Taryndactyl0330

Arachnopeon
Not really. If the set up is okay and its eating, theres no real issue. They usually start webbing alot within a week or two.

Tag me if you have any other questions or directly reply to one of my posts, otherwise i wont be able to see your question in my notifications. :)
What about removing food from webbing? Everything that I have read about T care says to remove food after 24 hrs to prevent mold & mites. So now I am very nervous, because I also breed isopods, so I know how easy it is to get mites. We recently bought our first two slings, a C. Versicolor & a Grammostola Pulchripes. I read not to disturb the webbing on the arboreal Ts, but I am just so unsure what to do about the nutrigrubs that the C. Versicolor left half eaten in its web. Nothing I research will tell me if this is safe or not, so feeding has been stressful.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
What about removing food from webbing? Everything that I have read about T care says to remove food after 24 hrs to prevent mold & mites. So now I am very nervous, because I also breed isopods, so I know how easy it is to get mites. We recently bought our first two slings, a C. Versicolor & a Grammostola Pulchripes. I read not to disturb the webbing on the arboreal Ts, but I am just so unsure what to do about the nutrigrubs that the C. Versicolor left half eaten in its web. Nothing I research will tell me if this is safe or not, so feeding has been stressful.
You can use a pair of tongs or forceps to remove the leftover bits of food from the webbing.

Mites pose virtually no danger whatsoever to the tarantula.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The whole "dont touch the webbing or youre bad" mentality is hugely overrated. I have cages i break webbing everytime i open them. Its not a big deal.

Id definitely damage some webbing and remove it.

Taryndactyl0330

Arachnopeon
You can use a pair of tongs or forceps to remove the leftover bits of food from the webbing.

Mites pose virtually no danger whatsoever to the tarantula.
Really? Then what is all the fuss about preventing mites? Mites are literally everywhere, in everything, & hard to avoid so I have been paranoid about them finding their way in with the Ts thinking they pose some sort of harm or significant stress. Haha

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Really? Then what is all the fuss about preventing mites? Mites are literally everywhere, in everything, & hard to avoid so I have been paranoid about them finding their way in with the Ts thinking they pose some sort of harm or significant stress. Haha
The thought that mites were a huge pest for Tarantulas is decades old now, becoming quite antiquated.
Give this thread a read:
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/all-you-need-to-know-about-mites.309211/

Taryndactyl0330

Arachnopeon
Thank you guys. I can rest a bit easier now haha. I have done a lot of research on these guys, but half the stuff you read says “not for beginners, super easy to stress & kill” & the other half says “no they’re great! Just don’t keep too wet & provide great ventilation”. Just some background info: I actually got these for my bf. I like reptiles & bugs, but I have a huge fear of spiders. I helped him research the best fit for him, & decided to surprise him with the Chaco Golden Knee, but along the way, I kinda fell in love with the C. Versi & got “him” that one as well. I’m fascinated by them, but its still taking some work to get completely over my fear & now I’m learning that they spray poop & rub their hairs all over your arm?? Oh lordy

The thought that mites were a huge pest for Tarantulas is decades old now, becoming quite antiquated.
Give this thread a read:
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/all-you-need-to-know-about-mites.309211/
Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

nxcodxangelo

Arachnopeon
I recently got a 1" A. Purpurea as my 2nd Tarantula. I have been overthinking how they should be cared for since I've read about SADS.

I believe asking for feedback regarding my setup would ease my state. Here's my setup:

I was also told by the seller that I should refrain from putting a water dish and should mist twice a week until it has molted again. Can anyone confirm this?

Attachments

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I recently got a 1" A. Purpurea as my 2nd Tarantula. I have been overthinking how they should be cared for since I've read about SADS.

