Avicularia care

Linzc79

Arachnopeon
1. All life needs water.
2. Not all Avics will drink from a dish, OR they will, but later on seemingly "forget" it's still there. Read my link below, come back to this thread with SPECIFIC questions. Don't come to me at least with general questions like "what tips can you give me". No time to type crap you may already know. That's fine for other people, not I.
3. There's no conflict of opinions for Avic husbandry. There is conflict between accurate information and ignorant/stupid information. As a new person, one cannot always know the difference, hence NEVER USE CARE SHEETS.
4. You haven't seen them drink- so what- keep the dish. I haven't seen you drink either ;)
5. Mist- not necessary- but adding water drop wise onto webbing or vines etc so they can DRINK- necessary
6. I keep mine dry for very specific reasons, damp is fine. But damp is a relative term. Most new people go over board and kill all their Avics with moist/stuff cages. Don't be like them.
7. If you chase humidity values YOU WILL kill your T.

They aren't hard to care at all, but they have a narrow range of husbandry, and they aren't forgiving of mistakes like many other species.

Truthfully there's not a beginner/advanced question about Avic husbandry you are going to ask or think about that hasn't already been answered. I use google to search specifically within AB. Learn how to do that, and you will get good answers. Come back here when you READ the info, do the RESEARCH (usually before you get the animals!), and have questions about what you read.

I actually came to arachnoboard because it was recommended as a reliable source for proper information like this regarding T care other than just googling because in doing so I've come across various different information. Also WHY I stated that this may have been asked before but I haven't figured out how to navigate this site and there is NO HARM in asking. So if this is only for people who know all about them then I'll take my questions elsewhere 🤷‍♀️ usually it makes more sense to ask people with experience than to read everything you see online ESPECIALLY when not all information is the same everywhere

@Linzc79 That should be great. Holes in the top would definitely help, but you've got a lot of ventilation holes anyway. That should be fine! It will outgrow it anyway :D
Lol that's what I'm waiting for.... I guess you can say their "forever home" is already on its way to being set up they just need to be big enough to go inside lol just need them to make it that far 😅

Last edited:

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I'll take my questions elsewhere
This IS the best place to find answers. People like @viper69 have been around for a very long time and are very active here. People sometimes get tired of answering the same questions over and over, and over... and over, for over literally a decade or more. Not saying you're doing anything wrong. As he stated previously, sometimes the best way to search, and the way I search, is by going to google and typing things like "How to care for Versicolor Arachnoboards" or "Versicolor moisture arachnoboards" etc. Anyway, You got great answers here for your questions, regardless of if you think someone was rude or not, which they weren't..

You could check other websites, but this site has literally the best information out there. You actually got a very good answer from Viper, he usually is very blunt and short. You got a list from him. Congratulations lol

just need them to make it that far 😅
Dry substrate with a water dish, and proper feeding will do it :)

Linzc79

Arachnopeon
This IS the best place to find answers. People like @viper69 has been around for a very long time and are very active here. People sometimes get tired of answering the same questions over and over, and over... and over, for over literally a decade or more. Not saying you're doing anything wrong. As he stated previously, sometimes the best way to search, and the way I search, is by going to google and typing things like "How to care for Versicolor Arachnoboards" or "Versicolor moisture arachnoboards" etc. Anyway, You got great answers here for your questions, regardless of if you think someone was rude or not, which they weren't..

You could check other websites, but this site has literally the best information out there. You actually got a very good answer from Viper, he usually is very blunt and short. You got a list from him. Congratulations lol
Lol sometimes it takes re reading a comment a couple times before processing... and definitely agreed I'm actually grateful for the info 😊 and sorry if I offended him for asking.
I had actually thought there was a way to search threads from the site but if it's easier from Google to find the thread than I'm all for it! This thread actually answered more than just avic care for me, now finding my way around threads on the site will be easier too thanks!

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Lol sometimes it takes re reading a comment a couple times before processing... and definitely agreed I'm actually grateful for the info 😊 and sorry if I offended him for asking.
I had actually thought there was a way to search threads from the site but if it's easier from Google to find the thread than I'm all for it! This thread actually answered more than just avic care for me, now finding my way around threads on the site will be easier too thanks!
In my experience, using Google to search Arachnoboards has worked better than the search function within this site. If you do it the way we suggested, Google will give you a list of answers from threads from "arachnoboards.com" and you just click "More from Arachnoboards.com" and you'll have tons of access to answers regarding that subject, all from this website. I don't think he or I was offended at the least, just making sure you're not offended. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
not sure I want to drill in a couple now while they're in the enclosure
I've done it with a manual, hand drill for a few holes on the top. I would not recommend doing it with a power drill. Not suggesting you should do it, just telling you this to demonstrate Ts are not as fragile as people make them out to be.

I actually came to arachnoboard because it was recommended as a reliable source for proper information like this regarding T care other than just googling because in doing so I've come across various different information. Also WHY I stated that this may have been asked before but I haven't figured out how to navigate this site and there is NO HARM in asking. So if this is only for people who know all about them then I'll take my questions elsewhere 🤷‍♀️ usually it makes more sense to ask people with experience than to read everything you see online ESPECIALLY when not all information is the same everywhere
AB is the most reliable resource, but even here you will find "conflicting" information at times.

Now, I didn't tell you to just google, were you erroneously implying that?

If so, you are completely wrong, reread my post, and see Mori's post with the link to learn how to do what I described with google searching to effectively find AB-only threads etc. It's not rocket science, if you know how to type, click on a link, and put words in a search field than you can do this. If not, now's a great to time to learn.

I'll tell you right now, I never search using AB's built-in search engine. It's far better than it used to be. However I am so used to doing it with google that I don't use it too often. Historically it wasn't always so good unfortunately.

I can't tell you how to navigate a web site, you point and left-click on words that are links. Maybe you have not used the internet? I really don't want to assume, nor can I tell you how to explore a website.

Again I didn't tell you to read everything on-line. See my original post.

The reason I tell people to search is because there is A LOT of useful information here. One thread leads to another, and leads to another. Within each thread is often information I didn't know unless I had read it myself.

Instead of learning 1 fact to my question, I learned 10 facts etc all related to my question. OR 10 facts I needed to know but were not directly related to my original question. There are very specific reasons why many of the seasoned keepers here tell people to "do the research". The reasons are all based on the new person learning info.

Often times a single question that a new person asks can be answered, but they don't always understand the answer because they don't have a full appreciation of the additional knowledge that would be learned by doing the research.

Everyone learns differently, if all you want to do is ask questions then so be it that's how you learn.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Linzc79

Arachnopeon
In my experience, using Google to search Arachnoboards has worked better than the search function within this site. If you do it the way we suggested, Google will give you a list of answers from threads from "arachnoboards.com" and you just click "More from Arachnoboards.com" and you'll have tons of access to answers regarding that subject, all from this website. I don't think he or I was offended at the least, just making sure you're not offended. :)
Lol no not at all .... I'm sure I'll have this figured out in no time now that I've had the help ty!

Linzc79

Arachnopeon
I've done it with a manual, hand drill for a few holes on the top. I would not recommend doing it with a power drill. Not suggesting you should do it, just telling you this to demonstrate Ts are not as fragile as people make them out to be.

AB is the most reliable resource, but even here you will find "conflicting" information at times.

Now, I didn't tell you to just google, were you erroneously implying that?

If so, you are completely wrong, reread my post, and see Mori's post with the link to learn how to do what I described with google searching to effectively find AB-only threads etc. It's not rocket science, if you know how to type, click on a link, and put words in a search field than you can do this. If not, now's a great to time to learn.

I'll tell you right now, I never search using AB's built-in search engine. It's far better than it used to be. However I am so used to doing it with google that I don't use it too often. Historically it wasn't always so good unfortunately.

I can't tell you how to navigate a web site, you point and left-click on words that are links. Maybe you have not used the internet? I really don't want to assume, nor can I tell you how to explore a website.

Again I didn't tell you to read everything on-line. See my original post.

The reason I tell people to search is because there is A LOT of useful information here. One thread leads to another, and leads to another. Within each thread is often information I didn't know unless I had read it myself.

Instead of learning 1 fact to my question, I learned 10 facts etc all related to my question. OR 10 facts I needed to know but were not directly related to my original question. There are very specific reasons why many of the seasoned keepers here tell people to "do the research". The reasons are all based on the new person learning info.

Often times a single question that a new person asks can be answered, but they don't always understand the answer because they don't have a full appreciation of the additional knowledge that would be learned by doing the research.

Everyone learns differently, if all you want to do is ask questions then so be it that's how you learn.

Good luck.
I'm actually glad I started this whole thread now, not just for the original reason but because I now have an understanding of how to get around this site. I did try using the built in search engine and that was my exact issue...I was getting nowhere so just decided to ask. Now I've gotten many answers plus a way to get around the site much easier so thank you 😊 and I will try to attempt the holes as well... life got easier today 😉

I should add when I get the notifications they come in all over the place so I see some messages at different times 🤷‍♀️

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm actually glad I started this whole thread now, not just for the original reason but because I now have an understanding of how to get around this site. I did try using the built in search engine and that was my exact issue...I was getting nowhere so just decided to ask. Now I've gotten many answers plus a way to get around the site much easier so thank you 😊 and I will try to attempt the holes as well... life got easier today 😉
You're quite welcome. If you remain here you will see over time the people that do some research on their animals and come with pointed questions get the most effective answers.

When someone writes "Does my T need more space", and doesn't provide ANY info additional- the answers they receive are not effective because the OP provides NADA.

Honestly, a lot of people who ask questions here, have no idea how to properly ask a question- they literally leave out NEEDED info, YET expect us to read their damn minds.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I should add when I get the notifications they come in all over the place so I see some messages at different times 🤷‍♀️
I have them on my phone and my desktop computer. I don't think you NEED the top holes if you don't want to attempt, but they won't hurt at all, and may help a bit. It would be probably easier to just take the spider out and do it with a drill, depending on how thin the acrylic is, but doing it with a hand drill and having the spider stay in there is ok too. I use an electric drill with a small drill bit that's smaller than my spider's carapace (before I house it in there). Faster that way too. Just don't put too much pressure on the acrylic or it will crack. Nice and slow and smooth.

Linzc79

Arachnopeon
You're quite welcome. If you remain here you will see over time the people that do some research on their animals and come with pointed questions get the most effective answers.

When someone writes "Does my T need more space", and doesn't provide ANY info additional- the answers they receive are not effective because the OP provides NADA.
I gotcha now...makes sense to me thank you 😊

I have them on my phone and my desktop computer. I don't think you NEED the top holes if you don't want to attempt, but they won't hurt at all, and may help a bit. It would be probably easier to just take the spider out and do it with a drill, depending on how thin the acrylic is, but doing it with a hand drill and having the spider stay in there is ok too. I use an electric drill with a small drill bit that's smaller than my spider's carapace (before I house it in there). Faster that way too. Just don't put too much pressure on the acrylic or it will crack. Nice and slow and smooth.
They're the AMAC containers and yes they're pretty thin but I actually didn't have too hard of a time drilling the holes I ended up getting a special bit for the acrylic. One versi will happily exit his/her enclosure the other versi and A. Avic choose to stay in their logs so I'll try to give it a go and see what happens... even if I can just get one hole close enough to the web I guess it will help.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not needed at all....it has more than enough.
It's not about need for the T- it makes it easier to have a few strategically placed holes on the top to add some drinking water if a canopy is made, post-molt. it's subjective.

cold blood

Staff member
It's not about need for the T- it makes it easier to have a few strategically placed holes on the top to add some drinking water post-molt. it's subjective.
That is true, but the holes would need to be larger, too. But she could certainly do the same through the side holes.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
@viper69 @cold blood Yes. Subjective. More holes on the top wouldn't be a bad thing. As far as how many it currently has, it has enough cross ventilation there for a good spider to live in but having more on top wouldn't hurt more than not having them. Whether it is needed for the T for survival, or for the owner to add water to the top of the webbing. But a syringe dropper would work currently either way to water the top of the web. Either way, should be fine for it, it will outgrow it anyway. :) I learn from both of you often. So whatever advice you both give, I listen to. But sometimes I have to choose if there are conflicting advice if someone says this way, and another says the other way etc. lol But more often than not, you're both right.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is true, but the holes would need to be larger, too. But she could certainly do the same through the side holes.
Maybe on the hole size, it would depend on what she used to apply the water. I have very small liquid dispensers I add onto syringes, they work great.

True on side holes, but I ran into an issue with a couple of Avics where the side was not so effective.

But more often than not, you're both right.
thanks, because we apply a lot of common sense and experience.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
the people that do some research on their animals and come with pointed questions get the most effective answers
This is the way that life operates in so many ways, but people expect the opposite online. They expect people to read their minds and guess what they do not already know and fill in the blanks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is the way that life operates in so many ways, but people expect the opposite online. They expect people to read their minds and guess what they do not already know and fill in the blanks.
Yeah Mori, you and I have seen that so often here. It's ridiculously ignorant to be polite.

I'm not here to fill in the blanks, nor read minds. Ask some direct answers, and get some direct answers- you'd think that would be easy..NOPE, because the former doesn't happen all that much.