1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avicularia care

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Venom1080, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking

Advertisement
    All makes sense now lol. My bad for the mixup.

• Beer Beer x 1
  2. Wendymacca

Wendymacca Arachnopeon

What's the green one called that's lush

That's been really helpful ty for all the help people have gave me am new to this a been so worried about brain(pink toe) she got me stressed. I will change her enclosure tomorrow hope she likes her new home

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2018
  3. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Ybyrapora diversipes. They look much different as adults. That's just sling colors. Glad it helped. :)

4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Fuk Da Meme Police

ABQ
    I’m so excited... here is my enclosure for critique...

Water dish on the ground? I had seen one where it was glued to the cork?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Venom1080

Water dish on ground is fine. Make sure that large piece of bark can't shift too much if you move the cage. I've added some hot glue to stabilize pieces like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AngelDeVille

ABQ

Thanks!

The cork is well rounded at the bottom, almost closed, and I have it tilted slightly back with LEGO pieces under the substrate.

I was just thinking of hot glueing it to the glass for added security.

7. Venom1080

If you can gently shake the cage without it moving, it's good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    24 hour update...

When I got her she was in a bare enclosure with no hides or structures and wet swampy substrate.

She compensated by building a small web 3/4 of the way up in the corner of the glass.

Last night she started webbing on the glass on the left side toward the back.

Today I tilted the cork completely back against glass hoping she would realize there is a much better place to stay.

As far as I can tell she has spent the entire day on the glass.....

[​IMG]

9. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

I would add more leafy clutter in the top half of the enclosure. (This serves as clutter and anchor points for webbing.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    I was thinking of adding more, I think I'll switch them out for silk maybe.

Good news! I placed an adult male dubia with a crushed head wedged behind the plant on the left.

This morning she was on the cork with the roach firmly in her clutches, I'm hoping she decides to stay on the cork!

11. Ungoliant

They like to hunt from cork. The cork is basically a hunting platform, with the leaves nearby for webbing and cover.

• Like Like x 2
  12. AngelDeVille

ABQ
    I was a little worried about her because it sounded like she had been at petco for a couple months in a swamp with nothing to climb on, but leave it to her to remember how to be a spider....

What do you think? glue maybe two more bunches of leaves at about the same level?

I am going to see if I can pack the cocofibre a little better, as it looks a little loose. but I'm leaving it fairly dry.

Water dish is on the ground, and once she webs maybe a spritz of water in her web once a week.

13. No need honestly. If it rocks enough to bother the Avic, it will simply web it stiff

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ungoliant

Yes, add more leaves at that level.

I wouldn't worry too much about the substrate. Healthy Avics barely spend any time on their substrate anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Venom1080

I have a lot more Poecilotheria pictures than avics, but here's a few recents.
    IMG_20180722_160958_099.jpg
    Avicularia aurantiaca. Anyone in Canada with a male, please contact me!
    IMG_20180706_144312_551.jpg IMG_20180706_144312_553.jpg
    Ybyrapora diversipes fresh molt
    IMG_20180706_144312_553.jpg
    IMG_20180609_162012_070.jpg
    Avicularia avicularia morphotype probably #1
    IMG_20180724_012726_664.jpg
    New undescribed species I got from a import I was lucky enough to be a part of.
    A sp pulchra.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  16. ShyDragoness

ShyDragoness Arachnoknight Active Member

That last image is a stunner!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  17. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I agree, lots more plants up top...how many depend on what you have available.

I have never glued any wood in place for any t, I just don't see it as necessary and its not something I want to have to scrape off next time I use the enclosure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Venom1080

It generally isn't. I haven't glued anything in years to be honest. Just a last resort thing I keep in mind.

More sub, particularly around the hide being used, is just as effective honestly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NaCon

NaCon Arachnopeon Active Member

Getting my first T in a few weeks, funnily enough it’s a Caribena Versicolour, this thread was super helpful and it’s given me a lot more knowledge on the standard care then I have read. Thanks :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  20. Aracnophob

Aracnophob Arachnopeon

Just doing research. Thinking about getting a T. I almost died from an unidentified spider bite. And I'm looking to break my fear. This thread has been amazingly helpful.

• Like Like x 2