Avicularia morphotype identification

RHawk

Arachnopeon
Over the past few years, I have become quite an Aviculariinae enthusiast... and something I have noticed a lot is people inquiring about what species or what morphotype of Avicularia they have. The 2017 revision is very long and difficult to read, and it is not geared towards the casual hobbyist. Thus, I have decided to consult some fellow Avicularia enthusiasts, and to paraphrase some of the info that the 2017 revision entails, and what it means for us as hobbyists. If there is any missing information you feel I should cover with this post, feel free to shoot me some suggestions! Enjoy! 🙂

Avicularia species & associated morphotypes

A. avicularia

M1: the standard Guyana pinktoe.. there is some red setae on the back legs (but not a ton), there is some red guard setae on the sides of the abdomen, and they appear slightly grizzled (some hairs on the legs and palps have a dark base, but white tip). sp. blue velvet, sp. Boa Vista, sp. Guyana, etc.. they are found in Brazil, Guyana, French Guyana, Venezuela, Trinidad & Tobago

M2: likely what the hobby calls A. braunshauseni. Profuse cherry-red setae on the 4th leg pair, intense red, long abdominal guard setae.. setae on legs and palps are non-grizzled. Gets very big, comes from the area surrounding Para Tucuri & Mato Grosso, Brazil.

M3: looks similar to A. geroldi, but they do retain small tufts of red setae on the abdomen (whereas TRUE geroldi have all blue). Im pretty sure this is what is called A. velutina..they originate from Venezuela.

M4: possibly hobby A. azuraklaasi, also called A. sp. Tambopata (because they are found in and around the Tambopata Reserve of Peru). Very similar in appearance to m1, the differences lie more in the setae structure, not so much outward appearance. Unlike m1, which have a discretely grizzled appearance, they will have no white tipped hairs. The guard setae and setae on the back legs will be red. Found only in Peru.

M5: sp. Bolivia/Rurrenbaque/Rio Madre/ sp. Riberalta.. looks like an m1 in outward appearance, but they possess yellow bands above the tarsi much like A. rufa. They are found in Santa Cruz, La Paz, and Beni - Bolivia. I haven’t seen these in the hobby.

M6: hobby A. metallica/sp. Kwitara, etc.. Abdominal guard setae are a brownish-grey, and all setae are highly grizzled, giving them a very frosted appearance. Gets pretty big. Comes from Guyana, French Guyana, Venezuela, Trinidad & Tobago, Suriname, and Brazil.

M7: good luck finding any photos of these guys - I’ve only ever seen one picture from the 2017 revision. They look similar to braunshauseni IMO, but apparently they have a very fuzzy grizzled appearance similar to that of m6/metallica, and rather than having an intense red setae like m2/braunshauseni, their guard setae are orange. Originated from the state of Para, Brazil. Not in the hobby

A. geroldi: It was never documented during the revision, so it’s not possible to say where geroldi falls into the A. avicularia morphs. It is said to be yet another form of A. avicularia. They have a non-grizzled appearance (no white tipped hairs like m6 or juruensis m2).. they are pretty similar to m1 in overall appearance, but the thing that stands out in geroldi is the bright blue abdominal guard setae.. they also have a blueish green hue. True geroldi have absolutely no red setae on the legs or abdomen as adults. They are a Brazilian species/morph, but specific locality is unknown to my knowledge.

A. variegata

(A note about variegata: this species wasn’t officially known to science until 2017 after Caroline Fukushima and Rogerio Bertani set out to revise the Avicularia genus. Before then, variegata was known as a ‘subspecies’ of A. avicularia, “A. avicularia variegata”. They found that this spider had enough defining morphological differences to elevate it to species status. At the same time, the type material for A. bicegoi was examined, and found to be a junior synonym of the previously named “A. avicularia variegata”. However, there is a spider that has been labeled “A. bicegoi” in the hobby, which is more than likely misidentified variant of Avicularia juruensis.

M1: sp. Amazonica, from Manaus, the REAL BICEGOI Brazil. Very grizzled appearance. Abdominal setae are a bright cherry red. Femurs are a beautiful steel blue coloration with pale yellow rings adjacent to the patellas. Only morph of variegata that is currently in US hobby.

M2: not much info on these guys. They look just as fuzzy/grizzled as m1, but more of a golden brown/greenish overall aspect (similar to the overall coloration of rufa and/or juruensis m1). Found throughout much of the same range as morphotype 1.. Not in the hobby.

