Avicularia versicolor

curious juan

Arachnopeon
This is my A.versicolor. I got her last April 29, and has molted twice since then, the latest was last 05 July. She's (I hope she is a SHE... lol) now roughly 2" DLS. At this size, are A.versi still delicate to take care of? IMG_20160711_193451.jpg IMG_20160429_160352.jpg

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Now my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt since I have only been keeping tarantulas for 4 years and only have four, but one of them is a 3 inch A. versicolor and from my experience and what I have read anything 2 inches or more and you should be out of the danger zone of sudden death. Happy Keeping!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Avicularia remain a little more tricky to keep throughout their lives, but at this stage it is definitely less prone to suffer illness or dehydration. Always have good ventilation and a large waterdish, but I think you're doing a good job already since it is thriving, molting and eating well :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is my A.versicolor. I got her last April 29, and has molted twice since then, the latest was last 05 July. She's (I hope she is a SHE... lol) now roughly 2" DLS. At this size, are A.versi still delicate to take care of? View attachment 215514 View attachment 215515
Not delicate no. Once Avics reach that size, they are pretty easy to take care of, but require the ventilation and NO stagnant air. Stagnant air kills Avics.

curious juan

Arachnopeon
I had to rehouse her in a larger enclosure, with cross vents on two levels of the walls, at the middle level and 1" from the top part. No vent holes on the lid of the container, though. Provided her a water dish using a plastic bottle cap which I glued at the wall. She's just starting to create her web tunnels. I really hope I could raise her well into adulthood. Will posts pics when she has settled in her new home.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
If you are going to glue a waterdish into the enclosure I recommend using one that is stackable, such as souffle cups, that way you can have a dish inside the one that is glued that you can easily remove. Makes it easier to keep the water free of debris and bacteria. For small collections you can ask for a couple of to-go sauce/dip cups from certain restaurants. For established collections you can buy a sleeve of them from restaurant supply stores (I got mine fom Smart & Final).