avicularia versicolor

WeezyTheAvic

Arachnopeon
HEY guys new to the hobby just got 2 1in avicularia versicolors from paul at petcenterusa.net they came healthy and happy they feed the first night both took crickets with know problem and they're already webbing. so far so good. If anyone wants to share any information on the versicolor or your experiences raiseing yours anything like that would be great. THANKS

Last edited:

SipY

Arachnopeon
i love my little guy.
keep it somewhat moist in there with a ton of ventilation and a bunch of room to climb and theyll be happy campers.

good luck :)

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just LOVE my little girl! She is subadult one, one more molt and she will be a big girl. :) She is always outside displaying her colors except when she is not hungry or is preparing for molt.

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
What are you keeping them in exactly? I don't tend to use the mist setting on my sprayer, i'd switch it to the stream setting and soak just the substrate in there. Give it enough so most of the substrate is wet on top, but not all the way through.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
light misting every few days is ok. My substrate is on the one side prity dry, on other is more humid. This and a full water dish.

WeezyTheAvic

Arachnopeon
i have them each in a snap ware containers about the same size as the cubes ever one on youtube has with peat moss and a sick thing i made the containers r a bit big but its what i have. They have cross ventilation and half moist substrate and a cap of water to so i think it should be good according to every thing i have read. They seem happy webbing like crazy.

Last edited:

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I love my 2 little Versis. I just want more! They are so adorable, unique, and have polar-opposite personalities.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Moist , Humid , and places to hide . Green leaves . They come from a tropic Island . And in about 2 years , you will have BEAUTIFUL adults {D I love my gal :D

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have them in a snap ware container about the same size as the cubes ever one on youtube has with peat moss and a sick thing i made the containers r a bit big but its what i have. They have cross ventilation and half moist substrate and a cap of water to so i think it should be good according to every thing i have read. They seem happy webbing like crazy.
If they are 1", you'll be better off just misting or put pebbles in the cap. Small slings can drown.

Also, your post seems to suggest they are housed together? If not & I am reading wrong, just ignore me. If they are, you really need to separate into their own homes.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Welcome the hobby and the board! Good luck with your A. versicolor slings!

This is what I have learned from someone who has successfully kept/bred numerous Avicularia species. I talked to him because I had two versicolor slings die on me. He said with many Avic species slings you can mist them 2-3x a week, but with versi's you should only mist them once every week to week and a half. Perhaps I was over misting my versi's and that is what lead to their death. I'm trying this out with a new versi sling that I have, so I will update if this method works.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
My 2 cents

Make sure you let the enclosure dry out completely before misting again to prevent those dreaded mites. I dont reccomend wetting the substrate just the glass. They will drink the drops on the side if they are thirsty. For the most part they will get all there moisture from food. Also make sure you remove any left over food ASAP. Keep them well ventilated and they should do great. Ive kept my versi many different ways and this is what works best for me.
-Doug :D

BTW welcome to the addiction. :p

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When my adult female isn't preparing to molt, she is always on display and what a gorgeous girl she is! She totally has tong feeding down pat and will rush to get to her favorite roach nabbing spot when I do anything in her enclosure. I also have an Avic. avic. and have got to say that these two girls are the favorites in my small but ever growing collection. Hope you enjoy your new kids as much as I do mine!

Last edited:

WeezyTheAvic

Arachnopeon
If they are 1", you'll be better off just misting or put pebbles in the cap. Small slings can drown.

Also, your post seems to suggest they are housed together? If not & I am reading wrong, just ignore me. If they are, you really need to separate into their own homes.
yeah sorry about that it does sound that way so mybad yeah they each have their own home. The caps of water r not full all the way. but i will put some pebbles in there i would hate to drown them. That would suck. AgentD006las i know what u mean i cant stop watching youtube vids i already want more t's lol. I love this board 2 everyone is real helpful and welcomeing. Thanks for all the tips guys

Last edited: