Avicularia sp. BAHIA (can be only A. fasciculata STRAND 1907)

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Compared with what? The holotypes? Strand's 1907 works?

Which morphological features indicate that this spider is definitely Avicularia fasciculata?

I'm seriously interested to know.

Peter Grabowitz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Compared with what? The holotypes? Strand's 1907 works? Which morphological features indicate that this spider is definitely Avicularia fasciculata? I'm seriously interested to know.
Compared with Strand's work....

BTW, did you compared the "Avicularia versicolor" in our hobby with holotype?

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Compared with Strand's work....

BTW, did you compared the "Avicularia versicolor" in our hobby with holotype?
Interesting. By whom?

No I haven't compared A. versicolor with the type, but I'm fairly confident that an Avicularia versicolor collected on Martinique, Dominica, or Guadeloupe is likely to be an Avicularia versicolor**. They are fairly distinctive within the genus (as well as endemic to the Antilles), although there are probably regional variations.

How you can confidently label a spider Avicularia fasciculata?

Avicularia sp. 'fasciculata' possibly, but without detailed work, when it's known that the entire genus is all over the place, I just can't see how. Do you have the collection loci for the spider, as Brazil is a pretty large place (I'm not asking for them by the way just curious to know if you have them).

Maybe you know something I don't, or maybe there's some unpublished work in progress I'm not aware of (not impossible lol), but I'm just curious as to how this spider is now suddenly identified.

**Bertani. R. et al (2003). Release of urticating hairs by Avicularia versicolor (Walckenaer, 1837) (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Bulletin of the British Arachnological Society, 2003 (Vol. 12) (No. 9) 395-398

I won't mention the Avicularia sp. 'Amazonica' farce then ;)