Avicularia care

Linzc79

Arachnopeon
Hi new here (and new T owner)... this post has probably been posted a million times but I haven't really figured out how to navigate the threads yet.
I currently have an Avicularia avicularia and 2 caribena versicolour who I probably focus the most on out of my T's because of so many mixed opinions on their care...mist/no mist, water dish/no water dish, dry/moist substrate...I personally have not yet seen them drink, I do have a water dish (bottle cap) in their enclosures but they are at the bottom. All enclosures are arboreal set up with cross ventilation holes. Room temp stays around 75 thanks to a baseboard heater but I'm not sure the humidity.

To end of my long winded post my question is what is really the best setup and care for these species or where on the board can I find the threads with all this info posted?

20211210_222142.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I personally keep mine dry with a water dish, I don’t mist, I don’t concern myself with humidity, and I feed like prey.

magouilles

Arachnoknight
dry with a water dish, good cross ventilation (yours already look good), basic temps
versi are rly sensitive to humidity, if the soil gets damp they can die pretty quickly
also such a fun specie! gorgeous colors and rly sweet

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi new here (and new T owner)... this post has probably been posted a million times but I haven't really figured out how to navigate the threads yet.
I currently have an Avicularia avicularia and 2 caribena versicolour who I probably focus the most on out of my T's because of so many mixed opinions on their care...mist/no mist, water dish/no water dish, dry/moist substrate...I personally have not yet seen them drink, I do have a water dish (bottle cap) in their enclosures but they are at the bottom. All enclosures are arboreal set up with cross ventilation holes. Room temp stays around 75 thanks to a baseboard heater but I'm not sure the humidity. To end of my long winded post my question is what is really the best setup and care for these species or where on the board can I find the threads with all this info posted? View attachment 406804 View attachment 406804

1. All life needs water.
2. Not all Avics will drink from a dish, OR they will, but later on seemingly "forget" it's still there. Read my link below, come back to this thread with SPECIFIC questions. Don't come to me at least with general questions like "what tips can you give me". No time to type crap you may already know. That's fine for other people, not I.
3. There's no conflict of opinions for Avic husbandry. There is conflict between accurate information and ignorant/stupid information. As a new person, one cannot always know the difference, hence NEVER USE CARE SHEETS.
4. You haven't seen them drink- so what- keep the dish. I haven't seen you drink either ;)
5. Mist- not necessary- but adding water drop wise onto webbing or vines etc so they can DRINK- necessary
6. I keep mine dry for very specific reasons, damp is fine. But damp is a relative term. Most new people go over board and kill all their Avics with moist/stuff cages. Don't be like them.
7. If you chase humidity values YOU WILL kill your T.

They aren't hard to care at all, but they have a narrow range of husbandry, and they aren't forgiving of mistakes like many other species.

Truthfully there's not a beginner/advanced question about Avic husbandry you are going to ask or think about that hasn't already been answered. I use google to search specifically within AB. Learn how to do that, and you will get good answers. Come back here when you READ the info, do the RESEARCH (usually before you get the animals!), and have questions about what you read.

Last edited:

magouilles

Arachnoknight
1. All life needs water.
2. Not all Avics will drink from a dish, OR they will, but later on seemingly "forget" it's still there. Read my link below, come back to this thread with SPECIFIC questions. Don't come to me at least with general questions like "what tips can you give me". No time to type crap you may already know. That's fine for other people, not I.
3. There's no conflict of opinions for Avic husbandry. There is conflict between accurate information and ignorant/stupid information. As a new person, one cannot always know the difference, hence NEVER USE CARE SHEETS.
4. You haven't seen them drink- so what- keep the dish. I haven't seen you drink either ;)
5. Mist- not necessary- but adding water drop wise onto webbing or vines etc so they can DRINK- necessary
6. I keep mine dry for very specific reasons, damp is fine. But damp is a relative term. Most new people go over board and kill all their Avics with moist/stuff cages. Don't be like them.
7. If you chase humidity values YOU WILL kill your T.

