Avicularia purpurea phantom egg sac

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just checking on the tarantulas this morning when I picked up my Avicularia purpurea enclosure to see if she had finally moulted yet only to discover that the recent cocooning in the web was in fact a lead up to a phantom egg sac!!!

This is the first phantom sac I've had, or even sac for that matter so I thought Id get a couple of pics with my phone.

Its a shame its infertile, although at least I know she will be ready for breeding after the next moult.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It' a shame that it's infertile, but you should give yourself a "high five" for your spider-keeping skills. {D She wouldn't have made that sac if you weren't providing a comfortable environment for her. She is one happy lady in your care. Job well done!
Diane

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It' a shame that it's infertile, but you should give yourself a "high five" for your spider-keeping skills. {D She wouldn't have made that sac if you weren't providing a comfortable environment for her. She is one happy lady in your care. Job well done!
Diane
Thanks Diane :)

Well someone I know has a juvenile male so fingers crossed if he moults out mature soon and it coincides with her moult cycle I might get a viable sac from her in the not so distant future.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well quick update....

I went away over Xmas and checked her when I got home, turned out she ate it, although suppose that's no biggy seen as though it was infertile. On a lighter note though she moulted last week and is now looking more amazing than ever!!!

When she's actually not in her web nest.... :}

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can't wait to see some pics. They are beautiful when freshly molted. I got an adult female as a Christmas present and she molted 2 weeks ago and is looking very lovely. I wish I could find a boyfriend for her. I have a few small males but they are probably at least a year away from maturing. Guess she has another year to grow.
Diane

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Fingers crossed for you, and I'll definitely be interested in some slings if you have enough luck.

PrettyInInk87

Arachnopeon
Post some pictures! I want one SO bad... Might be trading my female B. auratum for one (if I find one) Lol!

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
I was never really into arboreals, but after seeing these awesome pics I might have to pick up an A. purpurea. Beautiful species!

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What beautiful photos :clap::clap: Your girl is a stunner. You need to find her some loving so she can make some little duplicates of her gorgeous self.
Good luck!
diane

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good luck! After reading this thread someone offered me a mature male as well and I have mated both of my females. Here's hoping to success for both of us. {D
Diane

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Good luck! After reading this thread someone offered me a mature male as well and I have mated both of my females. Here's hoping to success for both of us. {D
Diane
That's awesome news Diane!!!

Certainly fingers crossed for you too :)

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome!My favorite Avic,alongside diversipes....Finding males is difficult,as many people just do not want to part with them.We picked up a 4+ inch female recently and are hoping to be lucky enough to attempt pairing her sometime when a male is available.We need more of these around!Good luck!

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good luck to you guys. I've got one small female paired and I'm waiting on my largest girl to molt. I have a MM that's still kicking and making sperm webs but I don't know if he's going to make it to when my girl molts. From what I've seen, MM's of this sp. don't last very long. Good thing I have another IM. :)

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sounds good Jason, with a bit of luck there will be little A.purpurea to buy everywhere this year.

:)

The_Dude

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome!My favorite Avic,alongside diversipes....Finding males is difficult,as many people just do not want to part with them.We picked up a 4+ inch female recently and are hoping to be lucky enough to attempt pairing her sometime when a male is available.We need more of these around!Good luck!
I know that's an old post... but why would people not want to part with their males? Just curious. Because they don't live as long and don't display as vivid colors as females, correct? I just assumed people would want to part with them in order to loan them out for a "good time" *wink*