Avicularia laeta question

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello guys and girls.

Last month i bought an Avicularia laeta (puerto rican pinktoe) and it came in a tiny plastic container with air holes poked in the top of the lid. The little guy recently had a fantastic molt so i decided to transfer him into a slightly larger glass container. I poked air holes in the container's lid to allow for air flow, but i've recently noted the jar fogging a bit.

here's the question:

Do Avicularia laeta perfer the higher humidity (like Avicularia versicolor) or moderate humidity like a generic pinktoe? Is the fogging a problem for the Avicularia laeta or should i poke a few more holes in the lid to solve this problem?

thanks in advance

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All Avicularia spp. like the humidity to be high (80%).

The only problem with that is that they also need a lot of ventilation, or else it will kill em. So, I just make sure there are a LOT of holes poked in their cages and mist once or twice a day. I have had my adult female pinktoe since November and she is doing great.....

tarantulas.com

Arachnopeon
ventilation

That fogging sounds like it could become a problem. Ventilation is very important to most arboreals especially avicularia, as previously stated. I would recommend replacing the lid with screen, if at all possible.

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the advice! im working to correct the problem as we speak!

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My Avic does fine with the high humidity and a screen lid covered in seram wrap. The thing is I put in a substrate that doesn't hold humidity well to prevent fungal growth.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i keep all of my avics(have several ssp.) in kritter keepers,they get misted weekly,small waterdish,corkhide,pretty dry substrate,and they do excellent,never had a problem(molting,etc) that way.they must have very good ventilation. that is the main key with this ssp.