• The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews & reports. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.

Avicularia huriana


Old Timer
Jul 17, 2002
* Any special care or preliminary notes for the lovers -

The female was well fed prior to the male's introduction. He was a fresh male, and a bit nervous. He had already made his first sperm web.
* How they were paired -

11/4/03-I introduced the male into the female's enclosure. Her container is very unusual, and because of this, it would have been difficult to impossible to try the mating another way.
* Any observations on the hookup -

The male sucessfully inserted both palps one time, then ran away. I actually left him in overnight, but as he was going on to another female, I took him out before he could make a snack. I attempted 2 other times by introducing the male, but there was no interest on the female's part. She just ignored him and wouldn't leave her tube web. I sent the male off to the next person, and then he came back to me for one last try. Meanwhile, the other female had made a sac, but mine had not. 2-24-04- When he came back, I just let them cohabitate. It lasted 3 days, on the 3rd day, she was eating the male.
* Any special post mating care -

I fed the female as much as she would eat, I did not change temps or any other special care.

* Time to sac -

I found the female with an eggsac on 4-16-04

* Care of the sac -

I removed the sac on the 30th day, there were post embryos inside. There were over 100 eggs and post embryos combined.

* Time to emerge/hatch -

MOST of the eggs did NOT develop. They looked good, no mold or anything unusual, but also no growth. I separated the post embryos from the eggs, and incubated them separately. None of the eggs that had not developed, developed any further. I ended up with 25 first intar slings. Out of those, there were quite a few that were stuck together. I carefully separated them with my fingers, and tweezers. They started molting into 2nd instar on 6-8-04. Out of 25, 22 of them made it to second instar. 2 died, with one attempting to molt, and the other had a funny color and was in the death curl. The 3rd is still alive, but not molting. I am considering euthanizing it.

* The final details -

Out of an eggsac with approximately 120 eggs, 22 of them have made it to healthy 2nd instars. I don't know if removing the eggsac from the mother at the time that I did resulted in more losses, or if they would have all died had I not removed it.