Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Avicularia care

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Venom1080, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    This is my enclosure for my avic I will be doing moss and a water dish it is in a 8 by 8 by 12 exo Terra just was wondering if it needs anything else or if it is good..

Attached Files:

2. MrWotiWo

MrWotiWo Arachnopeon

This is a great thread. Thank you. I currently own a A. Avicularia. Lots of good information. I been going through these forums, and I have learned a lot in these past few days. I do have some questions for Ventilation. On my tubware(its tall) I have holes at the bottom and the lid. Is that ok? I've watched some youtube videos, and thats how they said to do it.

3. Post a picture of the enclosure. Youtube is generally not a good source for accurate tarantula info.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

At the bottom? Under the substrate? Or do you mean at the bottom of the sides? Pics can work better than words in this case ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. MrWotiWo

MrWotiWo Arachnopeon

I will take some pictures today and post them.

6. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Location isnt always critical, as long as there are multiple points of ventilation, it will promote air movement.

Having vents at the bottom and top should provide this.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. MrWotiWo

MrWotiWo Arachnopeon

Thank you. That helps.

20190611_175435.jpg This is what i was asking. I added more holes as you can see, but i was tought to create a cross flow from the bottom to the top. I also made more holes the lid.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Andrea82

That's a perfect Avicularia sling cup :) well done!

• Like Like x 1
  9. mortys mom

mortys mom Arachnopeon

Hi guys! So I am new to tarantulas and got most of my information from a family friend. This is Morty, my pinktoe! This has been the set-up since my boyfriend and I got him/her in December. Morty seems to be happy in this setup, webbing in the cork log and molting, and growing. Is there anything I can do to the terrarium to make it better? We're thinking of adding live plants, but haven't made the jump yet.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Hygrometers are useless. There is no need to try to maintain some arbitrary humidity reading.

Make the cork log more vertical.

Keep it simple: stick with fake plants. The conditions that live plants and tarantulas require are often incompatible. For example, most plants need sunlight, but placing the enclosure in direct sunlight is a good way to cook your tarantula. Additionally, live plants give off a lot of moisture, and without excellent ventilation, this can contribute to a stuffy enclosure. (Moist, stuffy enclosures are the #1 Avic killers.)

The plants should be in the top half of the enclosure. A healthy Avic seldom spends much time on the ground, but they love leafy clutter in the top half of the enclosure and will use it for cover and anchor points for webbing.

Although not everyone agrees that that screen/mesh lids are hazardous for arboreals, I would personally replace or cover it.

While arboreals are better climbers, their tarsal claws can still get stuck in a fine mesh. My Avicularia did seem to have trouble walking across the screen. Sometimes, she would pull her foot free and keep moving, but once she fell in the attempt. Fortunately, she landed in the water dish and was unharmed, but I took that for a warning and fixed it.

not my tarantula, but:

A common replacement is acrylic with holes drilled into it. If you're handy, you can make an entirely new lid. If you're less handy, here is basin79's fix:

See also: Replace screen tops!

I devised an even easier fix, which I initially intended as temporary but kept using because it worked. I cut a square of very thin cotton from a worn-out bedsheet. I removed the screen lid, placed the sheet of cotton over it so that it covered the mesh, and then replaced the lid. The result is a sheet that is loosely draped below the mesh inside the cage.

[​IMG]

This effectively discourages my arboreals from climbing on the ceiling, as they seem to realize that they aren't getting secure footing. (I've seen them take a tentative step or two onto the cloth and then turn back.)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  11. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I like the wood how it is...it leaves a space behind the wood.

The only thing id change would be to move the plants closer to the wood....they work together and should be in contact with one another.

12. Andrea82

Looks especially good in the picture! Almost like a cozy tent or something :D
    The cotton doesn't impair ventilation?

13. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

Just felt like adding updated pics of the spiders in the post.
    A avicularia (pet store M1), Ybyrapora diversipes, A juruensis M2 (ex-sp Peru purple) and a few others. I've been slowly collecting the genus. :) IMG_20190611_124716_643.jpg
    A juruensis M1 (ex aurantiaca)
    IMG_20190625_111321_230.jpg
    A variegata M1 (ex amazonica and probably bicegoi)
    IMG_20190615_134832_199.jpg
    Also A variegata M1. Juvie colors.
    IMG_20190611_122127_855.jpg
    Caribena versicolor (ex Avicularia versi)
    IMG_20190513_142131_739.jpg
    Same A avic M1
    IMG_20190215_141443_586.jpg
    Bunch of them.
    IMG_20190508_173201_475.jpg
    Subadult female Ybyrapora diversipes. About 3.5".
    IMG_20190420_113718_058.jpg
    Avicularia juruensis M2. Note the extreme color difference to M1. There's a large size difference as well.this being the larger.
    IMG_20190325_064615_785.jpg
    Adult female Iridopelma hirsutum. It should be noted this thread applies to Iridopelma as well. @Ungoliant ?

• Love Love x 2
  14. dianemarie

dianemarie Arachnopeon Active Member

I found your post and ty for putting this up. I have asked a lot of questions and appreciate when you answer. This was a great resource

• Like Like x 1
  15. what are most of you keeping adults in? i see lots of sling enclosures. any good Walmart type of enclosures or ones on amazon? thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.