M3: there are no photos of this one, and the description in the revision is very vague, but it exists! Found north of Manaus into Venezuela. Not in the hobby.

Juruensis:

(Just a note: urticans was a junior synonym of juruensis. So if you simply see the name “urticans”, not followed by a “green” or “purple”, that doesn’t indicate what morph you’ve got. What Gunter Schmitt described as “Avicularia urticans” in 1994 is what we now know as juruensis morphotype 2 - however in the European hobby, juruensis morphotype 1 was also given the epithet “urticans ‘green’”, after the overall coloration. I have seen these spiders sold in the United States simply (and incorrectly) labeled “urticans”. Until your spider attains a size of 1.5-2 inches, it’s impossible to discern between the two.

M1: what the hobby calls aurantiaca, ulrichea, sp. Pucallpa, urticans “green”. Non grizzled appearance, setae are long, scraggly, and uniform in color. Color varies from orangish yellow to greenish brown.. Leg banding above the tarsi (feet) vary from a yellowish color to an off-white. Found across Peru and Brazil

M2: what the hobby calls sp. Peru purple, huriana, urticans “purple”. Very grizzled much like A. avicularia morphotype 6, lots of short, dense, fuzzy white tipped setae. Leg banding will vary from a yellowish color to an off-white. They have red abdominal guard setae, and they get a purple hue to their carapace and legs as they get older... this is mostly prevalent in the Peruvian locality - hence the name “sp. Peru purple”. Juruensis also get very big. Found throughout Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, and Brazil.

Purpurea:

They aren’t numbered like the previous 3 species, but rather, they are separated into “northern” & “southern” variants.

North: the standard hobby purpurea. Non-grizzled setae on legs and palps. The abdomen is jet black with a velvety appearance. The carapace appears black, but under natural sunlight/LED lighting, it has an electric purple sheen.

South: sp. Ecuador, looks similar to the other type, but has a bit of a grizzled appearance (very discrete though), the main thing that differentiates them from their northern counterparts is that the females get these rusty red/reddish brown chevron markings on the abdomen that begin to disappear as the female is reaching maturity. There is little difference between males of the northern and southern variants. Not as common as the northern variant in the hobby. In the revision, this “morph” was only documented in Peru, but our hobby stock comes from Ecuador

CONCLUSION:

Although many of the former species are now lumped under these larger “umbrella” species, it is NOT clearly defined how genetically different they really are. Many of them described species such as braunshauseni, geroldi, azuraklaasi, ulrichea, etc never had any type specimens preserved and sent off to museums, therefor they were labeled nomen dubium, or “doubtful name”... it doesn’t necessarily mean those species absolutely do not exist, but it’s hard to say for certain when there was no material for scientists to examine. Because species like metallica, braunshauseni, azuraklaasi, and geroldi are lumped under A. avicularia, and species like huriana, ulrichea, and aurantiaca are lumped under juruensis, does NOT mean that they should be bred together. The reason they were classified in the manner that they were is because these former “species” did not have enough defining morphological features to differentiate them as species (i.e. spermathacae shape, male palpal bulb shape, and so on). A. avicularia and A. juruensis have enormous ranges across a good portion of South America, separated by geographical features such as rivers, mountains, etc, and there is still a chance that they have become genetically different enough to be considered separate species in the future. Now that scientists have collected material from all of the known localities for the nomen dubium species, they will be able to examine them in the future. The purpose of the revision was not to be the end-all-say-all on Avicularia classification, but rather to lay the groundwork for future work with the genus. In the meantime, you can still label your spiders as “aurantiaca”, or “braunshauseni”, etc. I hope this will help shed some light on what is such a confusing genus for many!

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Over the past few years, I have become quite an Aviculariinae enthusiast... and something I have noticed a lot is people inquiring about what species or what morphotype of Avicularia they have. The 2017 revision is very long and difficult to read, and it is not geared towards the casual hobbyist. Thus, I have decided to consult some fellow Avicularia enthusiasts, and to paraphrase some of the info that the 2017 revision entails, and what it means for us as hobbyists. If there is any missing information you feel I should cover with this post, feel free to shoot me some suggestions! Enjoy! 🙂

Avicularia species & associated morphotypes

A. avicularia

M1: the standard Guyana pinktoe.. there is some red setae on the back legs (but not a ton), there is some red guard setae on the sides of the abdomen, and they appear slightly grizzled (some hairs on the legs and palps have a dark base, but white tip). sp. blue velvet, sp. Boa Vista, sp. Guyana, etc.. they are found in Brazil, Guyana, French Guyana, Venezuela, Trinidad & Tobago

M2: likely what the hobby calls A. braunshauseni. Profuse cherry-red setae on the 4th leg pair, intense red, long abdominal guard setae.. setae on legs and palps are non-grizzled. Gets very big, comes from the area surrounding Para Tucuri & Mato Grosso, Brazil.

