Avicularia Fasciculata?

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I apologize if I spelt the name wrong. I'm new to the hobby and only nineteen so mispellings happen frequently. :eek:

My spidey-pen pal from london recently bought five slings of this species and was telling me about it, I hadn't heard of them before despite my being an avicularia fan so I looked them up online.

What I found were some very gorgeous pictures but no clear answers. There seems to be major debate on whether or not Fasciculata is actually an Avic. or whether its actually a irodopelma sp., and then also read that its name had been changed to Avic. diversipes?

So basically I was jsut wondering if anyone had any more information on them and if this picture I found is actually an avicularia fasciculata, and if not what it is? :confused:

Oh and this picture does not belong to me. I found it through google which is why I am doubtful as to its accurate species.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah they are called Avicularia diversipes now, they are great T's although I personally think that they will get re-classified within time into another genus or maybe its own along with a few others as the males lack tibial hooks upon maturity like a few other of these pretty new Avicularia's that crop up from time to time......

They are great T's to own although they aren't very much like a typical Avicularia in temperament IMO, they can be a bit feisty so to speak, I have three right now and they love running off and making a break for it at any chance, although that makes them a bit more interesting to keep I suppose :)

Hanes

Arachnosquire
Yeah it name is diversipes and they are quite unmistakable, and in my opinion the prettiest avic, out of curiosity did he get them from the spider shop

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From what I understand, the "hobby" A. fasciculata was identified as actually being A. diversipes. There is speculation from some, however, that it actually belongs in the genus Iridopelma or their own genus.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
From what I understand, the "hobby" A. fasciculata was identified as actually being A. diversipes. There is speculation from some, however, that it actually belongs in the genus Iridopelma or their own genus.
They are not Iridopelma, totally different taxonomic description this may be worth reading click also mentioned are the Avicularia sooretama and Avicularia gamba

I reckon a future new genus, although that's yet to be worked on, there's a whole bunch of other stuff that needs sorting out first.....

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you!

Thank you! I was having a hard time figuring out on my own as I'm still a innocent little newbie to the hobby.

They are great T's to own although they aren't very much like a typical Avicularia in temperament IMO, they can be a bit feisty so to speak, I have three right now and they love running off and making a break for it at any chance, although that makes them a bit more interesting to keep I suppose :)
I have an interesting enough time keeping my mature female G. Rosea from escaping. I don't need any more escape artists!!! :eek:

Yeah it name is diversipes and they are quite unmistakable, and in my opinion the prettiest avic, out of curiosity did he get them from the spider shop
SHE actually got them from a fellow hobbyist who lives near her. He was lucky enough to succesfully breed some and get some slings.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, the T in that picture is very beautiful. I want one!

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They look pretty sweet even when they get older, this wee fella just moulted today too.....

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Every picture I've seen of them is absolutely gorgeous!!!

I can't wait till I'm finished moving soon and I can expand my collection.

:)

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is a MUST have T, regardless of whether you love avis or not. They are fast, colorful and will throw up a universal T hug sign in a second, what more can you ask for.

PIG-

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is a MUST have T, regardless of whether you love avis or not. They are fast, colorful and will throw up a universal T hug sign in a second, what more can you ask for.
PIG-
Enough money to buy as many as your heart desires? {D

madTparty

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I really love A. diversipes. Very pretty, at every stage IMO. You really can't go wrong with them. I also think they are one of the hardier of all the avics. So pretty good for someone with a little experience in the hobby, who wants to get into avics. :D

PIG-
Really? I have 4 (three slings, and a juvie) and they are all sweethearts! My juvie is calmer than any of my other avics. IDK, maybe this will change... But, I sure hope not. But I DO agree on "must have" ;)

possumburg

Arachnosquire
Those are beautiful! I said i was done buying Ts for a while, but now I'm not so sure lol. The iridescence on that last one is amazing!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are beautiful! I said i was done buying Ts for a while, but now I'm not so sure lol. The iridescence on that last one is amazing!
Buy one,that's all I can say.These things are NUTS.We attempted pairing ours yesterday,and the male ran laps around our apt,threat displays and all.AWESOME addition to any collection,a must have IMHO if arboreals are your thing....

madTparty

Arachnopeon
Just thought I'd put up some pics of my sweetie on here:

I don't handle my tarantulas for fun (in fact I'm pretty against it), but I was trying to get some pics of her, and she wanted to play. She was more calm than any other T I have. She walked up my arm and when I turned her around she walked right back into her cage, very slowly. None of the usual 'avic sprinting'. And she is always very calm when I open her cage. I'm not saying they are all like this, but I don't think you should think that they are all speed devils. :)

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I don't handle my tarantulas for fun (in fact I'm pretty against it), but I was trying to get some pics of her, and she wanted to play. She was more calm than any other T I have. She walked up my arm and when I turned her around she walked right back into her cage, very slowly. None of the usual 'avic sprinting'. And she is always very calm when I open her cage. I'm not saying they are all like this, but I don't think you should think that they are all speed devils. :)
Wait for it to get bigger.......................................

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

My Avic. is a Psycho speed demon (but I love him/her anyways. :) )

Irfin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So what is the verdict? Are they still called Avicularia Fasciculata? I bought a sling last summer from James at the Cow Palace and I believe I have a female. When I start looking for a male what species name should I be looking for?