Avicularia purpurea Enclosure?

emarie

Arachnopeon
I have been in the hobby for awhile, but have only ever had species that burrow. Decided I finally want to try an arboreal. I am planning to get Avicularia purpurea sling which will hopefully grow into a beautiful adult. I have never had a sling die and just want to make sure I have all the info before I get a new one.

For the sling, should I include a water dish? All but one of my current Ts I got as slings and have not included a water dish until they were a little over an inch. I have seen a lot of cares sheets online suggesting having a water dish for avic. slings. Also I have seen contradictory information on misting and humidity requirements?

When is it an adult/juvenile do the Exo Terra glass terrariums have enough ventilations for them? I have seen so many people talking about the cross ventilation, is this adequate? https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Gl...1557847087&s=gateway&sprefix=arboreal+&sr=8-1

SpaceM

Arachnosquire
I'd use the same set up for my A.avicularia. A lot of the contradictory information you've come across on humidity requirements is because people used to think Avics needed very high humidity which is now known to be one of the quickest ways to kill them. They do need some humidity but making sure you have plenty of ventilation (top and side) is the most important thing. I'd include a bottle cap water dish for a sling.
I'd usually go with a cheap/home made enclosure for slings as they will quickly outgrow it. I've put a couple of examples of my own below. The first is an empty ferrero rocher box modified into an arboreal set up and the second is a food container. Both suitable for a 1-3cm sling.
37821770_1773768376021711_7520527682786820096_n.jpg
38858658_226232784749718_1474097849036701696_n.jpg

Attachments

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Care is pretty simple

Sling all the way through adult you want the substrate primarily dry, provide a water dish, and use a well ventilated enclosure.

My recommendation if it is a small sling is to get an AMAC box and add some holes. it will help reduce the number of times the sling runs out of the enclosure and up your arm.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Be advised they grow very slowly. I acquired mine as a 1 inch sling and it has been in the same modified Amac box for a over year. Set up a good sling enclosure as it’s going to be in there for a while.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I have 3 slings - started them in 32 oz delis. I water them once a week, making sure to get some on their web (the only place I've ever seen them drink from). Dry sub, of course. And they do like to bolt. They can be pretty chill though when feeding. I had one that was upside down on the deli lid. I took the lid off, turned it over, and put a roach on the lid. After it grabbed the roach I turned the lid back over and put back on the deli - the sling never moved (other than grabbing the the roach, of course).

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This is my typical Avic sling setup. Upright bark (something about 3/4 the height of the enclosure is fine), plant cover around the top of the bark, and a bottle cap water dish.

Ventilation - A row of holes all the way around just above substrate level and the same about an inch from the top, a few holes at mid-height and about half a dozen in the lid.

Avic setup side.JPG Avic setup top.JPG

Also I have seen contradictory information on misting and humidity requirements?
I don't mist them ever.

Care sheets encourage people to keep them in overly moist enclosures with restricted ventilation, ignore those, excessive moisture in conjunction with poor air circulation is how you kill Avicularinae.

Keep the substrate mostly dry, you can spritz the odd bit of water on their webbing or the side of the enclosure once a week or so to provide extra drinking opportunities if you want but I've never found this necessary as all of mine will happily come down to use their water dishes.

When is it an adult/juvenile do the Exo Terra glass terrariums have enough ventilations for them?
Yes, they're what I use for my larger Avics.

Lonewolf4478

Arachnopeon
I have been in the hobby for awhile, but have only ever had species that burrow. Decided I finally want to try an arboreal. I am planning to get Avicularia purpurea sling which will hopefully grow into a beautiful adult. I have never had a sling die and just want to make sure I have all the info before I get a new one.

For the sling, should I include a water dish? All but one of my current Ts I got as slings and have not included a water dish until they were a little over an inch. I have seen a lot of cares sheets online suggesting having a water dish for avic. slings. Also I have seen contradictory information on misting and humidity requirements?

When is it an adult/juvenile do the Exo Terra glass terrariums have enough ventilations for them? I have seen so many people talking about the cross ventilation, is this adequate? https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Gl...1557847087&s=gateway&sprefix=arboreal+&sr=8-1
Hi I just got my sling about a week ago I have it in a 5 inch plastic cup that I made from watching a utube video for a water dish I just use a bottle water lid an fill it every day an my Avic Purpurea is doing just fine very happy eats like a champ hope this helps in joy your Ts

Attachments

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking

Something similar.