Avicularia enclosure too big?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Hey all my 2"A. Versicolor has been in about a 6"x5"x10" enclosure since I got it. It's webbed up very nicely around the water dish I have at mid level, has been drinking and eating prekilled crickets well, but it just won't hunt. It molted about 3-4 weeks ago so I tried feeding it about 2 weeks after, and nothing, few days later tried another live cricket and nothing. Was a tad concerned so put a prekilled in there near its water dish, and it. Took it back into the web and now has a nice plump abdomen. So at least it ate, but it has me worried my enclosure is too big perhaps? Or am I jumping the gun? It's created a nice funnel Web and ghosts most of the time, should I risk a rehoused to a smaller enclosure?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Size-wise it should be fine. You might post a picture of your enclosure if you´re worried about your setup.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
This is the enclosure in question. Maybe it just wasn't hungry until the time I offered a prekilled, I just noticed I believe viper mentioned in another thread that size of enclosure may affect hunting ability.

Attachments

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I have a 4" A. avicularia like that. It won't eat anything that doesn't stumble right into it's web tube. The smaller 2" one I have will actively hunt. I'm not sure why.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
That should be fine thats about the same enclosure to T size ratio I have for all my spiders that size i.e. around 2 inches , some just have different behaviors

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey all my 2"A. Versicolor has been in about a 6"x5"x10" enclosure since I got it. It's webbed up very nicely around the water dish I have at mid level, has been drinking and eating prekilled crickets well, but it just won't hunt. It molted about 3-4 weeks ago so I tried feeding it about 2 weeks after, and nothing, few days later tried another live cricket and nothing. Was a tad concerned so put a prekilled in there near its water dish, and it. Took it back into the web and now has a nice plump abdomen. So at least it ate, but it has me worried my enclosure is too big perhaps? Or am I jumping the gun? It's created a nice funnel Web and ghosts most of the time, should I risk a rehoused to a smaller enclosure?
Man, that T has you trained already. Prepping its food, serving it on a platter etc.

Let it hunt, container not too large per se.

However, one thing to consider w/Avics, if they don't have silk down towards the bottom (assuming that's where the crickets are?) they are less likely to find prey as they rely on vibration to sense food primarily. Ts are ambush predators, they aren't hunters like Jumping Spiders are who rely on vision.

Also, some are not as active hunters like Hellblazer has observed. I have observed the same behavior across many Avics, some do, some are plain "lazy".

Last edited:

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Man, that T has you trained already. Prepping its food, serving it on a platter etc.

Let it hunt, container not too large per se.

However, one thing to consider w/Avics, if they don't have silk down towards the bottom (assuming that's where the crickets are?) they are less likely to find prey as they rely on vibration to sense food primarily. Ts are ambush predators, they aren't hunters like Jumping Spiders are who rely on vision.

Also, some are not as active hunters like Hellblazer has observed. I have observed the same behavior across many of Avics, some do, some are plain "lazy".
Haha thank you! Appreciate the good info :) don't want to get the T too spoiled! Lol