M3: looks similar to A. geroldi, but they do retain small tufts of red setae on the abdomen (whereas TRUE geroldi have all blue). Im pretty sure this is what is called A. velutina..they originate from Venezuela.

M4: possibly hobby A. azuraklaasi, also called A. sp. Tambopata (because they are found in and around the Tambopata Reserve of Peru). Very similar in appearance to m1, the differences lie more in the setae structure, not so much outward appearance. Unlike m1, which have a discretely grizzled appearance, they will have no white tipped hairs. The guard setae and setae on the back legs will be red. Found only in Peru.

M5: sp. Bolivia/Rurrenbaque/Rio Madre/ sp. Riberalta.. looks like an m1 in outward appearance, but they possess yellow bands above the tarsi much like A. rufa. They are found in Santa Cruz, La Paz, and Beni - Bolivia. I haven’t seen these in the hobby.

M6: hobby A. metallica/sp. Kwitara, etc.. Abdominal guard setae are a brownish-grey, and all setae are highly grizzled, giving them a very frosted appearance. Gets pretty big. Comes from Guyana, French Guyana, Venezuela, Trinidad & Tobago, Suriname, and Brazil.

M7: good luck finding any photos of these guys - I’ve only ever seen one picture from the 2017 revision. They look similar to braunshauseni IMO, but apparently they have a very fuzzy grizzled appearance similar to that of m6/metallica, and rather than having an intense red setae like m2/braunshauseni, their guard setae are orange. Originated from the state of Para, Brazil. Not in the hobby

A. geroldi: It was never documented during the revision, so it’s not possible to say where geroldi falls into the A. avicularia morphs. It is said to be yet another form of A. avicularia. They have a non-grizzled appearance (no white tipped hairs like m6 or juruensis m2).. they are pretty similar to m1 in overall appearance, but the thing that stands out in geroldi is the bright blue abdominal guard setae.. they also have a blueish green hue. True geroldi have absolutely no red setae on the legs or abdomen as adults. They are a Brazilian species/morph, but specific locality is unknown to my knowledge.

A. variegata

(A note about variegata: this species wasn’t officially known to science until 2017 after Caroline Fukushima and Rogerio Bertani set out to revise the Avicularia genus. Before then, variegata was known as a ‘subspecies’ of A. avicularia, “A. avicularia variegata”. They found that this spider had enough defining morphological differences to elevate it to species status. At the same time, the type material for A. bicegoi was examined, and found to be a junior synonym of the previously named “A. avicularia variegata”. However, there is a spider that has been labeled “A. bicegoi” in the hobby, which is more than likely misidentified variant of Avicularia juruensis.

M1: sp. Amazonica, from Manaus, the REAL BICEGOI Brazil. Very grizzled appearance. Abdominal setae are a bright cherry red. Femurs are a beautiful steel blue coloration with pale yellow rings adjacent to the patellas. Only morph of variegata that is currently in US hobby.

M2: not much info on these guys. They look just as fuzzy/grizzled as m1, but more of a golden brown/greenish overall aspect (similar to the overall coloration of rufa and/or juruensis m1). Found throughout much of the same range as morphotype 1.. Not in the hobby.

M3: there are no photos of this one, and the description in the revision is very vague, but it exists! Found north of Manaus into Venezuela. Not in the hobby.

Juruensis:

(Just a note: urticans was a junior synonym of juruensis. So if you simply see the name “urticans”, not followed by a “green” or “purple”, that doesn’t indicate what morph you’ve got. What Gunter Schmitt described as “Avicularia urticans” in 1994 is what we now know as juruensis morphotype 2 - however in the European hobby, juruensis morphotype 1 was also given the epithet “urticans ‘green’”, after the overall coloration. I have seen these spiders sold in the United States simply (and incorrectly) labeled “urticans”. Until your spider attains a size of 1.5-2 inches, it’s impossible to discern between the two.

M1: what the hobby calls aurantiaca, ulrichea, sp. Pucallpa, urticans “green”. Non grizzled appearance, setae are long, scraggly, and uniform in color. Color varies from orangish yellow to greenish brown.. Leg banding above the tarsi (feet) vary from a yellowish color to an off-white. Found across Peru and Brazil

M2: what the hobby calls sp. Peru purple, huriana, urticans “purple”. Very grizzled much like A. avicularia morphotype 6, lots of short, dense, fuzzy white tipped setae. Leg banding will vary from a yellowish color to an off-white. They have red abdominal guard setae, and they get a purple hue to their carapace and legs as they get older... this is mostly prevalent in the Peruvian locality - hence the name “sp. Peru purple”. Juruensis also get very big. Found throughout Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, and Brazil.

Purpurea:

They aren’t numbered like the previous 3 species, but rather, they are separated into “northern” & “southern” variants.

North: the standard hobby purpurea. Non-grizzled setae on legs and palps. The abdomen is jet black with a velvety appearance. The carapace appears black, but under natural sunlight/LED lighting, it has an electric purple sheen.

South: sp. Ecuador, looks similar to the other type, but has a bit of a grizzled appearance (very discrete though), the main thing that differentiates them from their northern counterparts is that the females get these rusty red/reddish brown chevron markings on the abdomen that begin to disappear as the female is reaching maturity. There is little difference between males of the northern and southern variants. Not as common as the northern variant in the hobby. In the revision, this “morph” was only documented in Peru, but our hobby stock comes from Ecuador

CONCLUSION:

Although many of the former species are now lumped under these larger “umbrella” species, it is NOT clearly defined how genetically different they really are. Many of them described species such as braunshauseni, geroldi, azuraklaasi, ulrichea, etc never had any type specimens preserved and sent off to museums, therefor they were labeled nomen dubium, or “doubtful name”... it doesn’t necessarily mean those species absolutely do not exist, but it’s hard to say for certain when there was no material for scientists to examine. Because species like metallica, braunshauseni, azuraklaasi, and geroldi are lumped under A. avicularia, and species like huriana, ulrichea, and aurantiaca are lumped under juruensis, does NOT mean that they should be bred together. The reason they were classified in the manner that they were is because these former “species” did not have enough defining morphological features to differentiate them as species (i.e. spermathacae shape, male palpal bulb shape, and so on). A. avicularia and A. juruensis have enormous ranges across a good portion of South America, separated by geographical features such as rivers, mountains, etc, and there is still a chance that they have become genetically different enough to be considered separate species in the future. Now that scientists have collected material from all of the known localities for the nomen dubium species, they will be able to examine them in the future. The purpose of the revision was not to be the end-all-say-all on Avicularia classification, but rather to lay the groundwork for future work with the genus. In the meantime, you can still label your spiders as “aurantiaca”, or “braunshauseni”, etc. I hope this will help shed some light on what is such a confusing genus for many!
Awesome text. And I 100% agree with you, its not because a species has 7 morphotypes, that one can breed them all together. I think hobbysts should keep the old names exactly because of these issues. Wether a braunshauseni will continue with these label in the future, scientifically, is a whole other thing that we will have to sit ans wait for a while.

Again, awesome text, thanks for sharing.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I've always wondered how the term "guard setae" is defined and what "grizzled" means exactly.

RHawk

Arachnopeon
Did it mention the A. Minatrix by chance?
No, I only included the species that were labeled as “nomen dubium”, and those who were assigned morphotypes 🙂

I've always wondered how the term "guard setae" is defined and what "grizzled" means exactly.
I did mention the meaning of grizzled - short, dense hairs that are dark at the base but white on the tips.. but I don’t think I explained guard setae - it’s the long setae that form a “V” shape on the top and outer sides of the abdomen

Craig73

Arachnoangel
No, I only included the species that were labeled as “nomen dubium”, and those who were assigned morphotypes 🙂
Thanks. I’m not one that can wrap my head around scientific papers, your write up is appreciated, I’m an avic fan and nice to actually understand some of this for once. 🙂

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I did mention the meaning of grizzled - short, dense hairs that are dark at the base but white on the tips.. but I don’t think I explained guard setae - it’s the long setae that form a “V” shape on the top and outer sides of the abdomen
I forgot to add a smiley indicating I was joking. The definition for guard setae on the abdomen and legs as well as "grizzled" is clearly defined in the paper. Sorry about that, just ignore me. This is a nice summary by the way.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
but I don’t think I explained guard setae - it’s the long setae that form a “V” shape on the top and outer sides of the abdomen
I’ve always used the term dorsolateral to describe those setae.

In my AF geroldi they are ELECTRIC BLUE, quite striking!!

The paper is peer-reviewed research. Writing it is “difficult to read” is purely subjective. I thought it was written well.

Now if only the genetic analysis could be done soon!

Last edited:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Ok, so I have a dumb evolution question. How did some A. avics get to be on Trinidad and Tobago when all the rest are from South America? Did they float there on driftwood and just set up shop? Or were the islands once part of the mainland South American continent millions of years ago and over time they just separated with all the flora and fauna that was part of the mainland?

RHawk

Arachnopeon
I’ve always used the term dorsolateral to describe those setae.

In my AF geroldi they are ELECTRIC BLUE, quite striking!!

The paper is peer-reviewed research. Writing it is “difficult to read” is purely subjective. I thought it was written well.

Now if only the genetic analysis could be done soon!
When I am referring to the paper as being “difficult” to read, I am mainly talking about for an average hobbyist. I know of several people who absolutely refuse to accept this new information based solely on the fact that they can’t understand it. Also the countless people that come here and post blurry pictures saying “just picked up this Avic at the pet store. It looks big so I think braunshauseni!” Or “it’s green, must be sp. Kwitara!” (not knowing that sp. Kwitara is a moniker given to a specific locality of A. avicularia Lol).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know of several people who absolutely refuse to accept this new information based solely on the fact that they can’t understand it

It’s a scientific paper. One can’t expect it to be written for a non-scientific audience hah. That’s simply DELUSIONAL thinking by those people.

People that refuse to accept it for the above reason you cite must come from the medieval ages, and are members of the flat earth society :rofl:

Their position is laughable.

Their line of thinking “if I can’t understand it, it’s not true/accept it” is so delusional.

Would these same people refuse a life saving surgical technique simply because they don’t have the training to understand it, or a medication simply because they didn’t have basic biochemistry, or refuse to get their car fixed simply because they don’t understand the explanation..........

Last edited:

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
It’s a scientific paper. One can’t expect it to be written for a non-scientific audience hah. That’s simply DELUSIONAL thinking by those people.

People that refuse to accept it for the above reason you cite must come from the medieval ages, and are members of the flat earth society :rofl:

Their position is laughable.
Same happened when B. hamorii x B. smithi article was released.

Whatever the reason, there will always be people who will refuse scientific articles, and that's very unfortunate, imo.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
@RHawk
Thank you for putting the time into making this as accurate as possible. You've clearly done your homework.

RHawk

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my “cliff notes” I typed up, I hope that it will be useful to someone in the future.. and I’m stoked I got the CEC stamp of approval 😁

Feel free to spam with photos of your different Avicularia, and label what each one is!

Avicularia juruensis morph 1 (“urticans ‘green’”) long “shaggy” setae on legs/palps, sparsely dispersed.. those setae are uniform in color and light (as opposed to the short, dense, grizzled setae (the white tipped, “frosted” appearance)

A. juruensis morph 2... note the dense, short grizzled hairs covering the legs (very much like A. avicularia m6 “metallica”), these are “sp. Peru purple”, so they are showing a purple hue... there is some minor differences in coloration between sp. Peru purple and huriana - look more so for setae structure than color, as it can vary.

A. sp. Ecuador... looks similar to the standard “hobby” purpurea (the northern type), but their hairs are shorter, more dense, very discretely grizzled, and have more of a metallic sheen to them. Females develop these coppery-red dorsolateral (thanks for the suggestion Viper69!) stripes that they keep up to maturity, after which the stripes become more subtle. I wish I had an adult photo to share, maybe CEC could bless us with one of his awesome photos 🙏

Avicularia braunshauseni (nomen dubium Tesmoignt species), most closely matches A. avicularia morphotype 2.. dense (but non-grizzled) red setae on leg pair IV, long, very prominent red guard setae.. lots of reddish hair around the trochanter area, giving contrast to the dark blue-green carapace and deep navy blue legs. Looks more “shaggy” than the fuzzy appearance of the highly grizzled A. avicularia m6 & m7

Attachments

RHawk

Arachnopeon
0.1 Avicularia variegata morph 1 - ex sp. Amazonica ‘Manaus’.. the real bicegoi?

Avicularia rufa.. also has a pretty big range across South America, across Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, and according to the map in the revision, even as far as Ecuador. Like A. avicularia, rufa has back legs roughly 10% longer than the front legs - that can distinguish them from juruensis and variegata when at a small size... of course they have vibrant yellow banding above the tarsi, and they have the pink bangs at the end of the tarsi. They have a very grizzled appearance and get pretty large (mature males can get to be 6.5-7” DLS. Once misidentified as A. juruensis

Attachments

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Thank you very much for this excellent information, @RHawk 👍

Ok, so I have a dumb evolution question. How did some A. avics get to be on Trinidad and Tobago when all the rest are from South America? Did they float there on driftwood and just set up shop? Or were the islands once part of the mainland South American continent millions of years ago and over time they just separated with all the flora and fauna that was part of the mainland?
That's a great question, very interesting to me. Today, it's only about 10 km from Trinidad to the mainland, and about 33 km from Trinidad to Tobago. The waters that separate these islands from the mainland are shallow enough that there would have been land bridges during ice ages, when the sea level was much lower (due to much more of the world's water being locked up frozen as ice at the poles). The most likely explanation is that ancient Avicularia populations expanded across the land bridges, then were separated as the sea level rose and cut off these islands. Then the separate populations evolving independently became different species through allopatric (allo = other, patric = fatherland) speciation.
This is also the currently accepted view of how ancient tarantulas got to Australia from Asia.

There are other less likely possibilities, such as a hurricane uprooting an Avicularia-populated tree that floated some distance across the sea water. I think I read somewhere about one known example of some trapdoor spider species from South Africa having become established in Australia having floated long-distance across the ocean (amazing! but this must be very rare, and is a much less probable way for tarantulas to move between land masses, especially at that distance). Rainer Foelix notes, in his excellent text, that the spiders populating Madagascar are very different from those in nearby Africa, and that no tarantulas from Australia are populating the barrier reef islands.

There are many questions about the evolution of these Avicularia and other tarantula species, how long ago they diverged from one another, what is more closely related to what, whether certain genera are justifiably separate from an evolutionary standpoint. I've read comments on AB that tarantulas have been evolving for many hundreds of millions of years. Not quite true, not many hundreds, but maybe one hundred million years. Most of the species we have are separated by much less evolutionary time than that. DNA sequences from many Theraphosid species are becoming available now. I'm salivating in excitement. I've been thinking about doing some focused sequence analyses to post here on AB, geared toward answering specific questions, if that would be of interest. I do this kind of thing for my profession and as a hobby, but I can write in ways that anyone would understand. With the wealth of knowledge here on AB, in the scientific literature, and now with DNA, we're really going to be able to sort out many of these messes held over from the past.

Last edited:

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Thank you very much for this excellent information, @RHawk 👍

That's a great question, very interesting to me. Today, it's only about 10 km from Trinidad to the mainland, and about 33 km from Trinidad to Tobago. The waters that separate these islands from the mainland are shallow enough that there would have been land bridges during ice ages, when the sea level was much lower (due to much more of the world's water being locked up frozen as ice at the poles). The most likely explanation is that ancient Avicularia populations expanded across the land bridges, then were separated as the sea level rose and cut off these islands. Then the separate populations evolving independently became different species through allopatric (allo = other, patric = fatherland) speciation.
This is also the currently accepted view of how ancient tarantulas got to Australia from Asia.

There are other less likely possibilities, such as a hurricane uprooting an Avicularia-populated tree that floated some distance across the sea water. I think I read somewhere about one known example of some trapdoor spider species from South Africa having become established in Australia having floated long-distance across the ocean (amazing! but this must be very rare, and is a much less probable way for tarantulas to move between land masses, especially at that distance). Rainer Foelix notes, in his excellent text, that the spiders populating Madagascar are very different from those in nearby Africa, and that no tarantulas from Australia are populating the barrier reef islands.

There are many questions about the evolution of these Avicularia and other tarantula species, how long ago they diverged from one another, what is more closely related to what, whether certain genera are justifiably separate from an evolutionary standpoint. I've read comments on AB that tarantulas have been evolving for many hundreds of millions of years. Not quite true, not many hundreds, but maybe one hundred million years. Most of the species we have are separated by much less evolutionary time than that. DNA sequences from many Theraphosid species are becoming available now. I'm salivating in excitement. I've been thinking about doing some focused sequence analyses to post here on AB, geared toward answering specific questions, if that would be of interest. I do this kind of thing for my profession and as a hobby, but I can write in ways that anyone would understand. With the wealth of knowledge here on AB, in the scientific literature, and now with DNA, we're really going to be able to sort out many of these messes held over from the past.
I would definitely be interested! It’s one of my annoyances with keeping arachnids, I have so many unanswered questions.