Avicularia sp. "Ecuador" Breeding Discussion

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I received some "Ecuador" slings from my good friend Steve123 a few years ago, they have now matured.
I would like to document my research and breeding's in this thread.

I believe this is a first in the US for this species, that I am aware of. If someone can direct me to a breeding report of this species, please do, I would love to check it out!

Female molted around 2 months ago. Male matured 3 weeks before she molted.

Here are a few pictures.
Female before bred:

MM after ultimate molt (I wish the females looked like this as well):

Mating's:

Female 1 month, 3 days after mating:

If all goes well and successful, I will move this to the Breeding Reports, with more information.
We need more of these in the hobby!

I will update when she, hopefully, drops.

---------- Post added 11-11-2015 at 01:18 PM ----------

Well, after a decently advanced search here, online, and as well on BTS, I cannot find any information in regards to breeding them, nor any proof they have ever been bred actually.
Is this true?

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd have to search a bit, but I'm pretty sure they're being bred over here - still might be the 1st US hatching though? Good luck!

EDIT: Seemingly being bred since before 2012 actually here - although scanning through "White List of Spidersellers" - take this with a grain of salt however.

Last edited:

Steve123

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Hey Austin,
Yes, they've been bred over in Storm territory:). Indeed, those slings are sac mates from an Avicularia-breeding aficionado in the EU. I dunno if they've been bred here in the states, but can tell you their breeding is not much different than breeding the majority of Avicularia. As you've seen, they are a smallish species and the sacs are smallish too. Fingers crossed for you Austin!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Austin,
Yes, they've been bred over in Storm territory:). Indeed, those slings are sac mates from an Avicularia-breeding aficionado in the EU. I dunno if they've been bred here in the states, but can tell you their breeding is not much different than breeding the majority of Avicularia. As you've seen, they are a smallish species and the sacs are smallish too. Fingers crossed for you Austin!
Thanks Steve! Hope all is well with you and the fam.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice Austin, so w/your pics, the MM is purple and the female not the case? I'd be curious if others have observed this w/this locality.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Only one I know with another MM is Steve123. I'll see if I can get a picture of his MM.
Here is the female and the male, both at 2.5"-3"

I will be working on a full breeding report tomorrow, and this link to this thread will be moved into the Breeding Report section of the forum.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do the adults look like Avicularia purpurea?
This thread is not, nor has it even been mentioned, that they are purpurea.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holy Michelle is speaking of this spider http://www.birdspiders.com/gallery/index.php/Tarantulas/birdspiders_0249 years ago a couple of my wild caught females was purchased by a dealer whom he bought from an importer that sold this species as Avicularia sp. "Ecuador". The dealer stated that it is the same species that is on Rick West website that has a photo of the Avicularia purpurea from "Ecuador". A few years ago when I purchase this Avicularia sp. "Ecuador" the appearance of my specimen resembles a lot of the one that Rick West has on his website.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh! Thanks for the clarification. These were purchased as 3/4" slings a few years ago actually, as Avicularia sp. "Ecuador". Being that the male, and the female were the same species when purchased, and seeing the identical resemblance when growing bigger, I never read to far into it. I was only told from several people that this was the first successful sac of this species. However, am beginning to think it may not have been. Either way, they are an absolutely stunning species, especially the males when mature!

Holly Michelle

Arachnopeon
Do the adults look like Avicularia purpurea?
This thread is not, nor has it even been mentioned, that they are purpurea.
Austin, the picture that I was given as reference to the adult of the 2 Avicularia sp. Ecuador is the same photo you posted (1.0) I read some controversy wether they are Avicularia Purpurea. So I may have some of your slings....in comparison I also picked up a labelled Avicularia Purpurea sling. This far, visually looks identical to Purpurea sling, however (and this could just be individual personality) my Purpurea LOVES to hop (not suprising coming from an arboreal) where my Ecuador's do not and act a lot like versicolor (ADD spider that can't stop moving). I'm excited to watch differences/similarities as they grow.