Avicularia meriane

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
Keepers who have kept this species (ex tarapoto)... How is the growth rate for you?

I'm finding that mine is pretty slow growing. It's ~ 1inch maximum, and it's already been 79 days since it's last molt.

I've read mixed things about the max size of this species. Anyone have any input? I'm keeping it like any other avicularia.

Looking for someone that started with a sling, and raised to adulthood.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
How often you are feeding them, and the temperature that they're kept at, plays a role. You should include that information.
Also, not all of the Avicularia are fast growing, some species are medium and slow growing. It is not uncommon that species in the same genera have different growth rates.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Avicularia purpurea, for example, grows slower than most other Avicularias

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
How often you are feeding them, and the temperature that they're kept at, plays a role. You should include that information.
Also, not all of the Avicularia are fast growing, some species are medium and slow growing. It is not uncommon that species in the same genera have different growth rates.
I've fed it as often as it would like. Temps are kept at an average of 75 degrees. At this size, it's molted less frequently than my brachy, grammostola did at the same size.

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
I've fed it as often as it would like. Temps are kept at an average of 75 degrees. At this size, it's molted less frequently than my brachy, grammostola did at the same size. It's plump, hasn't eaten in 26 days.

Edit: annnnd it's molting. Can't make this stuff up. 79 days.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I've fed it as often as it would like. Temps are kept at an average of 75 degrees. At this size, it's molted less frequently than my brachy, grammostola did at the same size.
How often is as often as it would like? You should be feeding once or twice a week on a set schedule. It's sounds like all you've done is put them into a quick pre-moult fast and your temperatures are not warm enough to bring on a faster moult.

Buffalo Ts

Arachnoknight
How often is as often as it would like? You should be feeding once or twice a week on a set schedule. It's sounds like all you've done is put them into a quick pre-moult fast and your temperatures are not warm enough to bring on a faster moult.
I try to space our feeding based on previous molt cycle, knowing that the next molt will take longer. This individuals previous molt cycle was 43 days. This individual was fed ~once a week. When I said as often as it liked, I was implying I wasn't starving the animal.

Based on data collected from my other new world individuals at similar size, the next molt cycle would be ~10-40% longer than the previous cycle.

Its final meal was on day 55.

It's quite a jump based on the data I've collected, going from 43, to 79 days.

The only other species in my collection with that kind of jump is my female G pulchra. However, she is 2 inch. Her last molt cycle was 63, and she is going on 126. But this species is notoriously slow growing.

Which is why I asked about their max size. I would expect an individual that small to be molting a little more frequently, but if it a slower growing species, then it would make more sense.

Of course, this individual could be slower than others in the species. Which is why I asked for someone with experience with this species, going from sling to adulthood.

I wasn't worried about it's Health, temps, etc.I was just looking to get some information on this species.

Last edited:

Sanddude

Arachnopeon
Avicularia purpurea, for example, grows slower than most other Avicularias
I was actually curious about your experience with avicularia purpurea, because I have two slings, with their lovely black and white pattern, but I've had them for about 6 months and they have only molted 1. I try to feed them regularly but they often refuse to eat. Anything I could do to help them get to adulthood at a good pace or if this is just as fast as they grow?