Avicularia metallica falling

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got my Avicularia sp. "metallica" yesterday. During her cage exploration, she took a few falls. Both times she landed on a branch I have there. However, second time she landed upside down so I'm worried.

How much these guys can take?

She is 4,5-5 inches.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got my Avicularia sp. "metallica" yesterday. During her cage exploration, she took a few falls. Both times she landed on a branch I have there. However, second time she landed upside down so I'm worried.

How much these guys can take?

She is 4,5-5 inches.
I'm not sure how much they can take but if the falls are not super high then it should be fine.

She is probably falling because its in need of a molt. If your baby is in need of a molt then her pads are not working as well as they should because she is probably going to molt soon. Avics walk funny and act funny kind of like they are drunk when in pre molt.....When was the last time she molted? also does it look like she is trying to walk on the tips of her feet instead of on her feet?

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also does it look like she is trying to walk on the tips of her feet instead of on her feet?
Yes, I think it looks like that.

I don't know when she molted. I'll try to find out.

I find it pretty interesting that she fell, even if she needs a molt. There's no way this would happen to my P. cambridgei or P. regalis. :)

dalejamin

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I have an E. campestratus who took to climbling the side of the tank one night. I dunno what got into her. She fell once or twice, but not too bad, and she's none the worse for the wear. Still, I totally understand the concern. I was a *tad* bit worried at the time, though (especially considering my little girl's not arboreal) :eek:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She will be just fine. I have had slings and juvies jump from my hands fall 5 feet or more and hit the ground running. Aboreals are made for that kinda thing.
If you are overly worried you can shorten the distance she can fall by adding more substrate, but I am sure she is fine as is. I have to get me some more avics.