They aren't hard to care at all, but they have a narrow range of husbandry, and they aren't forgiving of mistakes like many other species.

Truthfully there's not a beginner/advanced question about Avic husbandry you are going to ask or think about that hasn't already been answered. I use google to search specifically within AB. Learn how to do that, and you will get good answers. Come back here when you READ the info, do the RESEARCH (usually before you get the animals!), and have questions about what you read.

couldn't have said it better
they don't require alot of care, but so easily killed
also I'm sorry😭I keep getting quibbled for not being specific enough on what I say but I meant wet wet sub and unforgivable on mistakes - I spotted your reaction👀
language isn't my forte

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I personally keep mine dry with a water dish- I'm too lazy to fill them up at times, I don’t mist, I don’t concern myself with humidity or really most of anything but getting more.
You don't say...? Slumlord

couldn't have said it better
they don't require alot of care, but so easily killed
This is true, versi are no easier to kill than other Avics regarding humidity. In fact, of all the Avics, versi are by far the best eaters, and fastest growers IME.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Linzc79

One more thing- your versi box doesn't seem to have holes in the top. I would definitely put holes in the top. Avics will often form a canopy for molting. They will not always go down below for drinking after a molt. I ALWAYS drop from above some water. If you are luicky the canopy will be dense and you can put just enough on the webbing to act as a natural bowl. They will drink from that post-molt if they notice it. Sometimes I lead mine to water.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
@Linzc79
One more thing- your versi box doesn't seem to have holes in the top.
@Linzc79
It looks like there are holes only on one side of the enclosure from the pic, good cross ventilation is ideal. Holes on the other side of the enclosure from where the front holes are, and the top. Maybe I'm not seeing it correctly though. But dry with water dish, plenty of cross ventilation and you have yourself a healthy versicolor. The setup looks great with the plant/cork placement.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Pretty much folllow the guidance in @viper69 thread linked above and you’re golden.

I keep my water dishes higher or lower depending on my enclosure size and space I have to work with. Half my avics build a tube directly to the water dish, the other half does not, or created webbing making it impossible to access. About once a week I do Drop water on the bark/leafs so the option is there.

Absolutely the only time I ever ‘mist’ the enclosure is to clean the inside walls; they ain’t the neatest houseguests and a damp microfiber cloth doesn't always get the tough stuff off. Soak-Sit-Wipe-Repeat (SSWR) as needed. No one wants to look at enclosure that looks like a snowball fight happened.

Linzc79

Arachnopeon
@Linzc79
It looks like there are holes only on one side of the enclosure from the pic, good cross ventilation is ideal. Holes on the other side of the enclosure from where the front holes are, and the top. Maybe I'm not seeing it correctly though. But dry with water dish, plenty of cross ventilation and you have yourself a healthy versicolor. The setup looks great with the plant/cork placement.
@Linzc79

One more thing- your versi box doesn't seem to have holes in the top. I would definitely put holes in the top. Avics will often form a canopy for molting. They will not always go down below for drinking after a molt. I ALWAYS drop from above some water. If you are luicky the canopy will be dense and you can put just enough on the webbing to act as a natural bowl. They will drink from that post-molt if they notice it. Sometimes I lead mine to water.
Ya its not the best pic... I did find the ones I took before I put all the decorations in and attached it. I don't have holes in top but I do have a water bottle that has a little pin head attachment that I have used to squeeze some water in on the webbing from the sides...so far though however, only one has an impressive web net. I thought about putting them in top but forgot until after I had already put the T's in 🤦‍♀️ not sure I want to drill in a couple now while they're in the enclosure

Attachments

Last edited:

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
@Linzc79 That should be great. Holes in the top would definitely help, but you've got a lot of ventilation holes anyway. That should be fine! It will outgrow it anyway :D