Avicularia rickwesti

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I am getting one of these little beauties next week and was just wondering if anyone here is currently keeping them and can share a little info on them.

I have only recently started keeping Avics again recently which is a pleasure :D

I understand their locality is Parque Nacional Jaragua, Dominican Republic. I have researched the average climate but it seems to vary diversely. I believe they are to be kept drier than most other Avics.

This is a stunning sp. and I dont want to mess up the husbandry.

If anyone can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you! :)

For some reason this didn't come up in my search. I dont think the search works the same while using phone.
The search never works on arachnoboards :rofl:, but this one came up on google :D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The search never works on arachnoboards :rofl:, but this one came up on google :D
If you ever want to search AB, the best way is via google but type the following [insert search terms] site:arachnoboards.com

You don't need brackets.

The results will only be from AB.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am getting one of these little beauties next week and was just wondering if anyone here is currently keeping them and can share a little info on them.

I have only recently started keeping Avics again recently which is a pleasure :D

I understand their locality is Parque Nacional Jaragua, Dominican Republic. I have researched the average climate but it seems to vary diversely. I believe they are to be kept drier than most other Avics.

This is a stunning sp. and I dont want to mess up the husbandry.

If anyone can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance :)
Have you obtained the paper describing this one? It's out there if I recall correctly.

cold blood

Staff member
I dont keep any avic differrently than another. Aside from the super dry winter period, i keep all my avics pretty much dry with a dish.

In winter though I do keep moisture in the substrate, but I would never do that in the summer.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I really don't just like using the informative rating. It doesn't feel enough. I'd prefer to be able to add another rating to informative as a nod.

"That post was informative, so have a like as a thank you from me".

That sort of thing.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If you ever want to search AB, the best way is via google but type the following [insert search terms]:arachnoboards.com

You don't need brackets.

The results will only be from AB.
You can also just type site:arachnoboards.com and a space and then type any keywords after that. I use the site: tag all the time.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Have you obtained the paper describing this one? It's out there if I recall correctly.
I have just saved the .pdf papers from the link that @Andrea82 posted ;)

I dont keep any avic differrently than another. Aside from the super dry winter period, i keep all my avics pretty much dry with a dish.

In winter though I do keep moisture in the substrate, but I would never do that in the summer.
I do keep an eye on humidity of my Avics, as over here can be very cold, so with heating being on constantly I like to spray a little spag moss at bottom of bark every few days as not to be too dry.

cold blood

Staff member
I have just saved the .pdf papers from the link that @Andrea82 posted ;)
Yep that was my point exactly, theres not exactly one set way for all climates and all people, we all have many similarities, but also subtle differences in what makes us successful.

I do keep an eye on humidity of my Avics, as over here can be very cold, so with heating being on constantly I like to spray a little spag moss at bottom of bark every few days as not to be too dry.