AVICULARIA REVISION PUBLISHED!

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
So who has the largest collection of Avicularia species and will go through and key them with this revision? :D For starters, I'm guessing pet trade Avicularia metallica is Avicularia avicularia morphotype 6.

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
Help. I have two Avicularia sp guynea? Can't see them anywhere. What are they? Avic avic? Or something else?

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I only have 3 Avics (or maybe not) metallica,braunshauseni and sp colombia so for now I'm going to sit down with a coffee and ignore the fact I may or may not have to change a few labels I think it's for the best.

Ps ignorance is bliss

Rob1985

This user has no status.
This is why I don't label my T's. I just put a label with Thing 1... 2.. and so on. The info on each is on a spreadsheet. lol

awiec

Arachnoprince
I only have 3 Avics (or maybe not) metallica,braunshauseni and sp colombia so for now I'm going to sit down with a coffee and ignore the fact I may or may not have to change a few labels I think it's for the best.

Ps ignorance is bliss
I am still keeping the names on them as reference to what "type" they are. Of course the versis will get relabeled but I agree with moving them to a new genus just due to their several unique traits.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am still keeping the names on them as reference to what "type" they are. Of course the versis will get relabeled but I agree with moving them to a new genus just due to their several unique traits.
I'll probably never replace the labels if I have to but looking through the paper again it seems I won't have to anyway for now .
All joking aside it seems frustrating at times but it's for the good of the hobby and tarantulas in general. I sometimes think a few snap judgements have been made in the past probably for reasons we don't know and that's why we come across names like Avicularia anthracina before they finally became G anthracina.
I can only imagine a big bulky G anthracina climbing amongst leaves and branches

Magenta

Arachnosquire
I only have A. versicolor and A. metallica. My head is spinning after reading all that.:confused:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My head hurts.

I guess Brachypelma is next?

Changing the names that one has been using for years mentally is a nightmare and not always successful. :meh:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
So I had this discussion with the T guys at the my local expo this morning. The consensus is that we are all still calling them Avicularia behind closed doors. Same with Haplopelma! :D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Hah. So fun to see you silly tarantula peeps handling the destruction of "Avicularia" :D It seems that not enough people pay attention to scorpions (scientifically) compared to tarantulas to be changing the generas( families? ummm I keep forgetting. I'm not very good at the entire thing :confused:). Just watch. I'm gonna jinx it and Centruroides will be next xD
revision does not equal destruction. its pretty exciting actually.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
This really isn't that confusing. If your species got changed, change the name. If it didn't, like A. sp. Peru Purple, then keep it as it's labelled now.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have been waiting since Fukushima's thesis proposal in 2011. It's finally finished...

Link to article:
http://zookeys.pensoft.net/articles.php?id=10717

Caribena versicolor
View attachment 232843

Caribena laeta
View attachment 232844

Ybyrapora diversipes
View attachment 232845
I go away for a week and a lot happens..jeez! I've been waiting for years.

I've been expecting this paper for years, and I'm very disappointed only cladistics was used, and no DNA was done.

I'm also bummed out that many of the long kept species in the hobby were not examined, like A. metallica.

Last edited: