Avicularia metallica Mangled Legs - Need Help, Please

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Well, it's just my luck when I am already questioning my ability to raise avic spiderlings that this happens.
I just picked up this spiderling today at the expo and his little legs are mangled. There was a moult in the lid of the enclosure, so he might have moulted on route to the show. He is missing a leg too. His fangs are still too light to feed him, but I will try to feed something soft in a couple of days.
I have already contacted the dealer and they have agreed to extend the warranty on him until he moults next, which is great of them, but I would really prefer it if I could get him through this.
I have posted photos of him and the enclosure that he is in. He is thin and not moving around very well. The other one I bought is also missing a leg, but he is doing fine and is much larger and more active. I'm not worried about the other one, this one is causing me a lot of concern.
What can I do to help him? Would moving him to a smaller enclosure help? He has trouble getting around and I don't want him to not be able to get to food or water. There is currently no water in his enclosure, but I will put him into one where I can fit a dish in it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really want to pull him through this. :(
DSC00928-2.jpg DSC00933-2.jpg DSC00939-2.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I would do exactly what you were considering - move it to a small enclosure, much smaller than you usually would. This will make it easy for it to get to food and water. Unfortunately, I've also noticed that slings seem to grow slower in small enclosures, meaning it might be longer until the next molt. Ventilation may also pose a problem in such a small enclosure. Regardless, I would still do it.

I'd offer a diet of wax/meal worms so that it's very easy for it to eat. As you know, try to keep it warm to try and trigger another molt as soon as possible. Please keep us updated, and good luck!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I got him into the lid of the bottle that he was in and he drank a huge drop of water. I dropped it in next to him and he moved over top of it and sucked it up in a second.
DSC00948-2.jpg

Then I quickly put together a smaller enclosure for him, about an inch shorter, with two water dishes in it and some cork bark. I put one dish on the ground and attached the other close to the top. He can sit on top of the cork bark and drink.
Does this look as if it might work?
DSC00969-2.jpg
DSC00970-2.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That looks perfect to me. It isn't curling, which is great. I think it's going to be fine, it just may walk a little funny for awhile!

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Only other thing I'd do, which you probably do anyways, is just drip some water near it occasionally just in case it isn't able to drink from the bowls like it should.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I had a B.smithi (who was a sling at the time) that molted in transit and had legs that were mangled like that. I called it crazy legs cause they pointed in all kinds of directions. I was actually surprised at how well it got around. I did feed it prekilled roaches and used a bit shallower water dish than I did with my other Ts till it molted . After the molt it's legs were fine and later I found out she was a female.

The enclosure setup looks good. Maybe do prekilled till it molts again. Access to water is great just don't let it get too muggy in there for Avics. At that size it should molt again much faster than my B.smithi did.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I checked in on him and he has set himself up nicely in the shrubbery that he came with. I topped up the water and placed a couple of drops in that peat - just above where he is sitting.
There are a lot of holes down all the sides of the enclosure. Plus, with the colder weather it has become drier in here. I am keeping the substrate dry.
He is moving a bit, but not much. I opened up a small mealworm and squeezed the insides up to the hole and offered it to him and he turned away from it. It is probably still too early to feed him because he has just moulted. That is probably what caused this issue to begin with - moulting in transit.
I haven't given up on him and I will continue to offer food every evening like I did tonight. I will leave it in there overnight when his fangs get a bit harder. I don't know if his fangs are okay even. The best photo I got showed them to be very light, but not enough detail of them to see if they were damaged. He is only a half inch.
I won't give up on the little guy.
DSC01149-2.jpg

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Aside from the legs he looks healthy. I'd give him a few days then leave some pre-killed food near him over night.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I appreciate the feedback from everyone and I appreciate your B.smithi story. I feel really horrible about his condition and, even though the warranty has been extended on him until after he moults, I don't want to lose him. I owe it to him to do whatever I can. These things happen sometimes, but I don't want to give up on him.
Thanks again.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I appreciate the feedback from everyone and I appreciate your B.smithi story. I feel really horrible about his condition and, even though the warranty has been extended on him until after he moults, I don't want to lose him. I owe it to him to do whatever I can. These things happen sometimes, but I don't want to give up on him.
Thanks again.
He's in good hands, that helps too you know ;)
Good luck with the little guy!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
It definitely looks like he's improved since the first picture, hope all is well with the little one :)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I put food in last night and, unfortunately, it was still untouched this morning. This little one is now sitting on the ground and moving even less than before. I'll keep trying to feed them and hope that they perk up. The other one didn't eat either, but is active and hanging out on their cork bark.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It's abdomen looks good for it's size. I wouldn't worry too much about him not eating yet. I know it's easier said than done though. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
I put food in last night and, unfortunately, it was still untouched this morning. This little one is now sitting on the ground and moving even less than before. I'll keep trying to feed them and hope that they perk up. The other one didn't eat either, but is active and hanging out on their cork bark.
Hang tight, Vanessa. They're in great hands with you being their Mom. We're with you.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Hang tight, Vanessa. They're in great hands with you being their Mom. We're with you.
Thank you. That is much kinder than seeing my injured tarantula as the perfect opportunity to stick it to me.

cold blood

Staff member
My experience is that slings in such condition will eat a lot less, like just once or twice...which means even more patience is required as it can take a long time to molt.

It does look like they molted in transit.

This one made it through worse...but its still tiny compared to its siblings.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My experience is that slings in such condition will eat a lot less, like just once or twice...which means even more patience is required as it can take a long time to molt.
This one made it through worse...but its still tiny compared to its siblings.
Does/did that poor baby only have two legs? :anxious:

cold blood

Staff member

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Just so I can be clear on this situation. He moulted before I got him - not after. The moult was already inside his web hammock when I opened the container at the show.
I just don't want any misunderstandings. That is why the dealer has agreed to extend the warranty until he moults again.