Avicularia Husbandry?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Would a 1.5" C. versicolor still be considered a sling? When does a spiderling become a juvenile, when it displays adult coloration or after a certain period of growth?
Basically a juvenile at that size (around 1/3 max size), you'll probably get different answers but generally speaking;

<1/3 max size = sling
1/3 - 2/3 max size = juvenile
> 2/3 max size = subadult/adult

cold blood

Staff member
Basically a juvenile at that size (around 1/3 max size), you'll probably get different answers but generally speaking;

<1/3 max size = sling
1/3 - 2/3 max size = juvenile
> 2/3 max size = subadult/adult
For me its very similar, but I look at the actual t.

Most spiderlings (not named Hapalopus) have a look as a sling....many, like most NW terrestrials, have a similar, yet distinctive look compared to their adult colors. Others like Y. diversipes or C. versicolor, are quite distinctive as a sling. Both of these are similar in that their sling look is quite distinctive from what they will look like as adults. At this stage, i consider them a spiderling.

Once they gain some size, they will attain their adult colors. They do this while still very small, and as soon as I see adult colors, i now consider them to be juveniles. They remain juvies until they reach sexual maturity. For males, sexual maturity means the presence of emboli, for females it means sclerotized spermatheca. At this time, I consider them to be adults, as my definition of adult is sexual maturity.

Now there is that tweener time, where its not sexually mature, but is still pretty large and close to maturity, this stage for me is called sub-adult.

Eggiess

Arachnopeon
I got him on the 12th, and it's now the 25th - I know they can go long periods without eating, but wanted to see if its still a danger? My avic tends to run away from the feed/prey in my tongs.

cold blood

Staff member
I know they can go long periods without eating, but wanted to see if its still a danger?
it was never in danger...not eating isn't something one generally has to worry about. It could go many months, especially if it was fed large prey or fed heavily before you got it.

Eggiess

Arachnopeon
Bad words on my part, I do not mean it was in danger. I was looking for something more akin to ‘worrisome’. Thank you

jimmyjohns

Arachnopeon
In the room I am thinking of keeping my C. Versi, there is a vent on the ceiling that circulates the air from the house (Not constant, but kicks on every once in a while). I keep the thermostat set to 70, but I am wondering if I placed my tarantula enclosure in line with where the vent blows out, will there be 'too much' ventilation (if there is such a thing), or at the very least make it colder or bothered. Or have I exceeded the realm of research and finally reached overthinking everything? (My enclosure comes friday I cannot wait)

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
In the room I am thinking of keeping my C. Versi, there is a vent on the ceiling that circulates the air from the house (Not constant, but kicks on every once in a while). I keep the thermostat set to 70, but I am wondering if I placed my tarantula enclosure in line with where the vent blows out, will there be 'too much' ventilation (if there is such a thing), or at the very least make it colder or bothered. Or have I exceeded the realm of research and finally reached overthinking everything? (My enclosure comes friday I cannot wait)
There is no benefit to doing that, just sounds like the air blowing would annoy the t tbh. If you provide adequate ventilation holes you will not need a machine to circulate the air for you. 70 degrees is a little on the cold side, but it should be fine. Itll probably just mean slower growth

jimmyjohns

Arachnopeon
There is no benefit to doing that, just sounds like the air blowing would annoy the t tbh. If you provide adequate ventilation holes you will not need a machine to circulate the air for you. 70 degrees is a little on the cold side, but it should be fine. Itll probably just mean slower growth
Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't trying to increase circulation, just an aspect of my room. Would you recommend a little electric heater for my room or would a small heating pad away from the enclosure be better? I suppose I could always try and convince my roommates to live a little warmer!

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't trying to increase circulation, just an aspect of my room. Would you recommend a little electric heater for my room or would a small heating pad away from the enclosure be better? I suppose I could always try and convince my roommates to live a little warmer!
70 really shouldn't be a problem, its just on the cold side. If you want id think a room heater would be better, but its not really necessary. Higher temps will increase growth rates tho