Avicularia/Iridopelma Enclosure for Slings/Juvies

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
I have had many people ask me about my setups for Avicularia slings/juveniles. I'm starting this thread so I can link to it later when asked again.

My Amac boxes are inverted. I prefer this setup for Avicularia/Iridopelma slings/juveniles. They may have larger Amac boxes for adults but my local store doesn't carry them, so I use various upright enclosures for adults.

Iridopelma hirsutum in a 4x4x7 Amac Box
IMG_5209 (2).JPG

IMG_5214 (2).JPG

IMG_5206 (2).JPG

IMG_5201 (2).JPG

I do use the 2x2x4 Amac boxes with the same setup for smaller slings.
This style enclosure is just my preference, certainly not a must. Just an idea that works.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
This is what I use as well, they work very good. You can also set the top half on a hard surface while you do any maintenance on the sub and they cant take off.

IMAG0828.jpg

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I'm more frugal, using empty 40oz. peanut butter containers. Inverted of course, I don't care for the "jack-in-the box" effect from top opening deli containers. 4"X7" are the dimensions, 12 currently in use. I make PB dog biscuits, so I have a constant supply to recycle.
I do like the AMAC containers though and it seems that more beginners are using them as enclosures. Readily available, simply drill vent holes, secure some decoration/anchor points, add sub in base, place a water cap, insert tenant and done. Quick, easy and look nice!
@CEC, the local Container store had large acrylic ones, not AMAC, and sale priced $25 each. Sales clerk said doll collectors use them. Didn't look at the exact dimensions, guessing 10"X10"X18" maybe 20".
I've the complete collection of Coca-Cola Beanie Babies housed in AMACs. :)

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I do my Avics like this as well and I've had good luck with them. I use a cork bark for extra mounting places and glue most of my plants to it.
For my slings I use a 2x2x4 box setup just like the one below.

Since everyone else is posting photos I'll add some here. This is the size I use for juvi Avics which is a 4X4X8:

Here is is with the A. sp. amazonica in it:

Last edited:

Turiell

Arachnopeon
@Trenor I have a stupid question. Do you glue the cork bark to the back of the enclosure, or do you cut it to fit? Also, where can I get these boxes? I've been fighting it hard but I truly want my very first A. Versicolor sling but have worried about the fact that they can jump out of their enclosures in a snap. With this container it looks like that wouldn't be much of an issue so I would love to have one. Oh also, what kind of drill do you use to make the holes? Could I use a soldering iron instead? Where should I put the holes and how many should there be? Sorry for all of the questions but I'd like to do this right. From the type of the enclosure to its set up, which I'm still reading up on.

But anyway, thanks in advance for any help you can offer! Hope everyone is doing well! :)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
@Trenor I have a stupid question. Do you glue the cork bark to the back of the enclosure, or do you cut it to fit? Also, where can I get these boxes? I've been fighting it hard but I truly want my very first A. Versicolor sling but have worried about the fact that they can jump out of their enclosures in a snap. With this container it looks like that wouldn't be much of an issue so I would love to have one. Oh also, what kind of drill do you use to make the holes? Could I use a soldering iron instead? Where should I put the holes and how many should there be? Sorry for all of the questions but I'd like to do this right. From the type of the enclosure to its set up, which I'm still reading up on.

But anyway, thanks in advance for any help you can offer! Hope everyone is doing well! :)
I use this cork backing and I cut it using a large exacto knife. On the smaller boxes I peel off the backing piece glued to the cork to make it thinner so you have more room.
The box in the photo I got here but you can find a similar one a lot cheaper here. I use a drill to make the holes. You can use a soldering iron but I've found with the hard plastics drilling the holes are much cleaner and nicer looking. It takes about the same time to drill or burn the holes IME.

When drilling, use a sharp drill bit so you don't crack the plastic. Don't apply a lot of pressure. I let the weight of the drill make the hole. If you put the two pieces (top and bottom) together it will help support the plastic sides and help when drilling.

You can see here I have three sets of holes along the two sides. I think I put 6 or so per row. You can use how many you need. You want good ventilation. I always use a small enough drill bit that the Ts I start in here can't get through. I put one hole in the top to help prevent condensation.
I drill the box. Cut the cork. Hot glue the plants to the cork. Glue the cork to the back of the box. Add the substrate and a water dish. Done.

I've reused one of these so far and cleaning out the old T web was pretty easy even with the cork glued in place.
Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is what I love to use for arboreal and O.B T's slings (max 3/3.5 cm, then re-house). Just behind my 'rasta Morgan Freeman' shrunken head.

The little (just a bit taller than a Marlboro Red 20 packet) and cheap glass enclosures we have here in Europe. Add/imagine a couple of fake leaves (not present in this now... pic just for show, only substrate and cork bark).

thumbnail_DSC_0654.jpg

Turiell

Arachnopeon
@Trenor Thank you so so much for your help! Thank you for putting links in to all of things you've bought, that will very helpful! Thank you again! You may hear back from me with more questions lol Hope you don't mind!

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
No problem. We are here to help.
One question, do these Amac boxes snap shut securely or will they come apart it knocked too hard? I've always been afraid to try these in fear that the lid wasn't tight hence why I usually stick with stackers

Trenor

Arachnoprince
One question, do these Amac boxes snap shut securely or will they come apart it knocked too hard? I've always been afraid to try these in fear that the lid wasn't tight hence why I usually stick with stackers
They fit snug but are not very hard to open. I keep mine on a wide shelf so they don't get knocked over. When I move them for maintenance I pick them up with one hand on the top section and one on the bottom section. That way the bottom stays secure. I've never had any issue with them not closing up well.