Avicularia sling question

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
So I have read that avic slings are more delicate than other genus. At what size does his delicateness go away? For example, some guys sell 1-1.5 inch slings. Are these a doable size for a beginner?

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
I believe above 1.5" and you don't have such a delicate T. Obviously it will seem much more delicate with the wrong care, though. I would try to find a 2" avic to begin with.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
yeah, you should be good. just post a pic of the cage youre planning on before purchasing so we can make sure youre set.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Probably going for the "Parmesan cheese" container with cross ventilation holes in the sides, with coco fiber and some fake plants. Although dollar tree has some slightly bigger deli cups that might be better.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Probably going for the "Parmesan cheese" container with cross ventilation holes in the sides, with coco fiber and some fake plants. Although dollar tree has some slightly bigger deli cups that might be better.
i recommend a 32oz deli cup with cross vent, dry coco fiber sub with a water bowl. make sure to have all the fake plants at the top or near the top as thats where the avic will be most of the time and where it will make its web. edit: not sure what a Parmesan cheese container is.

Last edited:

Sana

Arachnoprince
This is actually one of favorite AVIC setups followed closely by peanut butter jars. Post pics before you get your little one so we can help you give it the best possible care from the start. A word of caution with avics though. They don't necessarily exit the delicate stage at 1.5". I have a 2.5" that is determined to be delicate for the rest of its life.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I have read that avic slings are more delicate than other genus. At what size does his delicateness go away? For example, some guys sell 1-1.5 inch slings. Are these a doable size for a beginner?
I've owned/raised many different types of Avics.

2" is the smallest I'd go to not worry about as much considering you are a beginner. The sizes you mentioned have issues, esp 1"

If you have never owned a tarantula before I don't recommend getting an Avic as your first. However, if you cannot control your urge to own one, under 2" is more risk than necessary.

Also, before you get one, please read up about them as much as possible.

Here's a link for you I wrote, questions PM me if you like or post back here w/questions after you read

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/avicularia-husbandry.282549/#post-2461399

Last edited:

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Thanks guys. My end goal is to have at least one arboreal, one terrestrial and one burrower....at least. However I would rather wait on the arboreal until I get some experiance with the terrestrials if there is a risk. I don't want to risk an animals life until I'm ready for sure. I have been asking a lot of questions about many species. I seem a bit flip floppy but better to learn now then after I kill something. If I had got my first impulse it would have been petcenterusa's stromatapelma 2 inchers. That would have went well.....

Sana

Arachnoprince
Thanks guys. My end goal is to have at least one arboreal, one terrestrial and one burrower....at least. However I would rather wait on the arboreal until I get some experiance with the terrestrials if there is a risk. I don't want to risk an animals life until I'm ready for sure. I have been asking a lot of questions about many species. I seem a bit flip floppy but better to learn now then after I kill something. If I had got my first impulse it would have been petcenterusa's stromatapelma 2 inchers. That would have went well.....
I appreciate your approach in learning as much as you can first. NW terrestrials generally make great first tarantulas and are pretty forgiving on husbandry. I got an avic as my second tarantula but I got her at 4" so she was a little less delicate. I can honestly say looking back now that if she had been small I probably would have killed her with inexperience. I feel like the best way to get into avics is to start larger and work your way down in size. It gives you time to really dial in our husbandry and minimizes the risk of loss. Yikes on the Stromatapelma by the way. In my opinion that would not be a good learning experience. If you tell us a little more about what you like in a tarantula (bigger, more colorful, interesting patterns, etc) there will be a bunch of folks jumping up and down to help you find your perfect tarantula. Fair warning, you plan for three now. You'll end up with a dozen. I don't know how it happens but it does nearly every time. Darn spider addiction.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Yeah this forum has been great for the advice. I have those I like Brachypelmas, Aphonopelmas, Nhandus and Chilobrachys. However I am trying to stick with species that I can get above an inch. I would think those would be hardier and easier to feed. I raise dubia, Elliptorhina javanicas and Eublaberus sps. "Pantanal". So convincing my wife I need to get fruit flies or pin head crickets ain't happening lol. I don't plan to get any until The end of sept. Or October. I got my first tarantulas 20 years ago, the day before my freshman year of college. They were promptly seized the first day by my RD. So I have been researching for 20 years llol.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah this forum has been great for the advice. I have those I like Brachypelmas, Aphonopelmas, Nhandus and Chilobrachys. However I am trying to stick with species that I can get above an inch. I would think those would be hardier and easier to feed. I raise dubia, Elliptorhina javanicas and Eublaberus sps. "Pantanal". So convincing my wife I need to get fruit flies or pin head crickets ain't happening lol. I don't plan to get any until The end of sept. Or October. I got my first tarantulas 20 years ago, the day before my freshman year of college. They were promptly seized the first day by my RD. So I have been researching for 20 years llol.
I recommend you get a NW species over an OW genus like Chilo.

Larger will always be easier to manage in terms of general success, ie making it to adult.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
We've had so many 'My Dead Avic' threads here. They have a narrow range of acceptable conditions, and outside of those, they're delicate, even adults. Keep the balance of humidity & ventilation in the right range, and they're hardy. Many people don't get this right on their first Avic or two. The big killers are moist cages that are over-misted, and overly dry cages with too much ventilation and no microclimate. There's probably a higher loss rate with them than any other genera, which is a shame because they're such alert and intelligent spiders, and they deserve better.

You're wise to hold off for now. Get a feel for tarantula care with some of the more manageable NW terrestrials, and progress from there. They're much more forgiving as you get it dialed in. It's discouraging to lose your first spiders. A mistake many beginners make is to pick species based on pretty colors or other characteristics, and are oblivious to the spider's needs, and how fast and defensive some are. If you've had arboreals and/or OW's for any length of time, you'll have an occasional jack-in-the-box with one racing out of it's cage and across the floor. This isn't the kind of thing beginners are prepared to deal with.

cold blood

Staff member
convincing my wife I need to get fruit flies or pin head crickets ain't happening lol. I don't plan to get any until The end of sept. Or October.
You don't ever have to use fruit flies or pinheads....bigger prey can be pre killed or diced into appropriate sizes...I feed a lot of slings diced up mealworms.