Avicularia Metallica hasn't eaten in a month

AlexVevo

Arachnopeon
I've only had my tarantula for 6 months and shes done just fine so far. When I initially bought her she used to eat VERY often like once a week or twice even. She became very plump and molted and ever since she molted she barely eats now... The set up is a zoo med 12x12x18 enclosure with an acrylic top instead of mesh and lots of ventilation. I use a completely dry coco fiber substrate and I keep her water dish full all the time. Is this a cause of concern?

Attachments

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
From what I can see, she looks healthy. A lot of my spiders aren't eating or moving around a whole lot right now either. It's still winter and it's cold/ dry, so that may be contributing. I've had mine easily go for weeks without food at times and they're still perfectly healthy. If her abdomen starts looking shrunken and shriveled, then I'd be concerned. Just offer her food each week and see if she eventually eats.

Envoirment

Arachnosquire
Her abdomen looks healthy/plump and not shrivelled so you have nothing to worry about. Just keep offering her food every week and make sure she has a full water dish. Tarantulas can sometimes be fickle - especially after moulting.

AlexVevo

Arachnopeon
From what I can see, she looks healthy. A lot of my spiders aren't eating or moving around a whole lot right now either. It's still winter and it's cold/ dry, so that may be contributing. I've had mine easily go for weeks without food at times and they're still perfectly healthy. If her abdomen starts looking shrunken and shriveled, then I'd be concerned. Just offer her food each week and see if she eventually eats.
Yeah I live in Colorado and it gets pretty cold indoors. It sucks too since my room gets the coldest sometimes.

I've only had my tarantula for 6 months and shes done just fine so far. When I initially bought her she used to eat VERY often like once a week or twice even. She became very plump and molted and ever since she molted she barely eats now... The set up is a zoo med 12x12x18 enclosure with an acrylic top instead of mesh and lots of ventilation. I use a completely dry coco fiber substrate and I keep her water dish full all the time. Is this a cause of concern?
Also she molted around early December

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you have an adult, then the time mentioned is not an issue. Larger they get, longer it takes for them to eat.

I’ve raised tons of Avics- once or twice a week is not a lot of eating.

AlexVevo

Arachnopeon
If you have an adult, then the time mentioned is not an issue. Larger they get, longer it takes for them to eat.

I’ve raised tons of Avics- once or twice a week is not a lot of eating.
She’s about 2 1/2 inches so she’s either a juvenile or young adult

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She’s about 2 1/2 inches so she’s either a juvenile or young adult
That would have been useful to know hah Details are important, in this case, while not overly concerned, I would monitor abdomen size, make sure it doesn't get too small. Feed when fangs are black only, or it may die.

TreMul

Arachnopeon
I've had the same thing with a few of mine over the past year, and like it's already been said, the older they get, the less often they eat. It can be worrisome but there are folks on here that have been doing this for much longer than I have, so I trust the advice.

AlexVevo

Arachnopeon
That would have been useful to know hah Details are important, in this case, while not overly concerned, I would monitor abdomen size, make sure it doesn't get too small. Feed when fangs are black only, or it may die.
She ate a few times after she molted in early December. Last time she ate was late January. I watch her abdomen size about every day since she likes to be out.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
She ate a few times after she molted in early December. Last time she ate was late January. I watch her abdomen size about every day since she likes to be out.
She has enough nutrients to help her through the next cycle of moulting, so she doesn't need food and therefore doesn't eat. Keep water available to her, that's all.