Avicularia versicolor

najig21

Arachnopeon
Does anyone know about the temperment of A. versicolor? I have one, and I was told that it's flighty and very nervous, but it seems to show agression whenever I open the cage. It has bit my pen (which I use to coax it out of the water dish when I need to fill it up) many times with little or no provacation. Is this strange?

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by najig21
Does anyone know about the temperment of A. versicolor? I have one, and I was told that it's flighty and very nervous, but it seems to show agression whenever I open the cage. It has bit my pen (which I use to coax it out of the water dish when I need to fill it up) many times with little or no provacation. Is this strange?
There is a curious posting on the bite-report forum by TheEternal dated 08/16/2002 about a bite from a 1/4" A. versicolor. You wouldn't think one that small could even break the skin. Yet, I've seen other reports that they are flightly, but quite docile.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The A versicolor I used to have is so gentle that I couldnt even imagine one of its kind every being flighty or nervous. It is a big softie.

phobia 1

Arachnopeon
I have an Avicularia Versicolor

A avicularia Versicolor can have a bad temper when it feels threatened in any way. The one that i have does not have a bad temper unless I try to interfere with what it is trying to do. so far she has been gentel. keep trying to work with her and maybe she will calm down. They are not prone to bite,however if she feels threatend in any way she will act out, it's in her nature.
hope I helped you.
Sincerely,
Nicole

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I once had an Avicularia avicularia, that was really defensive. Actually, when I first got him, he was fine. But when I moved across town, and kept him in his 10 gal on the side vivarium, he snapped! Every time that I had to do something to the cage or sometimes even just walking by, he striadulated for like 10 minutes. Weird!

Big Dragonfly

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow... this is a real shocker! My versicolour and my avics have never shown the slightest hint of aggression. They only jump.

My versi actually is quite calm when walking on my hands... almost clumsy looking