantulas get "boxing gloves" the pedapalps (spelling may be wrong) basically end up looking like feet right?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
@ballpython: yes, they do. on some species, they even get a different colour, so they are pretty easy to see once you know what you are looking for.

@mitzi: the best you can do now is find him a girlfriend. i guess many people here will be happy to pair up their versi girls, and you get new slings out of the deal:}. versis are really easy to breed, so your chances of getting his offspring are good.