I believe asking for feedback regarding my setup would ease my state. Here's my setup:

I was also told by the seller that I should refrain from putting a water dish and should mist twice a week until it has molted again. Can anyone confirm this?
Welcome! Keep the water dish and what I also do is drop a little water on the leaf and bark once or twice a week so that it has access to water both from the water below and higher up. Looks like your ventilation will provide good air exchange which is a great thing because they don’t thrive with stuffy environments. 👍

nxcodxangelo

Arachnopeon
Welcome! Keep the water dish and what I also do is drop a little water on the leaf and bark once or twice a week so that it has access to water both from the water below and higher up. Looks like your ventilation will provide good air exchange which is a great thing because they don’t thrive with stuffy environments. 👍
Thank you! Should I keep my substrate fairly dry or should I moist some parts of it?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Thank you! Should I keep my substrate fairly dry or should I moist some parts of it?
I keep mine dry, but you can moisten a little so long as there is good ventilation -- what you want to avoid is a damp, stuffy enclosure -- that's probably the #1 killer of captive Avics.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have a 1/2" avic sling coming on Tuesday, and was hoping to get feedback on the enclosure I have set up for it. Not sure how much climbing/hiding stuff I need and want to make sure I have enough ventilation...if anyone has suggestions, it would be super helpful! I am a total newbie at this.

Attachments

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have a 1/2" avic sling coming on Tuesday, and was hoping to get feedback on the enclosure I have set up for it. Not sure how much climbing/hiding stuff I need and want to make sure I have enough ventilation...if anyone has suggestions, it would be super helpful! I am a total newbie at this.
half inch? I would do a 5 oz deli cup with top ventilation and a few rows around the side.

here is what I keep a few 1” slings in. Its smaller than a 16 oz deli cup if thats what you have pictured.

3BADB7C0-C6B1-48A6-9A38-32FC6F127F72.jpeg 45B47604-A683-4F3C-91F1-91D8E4950AD2.jpeg

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
half inch? I would do a 5 oz deli cup with top ventilation and a few rows around the side.
Yes that's a 16 oz container. I have some 4 oz size if that would do -- not sure if I have something small enough to fit in it as a water dish though. I'll see what I can put together and post a second set of pictures. Thanks for the input!

Yes that's a 16 oz container. I have some 4 oz size if that would do -- not sure if I have something small enough to fit in it as a water dish though. I'll see what I can put together and post a second set of pictures. Thanks for the input!
Found a smaller cap and a smaller leaf that fit in one of my 4 oz cups. Does this look better? Do I need holes all the way around the sides?

Attachments

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Ended up going with the 16oz container. Sling is actually almost an inch leg span. Unfortunately I think the substrate was too damp, and there's some condensation, but it is drying up nicely around all the vent holes.

As best I can tell, it has only laid a few strands of web so far, but it ate a cricket yesterday, and was very calm about changing out its water dish today. I wiped up some of the condensation while I had the top off to change water, hoping that helps make sure it isn't getting too swampy. 🤞

Attachments

zlambert

Arachnopeon
Here is my setup for my pink toe sling. Water dish at bottom. Seems to be plenty of anchor points. Spends most of its times just walking around the top. Tomorrow will be day 8 since I’ve received it and put it in the enclosure. I’ve dropped a couple pinhead crickets. Pieces of mealworms. But I’ve never seen it physically eat. No webbing yet. Should I be concerned? Anything I need to change? Thanks

I’m a NEWBIE

Attachments

zlambert

Arachnopeon
View attachment 348715
Young juvenile Iridopelma zorodes
View attachment 348716
Breeding my evil Iridopelma hirsutum.
View attachment 348717
Same Caribena versicolor. Slowly growing up.
Species under 5" do well in those one gallon clear plastic jars from Walmart. Larger ones get Sterlite tubs. Both are cheap and effective.

View attachment 326915
Ybyrapora diversipes. Same one as I've posted throughout this thread. Actually a sling in my original post. Amazing how the colors have changed as it's grown.
View attachment 326916
MM Iridopelma hirsutum. Uncommon to see around.
View attachment 326917
Caribena laeta just beginning the transition form the blue sling colors into the mixed brown and blue juvi coloration. Adults are a full brown.
View attachment 326918
Probably blurry on a computer screen, but the blue is really insane on young Caribena versicolor. There's no camera flash or editing here.
View attachment 326919
A juruensis M1. Freshly molted.
Here is my setup for my pink toe sling. Water dish at bottom. Seems to be plenty of anchor points. Spends most of its times just walking around the top. Tomorrow will be day 8 since I’ve received it and put it in the enclosure. I’ve dropped a couple pinhead crickets. Pieces of mealworms. But I’ve never seen it physically eat. No webbing yet. Should I be concerned? Anything I need to change? Thanks

I’m a NEWBIE

Attachments