Avicularia geroldi

Paiige

Arachnobaron
My LPS no longer has the G. iheringi available that I wanted...however, they do have a few .75" A. geroldi available. I did a search and didn't find much about them in the forums so I was wondering if anyone keeps them. I'd imagine care is similar to other Avics but in terms of temperament are they about the same as well?

Any information (and photos) anyone has would be appreciated! :D They also have C. versicolor (that was weird to write - darn reclassifications!) but they're a bit smaller than I'd like so I'm leaning towards the geroldi.

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
My LPS no longer has the G. iheringi available that I wanted...however, they do have a few .75" A. geroldi available. I did a search and didn't find much about them in the forums so I was wondering if anyone keeps them. I'd imagine care is similar to other Avics but in terms of temperament are they about the same as well?

Any information (and photos) anyone has would be appreciated! :D They also have C. versicolor (that was weird to write - darn reclassifications!) but they're a bit smaller than I'd like so I'm leaning towards the geroldi.
I have a A geroldi juvenile male. He is a sweetheart, very Avic. Where did you find the slings? I would love to get my hands on one or two. :) care is like any Avic.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I have a A geroldi juvenile male. He is a sweetheart, very Avic. Where did you find the slings? I would love to get my hands on one or two. :) care is like any Avic.
Good to know! Do you have photos? It seems like their coloring varies a lot, I'd love to see something that isn't on Google images! And it looks like you're in Sweden - they're available at a LPS here in Massachusetts.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

A. geroldi, (don't have my pics up of my females) are easy to keep like all the Avics. They are more skittish than A avic. They are almost a solid color, but their setae on the abdomen, specifically the dorso-lateral region is a extremely BRIGHT electric blue, ONLY observed with a flashlight mind you. Gross examination will show them to be same as body color.

They get to be good sized, about 5.5" maybe 6" DLS, not small bodied either. In fact, my AF was built more like a some of my Brachy terrestrials than some of my other adult AF avics. They are pretty bulky, as opposed to somewhat slender. All subjective mind you.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I have not seen variation in their color. If you have, link us up.
I will link when I get to my computer. It's mostly from Google images, some seem to be a deep royal blue and some appear as the same turquoise of young versicolors.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I will link when I get to my computer. It's mostly from Google images, some seem to be a deep royal blue and some appear as the same turquoise of young versicolors.
Google images is as reliable as a drunk person driving a car.

Juvi's can show some turquoise like color on the 1st body segment, but you need the right angle, unlike C. versicolor slings.

I've never seen a geroldi that wasn't so deep blue that it looked black (meaning w/out a flashlight, and even with a light at times too), so link us up! ;)

Paiige

Arachnobaron

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Still cute.
Agreed!
That's what my geroldi looks like, only dark dark blue. Darker than Navy Blue, all subjective clearly. But it's not a brighter blue like an A. metallica, def. not.
I'm...a little confused. That is a very, very dark blue, and the earlier photos, as well as the video, depict a bright blue I'd compare to A. metallica. Maybe we're seeing it differently? I know there's a huge amount of variation in color our eyes are capable of processing, esp. between males and females (humans, not Ts)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Agreed!

I'm...a little confused. That is a very, very dark blue, and the earlier photos, as well as the video, depict a bright blue I'd compare to A. metallica. Maybe we're seeing it differently? I know there's a huge amount of variation in color our eyes are capable of processing, esp. between males and females (humans, not Ts)
Not that much variation, we are still human. Who knows what your monitor produces for color vs mine. Some monitors are calibrated, some are not etc.

Regardless they are a dark, dark blue, not as bright as A. metallica.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Not that much variation, we are still human. Who knows what your monitor produces for color vs mine. Some monitors are calibrated, some are not etc.
Okay, either way I'm not upset :D It's so cute right now with the black toes. And it's feisty!

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Okay, either way I'm not upset :D It's so cute right now with the black toes. And it's feisty!

Chris, you silly goose :wacky: she's confused because of the loss of blue throughout their molt cycle, which can make their blue in pictures look dramatically different.
They are bright royal blue fresh from molt, enhanced by the camera flash(especially the abdominal setae) & IMO a much brighter blue than Avicularia metallica. In my picture linked above, her blue has faded because she was in heavy premolt. They're actually dark blue in person but some cameras with soft lighting (like mine) can't pick the blue up, so she appears black. They resemble Avicularia avicularia mature males when in premolt because of their solid black blue color.
My girl just molted a couple days ago, she's looking really good. Once I get her fed, I'll get some pictures and post them here. ;)