Avicularia sp. Kwitara River

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Now that i have your attention.
Are these in the US hobby?
Anyone keeping these Green Avicularia species?
Have they been reclassified or are they still as the title lists?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes- me, very very rare to have them in the US. Not necessarily rare in the wild. As you know there's always 2 types of rare for any hobby.
No, technically the name isn't valid, need some DNA analysis to see what a lot of the Avics are since the revision years ago.

They would be just another Avic, but I'm "sure" they aren't.

By all accounts I've seen over many years around the world, people most align them with M6 both in looks, docile nature, and size

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Although, all I have seen was pictures, I thought they looked like M6 but only a green version.

I been seeing a lot of avicularia species for sale lately but not this one. Rufa is another nice looking avic.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Just curious, does anyone have any unaltered pics of this species?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I could be wrong, but aren't they lumped with A. avic M6?
Kwitara River isn’t mentioned in Fukushima’s 2011 I don’t believe last I checked.

As I recall she only examined Avics that had genus-species names. And many of the holotypes ofseveral “species” were not deposited into collections, could not be examined- so they were regarded nomen dubium

River is merely a locality associated with it.

River and Metallica do look the most alike, and if I recall their regions overlap.

Some think it’s a color morph, others a new species, or a subspecies. It’s not known what it is at the species level.

Last edited: