Avicularia Versicolor Slings .75"

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Are 2nd instar Versicolor slings easy to take care of? What should I feed them?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are said to be one of the more complicated sling species to take care of. They require a lot ventilation and humidity.

You can feed them pieces of meal worms, pin heads, pre-killed crickets/roaches, etc.

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A suggestion:

Research the spiders you want to get before you actually get them. :)

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
A suggestion:

Yeah, I shouldn't have bought it yet. So now that it's shipped, what do I do to prepare for the Versicolor slings?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
!use the search function!:D its your best friend :)

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Put it in a 50 dram vial. put some tiny holes in the lid. put a small stick in there if you like and fill it half way with substrate, mist it a couple times a week and feed it small crickets.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Put it in a 50 dram vial. put some tiny holes in the lid. put a small stick in there if you like and fill it half way with substrate, mist it a couple times a week and feed it small crickets.
on top of that i put some holes on the sides of the vial for avic slings.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Would a small "Kritter Keeper" work? They provide amazing ventilation, but are more wide than tall. I'm a bit worried about the opening door on the top because it could ruin a web.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd be more worried about a .75 sized sling going through the grated ventilation...

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Would a small "Kritter Keeper" work? They provide amazing ventilation, but are more wide than tall. I'm a bit worried about the opening door on the top because it could ruin a web.
I would not use a KK for an Avic sling. Any sling that small, in fact. But because humidity is important for Avics, I would not use a KK.

Here is a link to buy 50 dram vials: http://www.captiveinverts.com/?view=V_KVNJ There is no picture, but this is what they look like:

The 50 dram is the one on the left. You might as well buy a decent amount because you'll probably need them. I bought 12 and had occupants for them in no time. :D

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't use cross ventilation and my Avicularia slings are fine.
If they're still slings, then you can't really say for sure whether or not they're fine.

If they all make it to adulthood, then you can say that cross-ventilation was not necessary. :)

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I would not use a KK for an Avic sling. Any sling that small, in fact. But because humidity is important for Avics, I would not use a KK.
[/IMG]

The 50 dram is the one on the left. You might as well buy a decent amount because you'll probably need them. I bought 12 and had occupants for them in no time. :D
The KK ventilation holes are very thin. No Avic could escape. And how is humidity a problem with KKs? Thanks for the link and et cetera, by the way, but my slings have already shipped.

P.S.
What's cross-ventilation?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I repeat:

A suggestion:

You said they shipped, but you don't have them yet. Looks like you still have some time to research.

There's a link in my signature to a tutorial on how to use this site's search functionality. It's a pretty good tutorial, if I do say so myself. Once you get the hang of searching, you'll find that almost everything you want to know has already been answered here.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Yeah, I'm not really used to using the search function. But besides that-
The KK ventilation holes are very thin. No Avic could escape. And how is humidity a problem with KKs?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, I'm not really used to using the search function. But besides that-
The KK ventilation holes are very thin. No Avic could escape. And how is humidity a problem with KKs?
Ugh...

Are these your first spiders? How can you say with certainty, against seasoned keepers, that no avic could escape?

Humidity is a problem because you have too much ventilation in a kritter keeper and will not be able to hold humidity because of it.